Author Topic: New guy looking for advice on a Dom. Barrel  (Read 978 times)

Offline Alangaq

• Trade Count: (0)
New guy looking for advice on a Dom. Barrel
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking about for a few weeks now and reading up on the posts and educating myself…

I have been in contact with Dom and will likely be placing an order with him before the first of the year.  I found him to be very informative and also very prompt at returning my e-mails.  However, I know he must be a busy guy, and don’t want to pester him with questions that could be answered by you knowledgeable folks.  I haven’t decided which barrel I want, but have it narrowed down between the Sawyer and the Parrott in GB bore with the optional cap lock system.  The Sawyer is a little bit shorter than I like from an aesthetic perspective, however Dom indicated that it was the strongest of his designs, and also the least expensive.  He was also willing to make it a bit longer to improve the looks as per my particular tastes.    The Parrott really does it for me in the looks department, because to me, it looks like a cannon is “supposed” to look and would cost almost exactly the same as the modified Sawyer, however I cant mentally get past my desire for “the strongest” possible barrel.

Functionally I don’t suspect that it would really matter which barrel I chose, as I expect that either one would be comparable from an accuracy standpoint, but I guess I don’t really know…  My “plan” is to fire lead balls with laminated pine sabot bases and I have been very interested and intrigued reading the various posts about your sabot load experiments.

From reading the past posts, I think I have a pretty good idea of the accuracy potential and I get the feeling that “normal” range for these cannons is in the neighborhood of 100 to 300 yards for “accuracy work”.

So… I have a few questions.

Dom lists a ball charge of 400 grains.  Is this a proven “field load” that gives good accuracy and range?

I have read that a 16oz cannonball sinker is the correct size shot for his cannon barrels.  Is there a specific brand of mould that provides good quality “round” balls, or is pretty much any old sinker mould good enough?

If price were NOT an object, which of the Dom. GB bore barrels would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your assistance… I understand and sympathize with irritation of answering silly questions from newbie’s, but when I comes to cannons… I am the newbie…. Sorry.
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Re: New guy looking for advice on a Dom. Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »
If price were NOT an object, which of the Dom. GB bore barrels would you choose and why?

Welcome to the board.  I have a Dom Parrott that he made for me as a union version.  I decided on his parrott after I saw pictures of the one that he made for Rocklock1.  Rocklock1 has the confederate version.  If money were no object I would get the Parrott.  I like the overall porportions and it really does "look like a cannon is supposed to".  My experience has been that Dom will work with you to meet your needs.  He was very good at altering some of the details that he had done for Rocklock1 to what I wanted.  You will not be disappointed with whatever he does for you.  I haven't shot any lead or steel balls out of mine yet, but 400 grains will really send a golf ball beyond what it was designed for.  Have fun with your decision and let us know what you decide.   
Tim                     

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
first welcome aboad .  ;D . if i were you i'd decide exactly what you want . Dom will work with you .

if you want a shooter make sure and get sights .

as far as strength ...do not worry it is strong . way ....!

i would start low on powder charges and with golf balls for a bit and work to his recomendation ......

lead will be serrious bidness with increased pressures . i would not exceed his recomendation on load .

if you you inquire ,you may be surprised by 'what you want ,vs what he will make ...surprising .'

as far as i know i was his first parrot gun and set of sights .......wow. couldnt be happier .

gary  

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
Alangaq --

WELCOME!

You've already heard first hand recommendations.  That's what makes this board click!

Keep us posted!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:41:59 PM »
Alangaq,

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you will be more than happy with either one of them. Dom makes a quality product. I currently have a few of his products and I'm a "Happy Camper". I have a Conf. Parrott in the works now.

I had the same dilemma as you between the Sawyer & Parrott. I went with the Parrott as, I prefer the lines.  One thing you may concider with the Sawyer and cap lock. I think (seeing the photo of it) that with that style of tube the lock may hinder your line of sight. You might want to check with Dom and confirm. Dom may be able to offset the lock.

