Author Topic: ok, are they really worth it? a $1000 scope better than a $50 scope  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: ok, are they really worth it? a $1000 scope better than a $50 scope
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
.  Thousands of deer die every season with less than $100 scopes.

Several thousands are missed or wounded every year also

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
.  Thousands of deer die every season with less than $100 scopes.

Several thousands are missed or wounded every year also

Very True. And probably at least half of those missed are by once a year hunters who drive up in their $50,000 4X4, with their $3000.00 custom built rifle, sporting a $2500.00 scope. God Love em, they are good for the economy. ;D
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
perhaps I should have responded like this instead

98% of all statistics are made up

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
That's also a fact, HT.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »

I never could understand why someone would rather have LOTS of average guns when they could have a couple REALLY well made superior guns, with top of the line optics?  AND money left over to go hunting!

Me either. I'd rather have just one of the firearms that are in my cabinet instead of all the guns and optics that Walmart sells in a year.
I am too poor, and i work too hard, to waste my money on poor quality products.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »
Never purchased a gun from there, because I want to talk to someone who knows something and most of them don't, but wally world does sell the Wby Vanguard. I own a couple, I don't point them at things I don't want dead because they will do better than I'm able to most times.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »
This post may never end.  The reason is, there are some people who will not admit that they are so cheap that they will not purchase a quality scope.  They blame their finances, but yet they have years to save.  They say cheap is good, because that is all they have ever, and will ever, experience.  They are satisfied with less than the best.  They are satisfied with crap if it saves them money.  They believe what they have been told, and what they want to hear, rather than what they have experienced.  They thrive on being cheap and are proud of it.  They have no desire or experience to try a better product.  It's a cop out.

You get what you pay for, especially of all things, in optics.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Can you kill a deer with a cheap scope?  Absolutely.  Will a smart old trophy deer present itself during a time and under conditions that limit the abilities of most cheap scopes  Absolutely.  Will you pay in the long run?  You bet.

Are there lines of people waiting to return better scopes for cheaper scopes?  Show me one!

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
Great topic , to be debated into eternity!
Havent read all the comments on this one but I'll probably be repeating what others have already stated.
I have been there and done that with cheap optics , never again! Many deer have fallen with the aid of a cheap scope , done it many times ......with good lighting though.

I have lost 2 deer due to poor optics in low light conditions .One ,I could see it with the naked eye but when i looked thru the scope it was a grey haze ...couldt tell which way the deer was facing and they other was a similar situation but the scope fogged up as well ,both were old Tasco's. Immediately after the 2nd incident I took out an allen wrench from my tool box ( while out in the field ) , took the damn scope off and smashed it to pieces on the hitch of the truck. That was last time that one screwed my weekend up.

I say buy the very best scope you can afford and again cheap route some times comes out more costly in the end.

NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »
Why would anyone care what kind of scope someone else uses?  I could understand the 'buy American' angle, it's good if we actually support  American workers, but other than that, who cares?

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2009, 02:08:01 AM »
Why would anyone care what kind of scope someone else uses?  I could understand the 'buy American' angle, it's good if we actually support  American workers, but other than that, who cares?
Because poor optics means wounded animals and unsafe hunters. If i am out there in the woods or fields i expect other hunters to see what they are shooting at, to collect game ethically with the least ammount of pain caused to animals and with no loss of game. I also expect other hunters to know what is around them and to be aware of their surroundings before taking a shot; with poor optics they can't see, especially in difficult light situations (i.e., sunset). I also expect other hunters not to use their $50 rifle scopes to look around instead of a decent pair of binoculars. 

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »
My go-to rifle for evening hunting is my Browning A-bolt because of the Weatherby scope I have on it.  I was in Austria and checked out a Swarovski binocular.  While there was no window to the outside, I did look at a woman across the store and was amazed to be able to study the texture of individual hairs on her head.  Fool that I was, I did not buy the binocular, since there was a 20% rebate on products for tourists.  Do not pass up a chance to get quality optics.  In fact, if you want a Swarovski scope and binocular, the rebate would probably pay for air fare to Austria. Talk about having your cake and eating it, too!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2009, 05:11:11 AM »
My go-to rifle for evening hunting is my Browning A-bolt because of the Weatherby scope I have on it.  I was in Austria and checked out a Swarovski binocular.  While there was no window to the outside, I did look at a woman across the store and was amazed to be able to study the texture of individual hairs on her head.  Fool that I was, I did not buy the binocular, since there was a 20% rebate on products for tourists.  Do not pass up a chance to get quality optics.  In fact, if you want a Swarovski scope and binocular, the rebate would probably pay for air fare to Austria. Talk about having your cake and eating it, too!
Excellent sales pitch, now if I could just get my wife to see how economical it would be to go to Austria...sounds like a win-win situation to me. ;D

