Author Topic: Looking for matches  (Read 522 times)

Offline dynomike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Looking for matches
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:07 AM »
Just came from stickies the last match 2008. Does anyone if there is any matches close to Tn. with in the next 8mo. with the exception of Va?

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for matches
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
dynomike,  ya looking for stick (kitchen matches) or safety matches.  Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »
Blaster,

Don't feel bad, my first thought was that old gem of schoolyard retort to the question; got a match? Fortunately, I was quickly able to regain my composure, and maintain a state of dignified silence.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Boom J.   I vividly recall that question AND answer.  It used to go like, "yeah, my --- and your ----".  Now I do hope dynomike can find the type matches that he was really looking for.  At least this post will bring his question back up to the top for a short while. :)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
BoomJ  - do you mean, "not since Superman died" ?

Seriously (once in a while) we need to keep others posted - lots of these things are just local events with word of mouth advertizing.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »
 You beat me to it ;)

Goes right along with - "Got an extra cigarette?"

"Lemme see here; 1...2...3........ Nope. Only 20 in this pack."

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:05:43 AM »
I always want to be prepared for any pyrotechnic emergency so when "old style" "strike anywhere" kitchen matches were outlawed, or at least severely restricted in shipping some years back, I bought a few boxes just to be prepared.  For what, I'm not sure, but I got 'em and I'm ready.

I think the old style matches let you build a quick-and-dirty friction primer, with only a tube, the matchhead, and a little BP.  I could certainly do it without instructions, but if anyone has someone's recipe for this, pls let me know.

Offline dynomike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:54 AM »
Lets try competition

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:45:49 AM »
Exactly...like in Game, Set, and Match, ie: Tournament, Contest, or in our context---A Shoot! So, any going on in his vicinity? Or reasonably close? I don't think the Labor Day Lone Pine Cannon Shoot is anywhere near his location, too bad! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:39:37 AM »
If you can't find anything locally; you could always roll your own. If you have a place to shoot, post a notice that you would like any owners of cannon to get together and shoot what you have on a given date. See what happens.

just my 3 cents worth.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:42 AM »
If you join a local gun club someone may have a good range on their property and offer to let you have a match there.   That's what happened to me, guy has a 1000 yd range butted at end by a steep hill, only 90 min. from home.  He approached me out of the blue after he found out I shoot cannons.