Author Topic: gun locks  (Read 767 times)

Offline bluecow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
gun locks
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
 is it just me or dose anyone else find the built in gun locks make the skin crawl?  cant help but think these things will lock on by recoil, murphy ect. when i need the gun the most.  wouldnt disable one like i wouldnt use hand loaded ammo.    the deceased was trning his life around...  when this man with this handgun, useing  specialy handloaded ammo, having deliberately diabled a safty...
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
Re: gun locks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
I don't own a handgun with an internal lock, but if I did, I'd surely remove it.  But then, I carry handloads in my carry gun, HOT handloads too.   :o

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »
Just don't buy one with a lock or a safety.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
I always carry my own loads, Had one too many misfires with mass produced stuff to trust it.
Wouldn't own a defensive weapon with a "Built in" lock.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline JJ79

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
is it just me or dose anyone else find the built in gun locks make the skin crawl?  cant help but think these things will lock on by recoil, murphy ect. when i need the gun the most. 

my carry gun has one...never had a problem with it after 6 years & countless rounds through the gun.  the gun has never failed to fire, lock-related, or otherwise.

I carry the key on my key-ring w/my car keys...sure is handy for securing the weapon if I have to leave it in the truck.  8)

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
If the first batch of them dont sell you won't see a second run of them made.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
My idea of a gun lock is a tight grip with my right hand and the left hand  over the top of that.  ::)

Gun Runner

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »
is it just me or dose anyone else find the built in gun locks make the skin crawl?

Big time, I think the internal lock is a replacement form one thing....unloaded. Too many thing can go wrong when you NEED that gun.

Well tested handloads are fine, remember you can only get so much out of a handgun, hot loads might test the functioning of the gun. At the wrong time.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 03:29:12 AM »
I have a few handguns in my possession that came with the internal lock. Frankly, I just don't use them. If they bother you, they can be removed or permanently disabled----not suggesting anything---------just sayin-----  ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »
I don't have any with the internal locks. I don't think they are a deal breaker either. Like the lock on my car door, I use it when I choose to. I disabled the auto lock feature, cause that was a problem for me.

Think this scenario over before you condemn all internal locks. Your wife legally carries here S&W all the time, as you have suggested she should. One day she finds herself at her girlfriends home visiting. The friends sister and her three kids show up. Your wife can grab the purse go into the bathroom and turn the lock reholster the weapon and easily add another layer of security to the situation. This is a real life situation that people encounter every day. How do you figure the stories of a three yr. old shooting someone with Grandmas gun occur? Little kids are attracted to purses, often encouraged to entertain themselves with the contents.

Oh but, ....There are always other options than an internal lock. A canon safe in every gym locker is an option, as is an armed security guard for every man woman and child in America. A person is free to choose what works for them, carrying a lock box in your purse ain't gonna happen and my wife carrying on her person all the time ain't gonna happen either. She thought the internal lock was a great idea, didn't like the revolver but thought the lock was a very smart idea.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
I have a few guns with internal locks...I don't pay much attention to them and don't lock them either....well...one is kept locked...a fully engraved SW that I dont want a cykinder ring.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!