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
Because poor optics means wounded animals and unsafe hunters. If i am out there in the woods or fields i expect other hunters to see what they are shooting at, to collect game ethically with the least ammount of pain caused to animals and with no loss of game. I also expect other hunters to know what is around them and to be aware of their surroundings before taking a shot; with poor optics they can't see, especially in difficult light situations (i.e., sunset). I also expect other hunters not to use their $50 rifle scopes to look around instead of a decent pair of binoculars.  END QUOTE   My post:   That's a good point, we do have the right to expect other hunters to be humane, ehical and safe. With the current trend away from hunting and more towards long range sniping(popular with guys who are either lazy or are lousy hunters) good optics becomes an ethics issue. My feeling is if you can't get within 200 yds. of a big game animal then you're not a hunter, just another instant gratification technology dependant poser. Some would say much less than 200. There's a BIG difference between a successful hunt and a successful technological feat.  [I don't know the right way to quote and post.]

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »
A wounded deer can happen just as easily with a $3000 scope.  It's the shooter, not the scope that brings the animal down. What good is a $1000 scope when you can't hit hit an elephant in the butt at 10 yards? I admit that high priced optics are nice, but don't look down at anyone who finds something that works that is much cheaper.  Don't tell them that they would be better off with nothing when they can shoot with what they have.  Have you looked at optics that are 20+years old, they are crap compared to the Bushnell Banners and the Muellers we have today.  I have a buddy that thinks the same as many of you do here.  He sinks everything he has in his equipment, but can't scrape together enough money to put braces on his kid.  He brags every season how good his stuff is, but can't seem to produce enough deer to justify the cost or his kid's overbite.  As a matter of fact, he misses more deer than anyone on my place.   Many people these days are house poor, they spend all their dough on the house and can't do anything else.  You can do the same with hunting and equipment.  It seems everytime some asks this question, someone always chimes in with buy a Leupold or nothing.  Well, most people can't, I just won't as I would rather take better care of the ones I love.  Buy what you want, but I'll shoot just as many a year with the cheaper optics.  I have out shot many people with $100 scopes, and smiled the whole time doing it.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »
A wounded deer can happen just as easily with a $3000 scope.  It's the shooter, not the scope that brings the animal down. What good is a $1000 scope when you can't hit hit an elephant in the butt at 10 yards? I admit that high priced optics are nice, but don't look down at anyone who finds something that works that is much cheaper.  Don't tell them that they would be better off with nothing when they can shoot with what they have.  Have you looked at optics that are 20+years old, they are crap compared to the Bushnell Banners and the Muellers we have today.  I have a buddy that thinks the same as many of you do here.  He sinks everything he has in his equipment, but can't scrape together enough money to put braces on his kid.  He brags every season how good his stuff is, but can't seem to produce enough deer to justify the cost or his kid's overbite.  As a matter of fact, he misses more deer than anyone on my place.   Many people these days are house poor, they spend all their dough on the house and can't do anything else.  You can do the same with hunting and equipment.  It seems everytime some asks this question, someone always chimes in with buy a Leupold or nothing.  Well, most people can't, I just won't as I would rather take better care of the ones I love.  Buy what you want, but I'll shoot just as many a year with the cheaper optics.  I have out shot many people with $100 scopes, and smiled the whole time doing it.

All of my 20, 30 year old Leupolds are still like new, and have NEVER been back to Leupold for repair of anything else.  BUT, my buddys new "cheapo" already died on his 30-06 and he had to get it replaced.  So i'd not bet that the new cheapo's are "better" than the older "quality" scopes!

Do you have more than one rifle and scope??

DM

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2009, 03:12:54 PM »
   I gave up hunting for many years because I couldn't afford it.  Family first. I won't hunt with a person of low moral character they're dangerous in the woods with a gun.  Without a moral compass you have no idea what they'll do. Any man who ignors his family for his toys is a foolish, selfish person of low moral character.  He shoots at multiple deer every year and misses :o  Why is this fool on your land or why are you hunting with him?
   Point is save for the best you can find!  It's better to save for and buy quailty than chance a hunt on junk.  You'll replace it in the same time you could have saved for the better quailty.