The Parrott is designed with the sights offset so, the lock doesn't interfere.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline phantom

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
Alangaq,

Welcome to the Board. I have the Dom Carpenter Parrott cannon #3 and I don't think you can find any other cannon with the quality he puts in his work for the price. I would not hesitate to work with Dom again in the future.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:11 PM »
Alangaq, another welcome to the forum! I sent Dom some raw material, and he worked it to my spec. With a couple of little frills! He is the man, and he will work with you, no problem. Everyone that has posted Dom Cannons or Mortars, ect, have been very satisfied, both quality and price. Personally, I like the Parrott, too. There are many other well qualified sponsers on this forum, I've had great results with all that I have worked with! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Matt Dixon

• I love the smell of black powder in the morning.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
Hay i just bought the sawyer rifle about a 3 weeks and should see it around the 17 i think he is a very nice guy and also knowledgeable. Cant wait for it and does any know where i can find a pic or info of a sawyer rifle?
Every day should end with a BOOM!

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome!  I am a member of a few forums (Alaska outdoors, Cast Bullet, and Marlin Rifle) and can honestly say that I have never received so many replies, in such short order from a forum!....Hmmmm perhaps my posts just suck?.... but I prefer to think that you folks have a rather exceptional forum with a very devoted and active following!  I congratulate you and thank you!

That said, I think your input has tipped the scales in favor of the Parrott!  Regarding loads, I have no intention of pushing the envelope… my extensive experience in loading modern cartridge rounds has engrained a serious culture of safety into my tiny little brain!  Safe and sane is the name of the game as far as I am concerned, and besides…. Even a simpleton like myself, knows that guns and cannons are hard to fire with no eyes or arms! :o

The reason I was inquiring about lead cannonball sinkers is that I have far more lead than golf balls… in fact, I wouldn’t know a golf ball if you bounced one off my noggin…. Never played the game, never will… but I digress… as I was saying, I have plenty o-lead and lots of experience casting bullets and fishing sinkers although they were no were near this heavy, and I know that bullet moulds vary considerably between manufactures regarding quality and ease of use, so I was wondering (and assuming) if the same applies to sinker moulds and if there is a preference for a particular brand?

Thanks again for your kind words and expert advice!

Clearly I still have much to learn and will diligently peruse the prolific posts of your fine forum while I find a way to weasel away enough cash to get Dom started on a Parrott barrel for me!
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
You can't go wrong with anything Dom creates. You won't be sorry if you choose the Parrot. I chose the Parrot myself in the Confederate version with the caplock and also ordered it with an interchangeable 1" bore barrel. Dom is great to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him again. Good luck and happy trailz.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »
Hay i just bought the sawyer rifle about a 3 weeks and should see it around the 17 i think he is a very nice guy and also knowledgeable. Cant wait for it and does any know where i can find a pic or info of a sawyer rifle?

Howdy Matt!

Sawyer Rifles
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
I have 3 cannons and four mortars build by Dom.  He is great to work with and all his prducts are first class.

Online JeffG

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 03:10:37 AM »
You can't go wrong with anything Dom creates.

+1
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline phantom

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:28:50 AM »
If you need a supply of golfballs you can buy them off of e-bay Alan. They are cheap if you shop around
and can be shot  again if you can find them. I found in my little howitzer barrel a lighter load 300 to 400 grains 1f  is better on the golfballs and I have learned alot just hanging around the Board. I have not shot my Parrott with them yet, I have not had a chance to go to the farm to have some room. I also would like to shoot some lead balls but I do not have casting equipment yet. All I can say that shooting cannons is a hoot wish I would have started years ago..

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:40:43 AM »
I buy my golf balls from walmart. They cost about fifty cents each before taxes.
I used to buy the one lb. cannon ball fishing weights there too but the local store has dropped them from stock. Now I have to go further to get them.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
GB bore with the optional cap lock system...  

Functionally I don’t suspect that it would really matter which barrel I chose, as I expect that either one would be comparable from an accuracy standpoint, but I guess I don’t really know…  

From reading the past posts, I think I have a pretty good idea of the accuracy potential and I get the feeling that “normal” range for these cannons is in the neighborhood of 100 to 300 yards for “accuracy work”.

