Author Topic: Steiner Predator 8x30  (Read 565 times)

Offline Buffalo Soldier

• Trade Count: (0)
Steiner Predator 8x30
« on: October 02, 2003, 10:38:05 AM »
Curious to hear from folk whom have used them in the field.  Specifically, how do they hold up regarding durability, clarity, extended use and eye cups.  I have poor eyesight and always wear eyeglasses/shades and need a basic set-up for hunting.

? How do the Steiner 8x30 compare to Nikon Sporter I 8x36?

Buffalo
"We can, we will, ready and forward"

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Steiner Predator 8x30
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 11:57:00 AM »
I prefer,in lower cost optics, the Nikon Monarchs.  They are very nice, clear, not too heavy.  Really great optics for the price.  Of all the Steiners I have looked thru I have never been impressed with them.  Not the styling nor the optics.  But that is just my opinion.  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Steiner Predator 8x30
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 12:22:52 PM »
I have the Predator 8x30's they replaced my Zeiss 8x30's I got them because I now where glasses. They are a good bino.  I have carried them all over Montana hunting and I took them to Africa last year.

I like the way each eyepiece focus' separately and stays in focus.  They work good with glasses.

I dropped mine out of the truck when I was hunting gophers in Montana and it landed hard on the eyepiece and stripped it out.  I sent the bino's back to Stiener for out of warrenty repair and they repaired them no charge.

I haven't compared them to the Nikon, so I can't say they are better. Actually given the quality of most optics today they are all about equal.

The only negative thing I can say about them is during cold weather if I hold them with warm bare hands they will fog a little. They will also fog when taken from a warm to truck to cold.  Once they cool off they are just fine. Or if you keep your gloves on in the cold they won't fog.  I have never owned a binocular that didn't suffer from this problem.  The Ziess was realy bad for this and was pratically unusable in cold weather. The next worse were the Swarovski.  Never did like those heavy things any way.

Offline Buffalo Soldier

Steiner Predator 8x30
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 05:15:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gents,

I finally decided on Nikon Sporter 8x36.  Compared both models and found the Nikons to be brighter and the twisty eye cups work great.  Nevertheless, won't know the full story until their used on my upcoming hunt.

Thanks.
Buffalo
"We can, we will, ready and forward"