Author Topic: How about 777  (Read 975 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
How about 777
« on: August 23, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
I'm in Far West Texas. The only BP or BP sub I can get is 777. I have a 1860 Army and a Walker. My flask has a 30 gr end. What do you all recomend?
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS - I have #10 Remington caps and 2 kinds of wads available locally.

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How about 777
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
Hi fanner50:
A lot of men use the 777 because they can't get anything else.  It burns hotter than real black, so reduce your loads by 10%.  Real black does best around 22gr., so 18 to 20 gr. of 777 will be fine.   Many of us have to order our real blackpowder.   There are a few dealers that ship it in minimum 5# quantities of 1#cans of various brands.  That' how I order it.  I've only used Powder Inc., as my source, and although I have all the brands, GOEX is my goto.
p.s.  I like the Rem #10's for my colts.  The #11's are shorter in length and don't stay on well.     Make sure the #10's are seated all the way down on the nipples, because they are a little snug, which helps the unfired ones to stay on while shooting.   Split caps hanging up in the cylinders is just part of blackpowder, so don't fret over that.
I'm using Swiss fffg 22gr  here, and its recoil is a little harder than GOEX.....
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:40 AM »
Thanks for the good info pard....can't wait to give it a try. If I use a 24 gr by volume on my flask will that work with the 777? or do I need to do something else?

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »
Triple Seven seems to be a finicky powder compared to black. For one thing, they say it should not be compressed. I really don't know how one could load a revolver or ML rifle without compressing the powder. I picked up a single can at a Walmart close out sale and tried it in my .36 caliber singleshot target pistol. That gun groups right around one inch at 25 yards with 18 grains of Goex 3f but was all over the paper with T7. I stored it in my powder drawer and haven't touched it since.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:02:30 AM »
Like coyotejoe says, you're accuracy with 777 is generally terrible.  24gr of 777 in a colt is kinda abusive, but many use higher doses with no problems.   'Track-O-the-Wolf ' sells a packaged set spouts for your regular sized colt and remingtion flasks, or individual spouts if you just want a certain grain charge to modify by trimming off the end (example 25gr spout trimmed to 22gr).  
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
I have shot a good bit of 777 in 3f and still have some. I found it to be as accurate as any other powder if I worked up a load with it. I also found it to be a good bit more powerful that other powders.
   All that said I still prefer Goex 3f. I shoot some cap guns and some flinters. The 777 is useless in my flinters. While the old Holly Black works in all.
                            Beerbelly

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »
Hodgdon's website recommends a maximum of 25 grains of 777 with the 1858 Remington and 1860 Colt, both in .44 caliber. The suggested starting load is 20 grains.
For the .36 caliber, start with 15 grains. The maximum is 20 grains.
These are with steel-framed revolvefrs only. Hodgdon does not recommend the use of 777 in brass-framed revolvers.
I've been shooting cap and ball revolvers since about 1971. I've tried about every substitute I could get my hands on, but always return to black powder. It has proven to be the most accurate and not so finicky as the substitutes.
If you can't find black powder, get Pyrodex, Grade P. It's not as accurate as black powder, but it will allow you to shoot your revolver. It's also allowable in brass-framed revolvers.
I would pass on Hodgdon 777. I haven't found it very accurate.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Gaucho Gringo

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 04:27:23 PM »
There is this distributor of Goex that sells his own branded BP for $255.00 for 25lbs which includes shipping and Hazemat fees. From what I have been able to find out, it is bulk Goex that he repackages into 1lb cans. It works out to be just pennies over $10. a lb. I have been trying to get a group buy in my neck of the woods with little success. Here is the website.

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/