Author Topic: double barrel  (Read 583 times)

Offline mauserman026

• Trade Count: (0)
double barrel
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
does any body make a double barrel cannon

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: double barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »
why only 2 ??   ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »
     The only one I've heard of is the famous double-barreled cannon of Athens, Georgia.  As the story goes, a mechanic who lived there in the 1860-1870s built one to terrorize the "Yankee hoards" once and for all.  A test firing was called an unqualified success, after all, would not the mowing of a cornfield and the destruction of a grove of saplings before the chain parted be enough for that label, but no there is more, according to witnesses of the cannon's trial, the balls went on to separate feats of destruction even after creating all that mayhem.  One reportedly killed a cow and the other took down a brick chimney on a log cabin.  Success indeed!!

You see, the problem here is the absolute impossibilty of simultaneous ignition of the separate charges in this type of gun with the technology of that day.  Quite an idea.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

On the City Hall's lawn in Athens, GA.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
in this 3 bore cannon you got simultaniously ignition of all 3
its just one vent to the center bore

there is actually a twin to this gun that have the walls intact between the bores
but that one have the chamber walls in the bottom of the chambers open between all 3 bores
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
thats how i thought that cannon must shoot ....that might be one that works .....an early experiment in expanding link warheads .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:59:48 PM »
I wonder if that double could be cast in Bronze, in .50 calibre say...............would need a Very special carriage................of course would need to consider ongoing projects..........International relations...........then would have to find REALLY intelligent , resourcefull , skilled ,artistic Artisan...........now !   who do I know ?        Damn  ???  nobody out there that good . :'(
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
well I think I know one who could do it, but I dont think he got the time right now
but he sure would be crazy enough to give it a try when he get time enough to do it
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
I know someone who could maybe make a carriage to compliment such a special barrel, he got the same problem.........doesn't mean a little research can't be done..........future possibility..........would be a damn handsome piece of ordnance.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 02:48:16 AM »
it sure would be
so you really know someone who would be able to build such an carriage ??
I wish I knew an highly skilled carriage manufacturer also  ;D

but there are so many other projects just now

the rumour say that you have been disturbed by some crazy swede in your doings   :o
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline AnarchyPrep

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:06:53 AM »
The University of Texas fires a reproduction Napoleon after each score at their football games.  The breech is actually composed of 4 separate 10 gauge black powder cartridge chambers and barrels that merge into a single opening before exiting and are fired by simultaneous action of 4 firing hammers.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:33 AM »
AnarchyPrep, welcome to the Forum.. that's an interesting sounding Napoleon, four chambers, four hammers, to fire four 10 gauge shells at once! Bet it's a good noisemaker! Do you have any info as to the manufacture? Interesting concept...wonder if four separate barrels could be cast as a single unit, and fire them one at a time..? BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline AnarchyPrep

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »
Thanks for the welcome BoomLover.  I have no idea who manufactured the cannon for the school.  I know its been there since before I went there in the 60's.  It is a really nice piece.  I didnt pay much attention to it when there since I wasnt interested in artillery then.  I have since acquired a few Strong antique signal cannon and had a couple of similar breech loading brass cartridge cannon made for me in varying gauges (8/10/12).  Then got a 2/3 scale mountain rig and looking for a full size mountain gun for the SCV reenactors.  I think the UT cannon has a website somewhere.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 05:10:10 AM »
          You see, the problem here is the absolute impossibilty of simultaneous ignition of the separate charges in this type of gun with the technology of that day.  Quite an idea.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

But wouldn't it be a heck of a thing loaded with double, or even triple, cannister?

Now, I know that there have been experiments with the chain loaded in two tubes. What happens, say, if one fires and the other doesn't (or fires 1/100th slow - which is effectively the same thing)?  Does the chain whip around the non-firing gun?  Does it pull the other end out and go down range but tending towards the side that didn't fire?

I heard a(most likely apocriphal)story about soemthing like that being tried with an ONTOS in Viet Nam.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 05:13:28 AM »
Here's some details on "Smokey".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_Cannon
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline mauserman026

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 05:35:55 AM »
i was thinking why not take a heavy barrel drill 3 or 4 holes like a 69 cal or little bigger it would work

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:59 AM »
AnarchyPrep, check out the Sponsers on this Forum, you will find some real good ones, quality, price, ect. Most will work with you, and make what you need to your specs, too. Sounds like you have a good head start on this "hobby", and the "bug" hasn't finished biting you yet! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline mauserman026

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »
solid steel barrel would work better men could load them with buck shot many other loads i am going to call around