1)  Do it right the first time.
2)  You'll never regret buying quailty
3)  Pratice and know you gun
4)  Pratice ethical hunting technique (including shot placement and discernment)
5)  Don't hunt or argue with fools

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
I have a Leupold 3-9x42 scope that was made in 1974; it’s in perfect condition and will be for another 35 years and then some.  I would put it against any of the scopes of today.  I recommend Leupold's and nothing more, but that’s my choice.

If you feel you cannot or want to choose another, that’s your choice, this is still America.

I find it funny how some people feel if another person buys something beyond their personal cash limits that those people are somehow stealing from their loved ones.  Smart people have a budget whatever their income amount is or they can find themselves in the poor house very quickly.  It’s the simplest thing to do, its really just common sense.

yooper77

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
I own a couple of Jarrett/Remington action rifles as they are just down the road and even they wear Bushnell Banners because they work just as good for me as any other. I am retired and have been since my late 40's.  I work only about two days a week now, and I can assure you that I am ok financially.  I don't owe anyone a thing and have never owned a credit card..I have always lived within my means, don't expect others to live by yours. I could care less what you want to spend...Makes no difference to me, but don't spread the bull that cheap scopes can't hunt.  There are many makes of bushnell, muellers, pentax that are jsut as capable at maintaining zero and working for years. Why I keep that poor fool on my place is a personal one that many wouldn't understand.  When he was young he took care of my father while suffering for cancer.  He wouldn't let anybody else bath him etc...For that I owe him, so I guess his membership has been payed in full.  It's just his priorities that bother me...I just ask before you rag someone of their cheap scope, think about your priorities.  What are you leaving out to buy the $1000 scope?  Do any of those you love have a need?  What about the tithe to the local church or.......  I'll get off my preacher's box...Buy what you want fellows...

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2009, 02:41:08 AM »
  I gave up hunting for many years because I couldn't afford it.  Family first. I won't hunt with a person of low moral character they're dangerous in the woods with a gun.  Without a moral compass you have no idea what they'll do. Any man who ignors his family for his toys is a foolish, selfish person of low moral character.  He shoots at multiple deer every year and misses :o  Why is this fool on your land or why are you hunting with him?
   Point is save for the best you can find!  It's better to save for and buy quailty than chance a hunt on junk.  You'll replace it in the same time you could have saved for the better quailty.

4)  Pratice ethical hunting technique (including shot placement and discernment)

I started hunting 9 years later than i wanted.  Family first. I quote you word by word because that is how i feel and think. Additionally, i retrofitted my home to the point that my energy bill is always less than $30/month (the savings go towards the college fund).
I take 10,000 or more shots at paper or clays before i point at anything alive. It took me 5 years to purchase my 5 firearms and another one or two to pay for the binoculars and other optics. That is all i needed; i will buy no more, ever. My kid probably would not have to either, because what we have now will be of great quality 40 years from now as well. I drive a smaller vehicle and save on gas and payments to afford powder and bullets. One evening i saw a deer into the golden haze of the sunset, and took a look through my good binoculars: 40 yards behind the deer and in line of fire were a father and young son. Through my daughter's $100 binoculars you could not see them.

I see a lot of guys who drive $25,000  trucks pulling $10,000 boats who have dozens of $250 firearms with $100 optics on them and who spend $200 or more every month for gasoline. They spend $10 every day for pumping cholesterol into their veins at the drive through windows. At the range they show up once a year with their junk, take 8 shots from their magnums, miss the 6" circle every time, and call it the day. They say about shooting deer at 400-500 yards, but none of them has binoculars; they look through my spotting scope to see their targets. 

I am not bashing low income people; i am a low income person. I am bashing mediocrity. I am bashing the "instant gratification" attitude.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2009, 03:37:24 AM »
I could care less what you want to spend...Makes no difference to me,

You must care, the way you keep preaching here.

but don't spread the bull that cheap scopes can't hunt.

I never said they can't hunt, i said they are less reliable, and they are.

There are many makes of bushnell, muellers, pentax that are jsut as capable at maintaining zero and working for years.

The trick is to find THAT good one! I mean i've seen them work fine, and then when it got out in the bush for a few days/weeks, it failed when it was needed most!  I never had a "quality" scope do that to me, nor have i seen it happen to anyone i was hunting with.

I just ask before you rag someone of their cheap scope, think about your priorities.  What are you leaving out to buy the $1000 scope?

I don't have even one $1000 scope.  My Zeiss conquest i bought a year or so ago cost me $400.00, and it's still the clearest low light scope i've looked through.  "Quality" doesn't have to cost $1000.00!