Dom lists a ball charge of 400 grains.  Is this a proven “field load” that gives good accuracy and range?

Cap lock? Like in a slap hammer.

If so slap hammer and accuracy do not go together.  The gun is to light.  Quill and linstock work quite well

Sorry Dom

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
Spud Tech has golf balls @ $2.00 per dozen. Just ordered 10 dozen.
www.spudtech.com
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips on were to find golf balls guys, but I will almost certainly stick to lead balls cast from a sinker mould.  90% of the shooting I will be doing is going to be on state owned public land and I don’t want to be out there looking around and trying to recover golf balls that I have fired, and I wouldn’t feel good about leaving them either.  The lead balls, even though lead has gotten a “bad rap” in some circles lately, are a different matter in my mind.  Although metallic lead rarely occurs in nature and is usually found mixed with zinc and copper in ore form, it is still a naturally occurring material, and I don’t personally consider it (the lead balls) to be “trash” or the act of leaving them in the field to be littering…  naturally others may disagree, but that’s how I see it.  And like I said in my previous post; I really like casting lead and have plenty of it to make cannonballs!

Nobody mention what they use for casting their cannonballs?  Are the golf balls so much more convenient that few use lead balls for shooting?

Double D,  even though the barrel will be fairly light, my carriage wont be… so I think the cap lock or slap hammer will work out ok for what I have in mind. 

I don’t want to go into too much detail regarding my carriage design for fear of being banned from the forum as a “non-traditionalist freak”!  But… oh well, what the heck… The carriage is going to be maid from a 5’ or 6’ long chunk of 8” “H” beam, and the axle will be ¼” wall 2” od seamless tubing.  Two small leaf springs will support the “H” beam (thru 2” x 2” box beam extensions) on the axle.  Tires and wheels will be 27-11-12 ATV wheels.  I will incorporate mounting provisions for either a Dom. Dictator Mortar or Coehorn Mortar, aft of the cannon mount directly on the “H” beam, and also several Mil surplus ammo cans for powder, shot and whatever else I might need.  Worm, swabs and ramrod will be stored in some manner that is yet to be determined… When its complete, it will pretty much be a “cannon, mortar, limber combination carriage” kind of thing….. and I estimate that it will weigh in around 250 to 300 lbs give or take…

The thing is, that here in AK we have plenty of wide open spaces to shoot, but very few roads to get you to those wide open spaces….  Basically if there is a road, there will be people and houses, and if there are people or houses, I wont be shooting.  So my answer is a carriage specifically designed to be pulled behind an ATV over ATV trails or across the tundra, creaks or what have you.  The trails that I frequent are rough enough to dictate a sprung carriage lest the cannon end up inverted somewhere on the trail (although it probably still will), or at the very least jarred to pieces from the relentless bouncing, well, not the cannon it’s self, but all the ancillary items.  I want to use the same size wheels and tires that I have on my ATV so that I always have two spares around the house.  From a practical and functional standpoint I think I’m on solid ground…. At least in theory.  Esthetically…. Well, that is going to take some really cleaver thinking and engineering on my part to keep the final product from looking like some kind of cobbled together, hideous contraption….  Rest assured that you fellers will have an opportunity to weigh in, as once its finished I will post pictures and eagerly await the acclaim…… or the shame…. ;D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »
Might I suggest using square tubing instead of wide flange.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
It will still move from a slap hammer...

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
slap hammers are great for , a timmed shot ready aim ..fire ....

and i think you 'could get acurracy' but tricky ...

