Author Topic: Fort Ontario Cannon  (Read 432 times)

Offline Alangaq

• Trade Count: (0)
Fort Ontario Cannon
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »
Though you guys might enjoy these photos I took during a recent business trip to the east coast.  These were taken at Fort Ontario in NY.
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Fort Ontario Cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:41:34 AM »
Nice pictures. Thankyou for posting them. What's the thing in the back?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:46 AM »
the thing in the back is another cannon on a pintle mount and covered by a........ I dunno......hidious wooden thingy of some sort.....

I couldnt get a good photo of it because it was covered, and if you stand in front of it, you are on the edje of the fort wall, and you cant get far enough away to get a good shot
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »
Business trip to Oswego, NY.  At least you were there during the 3 weeks of summer...lol.

I was a contractor working at one of the power plants up there.  I spent 3 winters in all that snow.  But it sure is pretty in the summer.

Thanks for the pics.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
hidious wooden thingy of some sort.....

Might be what they used to call a penthouse-that was the official name for a wooden shack-like thing built over the seacoast guns and carriages to protect from weather.  It could be taken down very easily if the gun had to be used.