Secondly, What did i give up?  I gave up haveing twice as many guns as i have now.  I said all along, i'd rather have a couple higher grade guns with good glass, than a closset full of average to junk guns.

Do any of those you love have a need?  What about the tithe to the local church or.......  I'll get off my preacher's box...Buy what you want fellows...

I could ask you the same question.  You have two Jarretts, why don't you sell one and give the money to the church of your choise, maybe a loved one, or even one of the "feed the poor" organizations where you live?

DM

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »

I started hunting 9 years later than i wanted.  Family first. I quote you word by word because that is how i feel and think. Additionally, i retrofitted my home to the point that my energy bill is always less than $30/month (the savings go towards the college fund).
I take 10,000 or more shots at paper or clays before i point at anything alive. It took me 5 years to purchase my 5 firearms and another one or two to pay for the binoculars and other optics. That is all i needed; i will buy no more, ever. My kid probably would not have to either, because what we have now will be of great quality 40 years from now as well. I drive a smaller vehicle and save on gas and payments to afford powder and bullets. One evening i saw a deer into the golden haze of the sunset, and took a look through my good binoculars: 40 yards behind the deer and in line of fire were a father and young son. Through my daughter's $100 binoculars you could not see them.

I see a lot of guys who drive $25,000  trucks pulling $10,000 boats who have dozens of $250 firearms with $100 optics on them and who spend $200 or more every month for gasoline. They spend $10 every day for pumping cholesterol into their veins at the drive through windows. At the range they show up once a year with their junk, take 8 shots from their magnums, miss the 6" circle every time, and call it the day. They say about shooting deer at 400-500 yards, but none of them has binoculars; they look through my spotting scope to see their targets. 

I am not bashing low income people; i am a low income person. I am bashing mediocrity. I am bashing the "instant gratification" attitude.

Good post, and well put!

DM

Offline scootrd

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2009, 04:29:33 AM »
Great post 30-30man !!!

Interesting to me , my father sold appliances at Sears and raised 3 kids as a single parent. He hunted for 30 years with a Sears Mod 53 (win 70) 30-06 and a 4x fixed scope, his old plaid hunting jacket , orange cap. and I cannot remember one single year were we didn't have deer in the freezer or his so called "cheap" rifle and scope combo didn't perform well. And go figger  his kids didn't have to go without new school clothes cause he was selfish and purchased expensive hunting gear. And personally if Wallmart has the rifle I'm looking for at the right price , I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Some on this thread make it sound like if I can't afford a 500 - 1k scope I shouldn't be in the woods.  Well that sure news to my grandfather , father., my blue collar friends,  family members and myself. Some of these posts are  just  plain ridiculous. and some need to get off their high horses.  When did hunting become a yuppie elistist sport? must have happened when my back was turned and I wasn't lookin..

I do not have a lot of disposable income , never will have. I will never be able to afford a 1k scope (maybe in my next life). And frankly if I could I would probably buy my wife or kids something nice instead.   What I do search for is a quality scope in a price point I can afford.  It has nothing to do with "instant gratification" as one person posted.  It has everything to do with life. Mortgage, Kids college tuition's. I drive a 6 year old truck (used when I bought it) and will probably never be able to afford a new truck in my lifetime. Our big family vacation once a year is camping for a week, not trips to the Caribbean. However , I'm certainly not going to put hunting on hold for 9 years just so I can save up enough money to buy a 1k scope or custom rifle to enjoy hunting and put meat in my freezer.

The responsible person is the one who lives within their means. I purchase the best quality optics , rifles, Ammo and gear affordable within my budget. This usually keeps me and my wallet in the 200.00 - 300.00 range when shopping scopes and it takes a very long time to even try to squirrel away that much. For those that can afford more , my hat's off ta ya, But I can't, not without shirking my other responsibilities to my family. 

Based on others recommendations from this site, I have made a few (as some would label them Cheep) scope purchases this year. They were at a price I could afford , Quality has been top notch in both cases,  and the Timberline provided features I was only able to find on more expensive scopes. GB speaks highly of Mueller. I'm hoping around Christmas maybe  I will get a chance to check them out provided the purchase of home heating fuel doesn't get in the way. But then again maybe I won't need to since me and my 600.00 rifle and 220.00 scope should probably not be in the woods anyways. That reminds me I need to put my fishing on hold till I can purchase that 400.00 rod and real I'm never gonna be able to own. Ridiculous.

For those that are in the market for a less expensive  quality scope I do recommend you check out Burris's Timberline series.
I think these two scopes have provided me the biggest bang for the Buck this year.  Thanks to all who helped with their suggestions.