DD is right ...no doubt . But if you can live with the slap hammer for targets more power to you .

quills are so cool and authentic and fuse too ....i would definatly have one ,and did , installed .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
GGaskill, by all means yes… please do suggest!  I am always open to suggestion, however I am the kind of guy that usually asks “why”…..  so… Why?
Double D, I suppose you are correct… however I have as yet, been unable to source fuse here in Anchorage.  Not saying there aint any, but so far…. I haven’t been able to find any.  Powder? Check!  Musket Caps?  Check!  Fuse….. no gotts…..  I also am not comfortable with fuses from a safety standpoint in my particular situation because I have three little ones under the age of 6.  They all mind VERY well and are good boys.  Obviously they would be well back and to the rear and under direct supervision of my wife.  But the fact remains that we (the wife and I) are outnumbered and I would feel way better about things if I had complete control of when the cannon fires if you know what I mean.
That sounds allot worse than I intended… Obviously I would make absolutely sure that my family was in no danger no matter the situation.  But using musket caps versus a fuse seems to be one more layer of safety in my eyes if that makes sense… and I guess I am willing to sacrifice a bit of accuracy potential for it.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
yep for kids a slap hammer is THE way to go .

i hadnt thought about it b4 but in mont. a kid wanted to shoot it my parrot , the ol man said ok ,dd said ok .

so he torched off a full load of saboted steel ball and ****grs of ##### BP towards the 500 yd gong .

i felt very safe with him pulling a landyard , rather than lighting a fuse , fuses can burn the lighter pretty good at the wrong angle .

BUT can you get rem/cci power shots ? .22 cal. nail drivers is what my cannon shoots ......dom recomended against musket caps . and sold me on the nail driver .22 rimfire . it works great ....

cheap ,easy to get at any hardware store ......... i'd have a much harder time finding musket caps ....ymmv
gary

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »
Why?  (square tubing)

I think it will look better than wide flange and will probably be lighter for the same strength..

See this post for more information.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
 Alangaq,

You might want to ask what Dom would charge to make you a complete gun, then put it on an ATV trailer (if you have one). The entire gun is smaller than you might think, and the wheels/barrel can be easily removed for transport. His naval cannons are even more compact.

I have one of Dom's French 75's. When I unpacked it and saw all the work that went into the carriage, I knew I got a great deal.

I have the tools and ability to build a steel carriage. Considering what Dom charges for such things though, it wouldn't even be worth it for me to clean up the mess in the shop after making one.

You might also want to think about resale value. Something that looks like it came out of a "Mad Max" movie generally doesn't sell for much.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 03:58:51 AM »
BUT can you get rem/cci power shots ? .22 cal. nail drivers is what my cannon shoots ......dom recomended against musket caps . and sold me on the nail driver .22 rimfire . it works great ....

As, Rock stated. I feel the .22 firing system is a better way to go. That way you can use it either way. A paper straw quill will fit in that hole too. I have one cannon here that uses the musket cap system but, I'm not a fan of that for a couple of reasons.

1. I can not use a fuse in it unless I drill out the nipple. The nipple is hardened steel so, garage shop me is unable to drill thru it.
 2. It is very difficult to properly brush the vent with the nipple in place.

The .22 blanks can be bought at any home store. In fact I picked up a box of 100 at Lowes a couple days ago that they were blowing out (no pun inteded) for $2.00.

One thing I forgot to add. At times I've had those little copper caps fly like throwing stars after they have fired.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
Intoodeep and RocklockI, I can get the .22 blanks local and it does sound like a better way to go!  Thanks!

Ggaskill, I get were you’re coming from but I only have a limited amount of square tubing left and lots of “I” or “H” beam stuff.  I was way off on my dimensions in my earlier post as I was guessing from the comfort of my desk miles away from my garage…. The “H” beam that I will be using is actually 6” X 4”.  I also have a big moose hunt planned for next fall that the cannon is competing against for funding so I really want to use what I have on hand.  So Victor3, that is one of the reasons that I will only be buying a barrel from Dom and not a complete set up.  Resale value is also no concern for me….. I am one of those guys that never gets rid of anything!  Also strapping a complete naval gun or cannon down in the back of one of my current ATV trailers would be exceedingly difficult and probably ineffective.  Two of the trails I have in mind are really something to behold and would not be kind to that kind of set up….

Thanks again for the ideas and input, I really do appreciate it!