Bushnell elite 3200 2-7x32
Rainguard really works
Multi-coated optics
Bushnell Elite Bullet-Proof Warranty 

Burris Timberline BP  4.5x-14x-32mm. 
Hi Lume fully multicoated lens system
Parallax Adjustable
3.75" – 5" eye relief range
Forever warranty
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 06:01:28 AM »
How this ends up being a rich vs. poor thread is beyond me.  The issue is matching the tool to the task.  If you have young eyes, you can certainly make better use of an inexpensive scope than me.  If you hunt in areas where there are no deep shadows or contrast in the environment, then you don't need an expensive scope, any more than the average mechanic needs a wrench made of nonsparking metal.  If the last few minutes of hunting time finds you sitting at home with a cup of coffee, then you don't need the expense of a scope that wrings out the last bit of daylight.  If your longest shot is less than 50 yards, then you may not need a scope at all. 

There are a lot of posts that begin "what is the best..." and without knowing the criteria that one uses to judge it is impossible to say.  This post is a variation on the theme.  I have a field that produces deer every year, but only in the last 15 minutes of shooting time.  On a clear day, I might get by with almost any rifle/scope combination I know.  If there are clouds of the deer hold in the shadows, then the Browning with the expensive scope wins out.  A young guy who can fill his tag before lunch would have no reason to use something expensive.  It's all in the criteria.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:41 AM »
I had a deer run into a wire fence and break both front legs , bet many run into fences each year ," many are shot with $100.00 dollar scopes ".
Excuse me if i don't depend on either of those to collect my deer .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »

Rainguard really works
Multi-coated optics

Parallax Adjustable
Forever warranty

Yeah, but you bought two of them. I had the same options and money available, and bought just one: a Zeiss Conquest. I am very familiar with the Elite 3200. When that scope scope blacks out or fills with haze and ghost images, my Conquest still is sharp enough to count tines.
I also am blue collar worker. I just happen to be different. Since when is that a problem?

30-30man: No i don't give money to the church. I give money to The Sierra Club, The National Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Audubon Society, and Nature Conservancy. Every now and then to the NRA. My family stopped paying tithes in 1789 or 1792, when several people lost their heads in a series of unfortunate events.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
I had a deer run into a wire fence and break both front legs , bet many run into fences each year ," many are shot with $100.00 dollar scopes ".
Excuse me if i don't depend on either of those to collect my deer .
I also try not to get them with my car. It would be unsporty and expensive.  ;D

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »

Rainguard really works
Multi-coated optics

Parallax Adjustable
Forever warranty

Yeah, but you bought two of them. I had the same options and money available, and bought just one: a Zeiss Conquest. I am very familiar with the Elite 3200. When that scope scope blacks out or fills with haze and ghost images, my Conquest still is sharp enough to count tines.
I also am blue collar worker. I just happen to be different. Since when is that a problem?

30-30man: No i don't give money to the church. I give money to The Sierra Club, The National Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Audubon Society, and Nature Conservancy. Every now and then to the NRA. My family stopped paying tithes in 1789 or 1792, when several people lost their heads in a series of unfortunate events.

Why stop with the Zeiss? If you had saved your money you could have had better.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
I'm out on this one.  I agree to disagree.  If nothing else, we've made some fellows think.  Good conversation, but I'm done.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:24 AM »
this is an interesting discussion
you don't need to spend a grand to get a very good scope
200 bucks spent on a reputable brand will work fine for 99% of the time
the top of the line scopes ARE better in very, very low light
in bright daylight, there isn't that much of a difference between any of them
I have both levels and I have gotten spoiled by the better scopes but I look hard for good deals

Offline scootrd

« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »

Rainguard really works
Multi-coated optics

Parallax Adjustable
Forever warranty

Anweis
I bought 2 cause I had two rifles , one for me and one for the wife. 

Bushnell's are a quality moderately priced scopes, and if it ever blacks out (which I highly doubt) or fills up with haze (which I highly doubt) I know they will stand behind their product. 

The Timberline Ballistic Plex.(Burris Short Mag) scope is awesome. Clarity and sharpness is unbelievable,  very solid construction.  The AO feature is excellent. The audible dials while I'll admit are a little hard to turn at first  , once locked in holds its zero, and the adjustments are dead on accurate. The compact size mounts low on my short action and maintains excellent balance and feel. eye relief is exceptional. The Hi-Lume lenses are superb.  First Burris I have ever owned. I will purchase another.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant