Author Topic: Velocity of A Golfball - Dom Golfball Mortar  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Johnaf16

• Trade Count: (0)
Velocity of A Golfball - Dom Golfball Mortar
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Using high speed ditigal images and graphical analysis of golfball flight path with different powder loads of fg powder I was able to determine the velocities as presented in the attached document.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Velocity of A Golfball - Dom Golfball Mortar
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
thats pretty neat ! how many frames per sec is that cammera ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
1200 feet per second

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
Volume can't be grains, grain are mass not volume.

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
Volume can't be grains, grain are mass not volume.

The volume measurement is expressed in grains on the black powder measuement device that I bought, this device is used to measure loads for black powder rifles.  You do not know everthing.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
You mean "grain setting" and not grains. 

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:32:14 PM »
Got any of the high-speed video uploaded anywhere? That would be pretty cool to see.

Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
 Nifty!

Do you have any pics of your setup?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »
Hummm...a truer statement would be "NONE of us know EVERYTHING". However, some of us, thru experience, do know more than others, and I'll be the first to admit that. I learn something new every time I get on this forum. It's a wise man who says he is always willing to learn! Before I joined this forum, I read as much of the back pages as I could, learned so much I thought my brain would explode! And I am still learning today! Just look what I learned by reading this particular posting! I already knew how to hook and slice a golf ball, now I know what one person determined to be the velocities of golf balls when fired using different loads fg BP, out of a Dom Golf Ball Mortar! I love this forum! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 12:36:48 AM »
we all learn something new almost every day from here
if I would meet someone who said he knew everything about bp cannons I would probably run away
such an attitude could be very dangerous
the more I learn, the more I understant that my knowledge is very very limited

how high resolution is it on the pictures when its sat to take 1200 frames/sec
what camera model is it ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:50 AM »
You can take this forum and !!!!

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 02:25:14 AM »
I'm sure this forum will continue quite happily without your input,we have our arguments.....disagreements...and sometimes insults......but the forum continues with damn good info....photos......and under excellent direction of two well balanced and fair moderators. Pity you don't find it to your taste............one question.......Are you an Englishman ?  :P
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »
No I am Irish and hate the English as do the Scots.  Maybe DoubleD should get of his high horse.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »
Using high speed ditigal images and graphical analysis of golfball flight path with different powder loads of fg powder I was able to determine the velocities as presented in the attached document.

This is cool stuff!  I too would love to learn how do to this and what kind of equipment is required.

I use a chronograph to clock my black powder muskets & pistols (and other small arms), but the big cannons have WAY too much muzzle blast.  The best we can do is time the round from firing to impact with a stop watch and estimate the overall feet per second.  A setup like you are using may allow us to determine muzzle velocity as well as down range velocity which would be very cool...

Thank you very much~   Anthony

Offline Johnaf16

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:09 AM »
Sorry I had planned on providing details including the software I wrote to make the calculation not only for the velocity but also for balistics cal.  But it appears that Double D like to make critical remarks about the worked conducted by all but his friends.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »
No I am Irish and hate the English as do the Scots.  Maybe DoubleD should get of his high horse.

Whoa!  Some more comments posted while I was typing.  Slow down guys, I do not see any high horses or need for insults.  This is all good information and I want to learn as much as I can about it.

We can agree to disagree sometimes.  I am very new to this forum myself and have a lot to share from my experiences, but much more to learn I am quite sure.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU~   Anthony

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 02:58:16 AM »
My remarks are not critical. 

You post a chart that has an contradictory statement, I asked for clarification. Nothing more.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 03:05:53 AM »
My remarks are not critical. 

You post a chart that has an contradictory statement, I asked for clarification. Nothing more.

Yes, sometimes we can be too quick on the keyboard.  Clarifying a point is a good thing and should not be taken as a personal insult.

Also, words in print can sometimes take a different twist or meaning than we intend (been there done that too many times!!!).

Also totally agree nobody knows it all.  Some in my unit have been shooting cannons for 30+ years, myself over 10 years, yet we learned a BUNCH at the long range matches at Camp Graying last month and had a blast in the process.  Some may feel driving 5,000+ round trip miles is too far to shoot cannons, but hey, just owning cannons could be considered ___________ (you fill in the blank!)

Anthony

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »
I must admit that this is a first.  A first I might add that I could have done without.

Let us take a step back a moment and ponder something from real life expierence.

Back when I used to shoot a trap (shotgun) it was not uncommon to see someone sneak a shotgun shell loaded with black powder instead of smokeless powder loaded into it.  Always got a laugh (except when there was money riding on the shot).

Well one person loaded a shell with black powder and carefully placed in a friends shooting pouch.  There was no doubt when that shell was used.  The barrel of that shotgun had a nice bulge in it.

Now I have no idea how much or what type of powder(s) the individual used.  All I do know was what the individual said when he told everyone what he had done.  His quote was "grains is grains, right?"

So to point out that grains is a weight and not a volume isn't as silly as you think.  Could things have been stated better, possibly.  But the one thing to remember and I have seen this over and over countless times since joining this board.  The people here are about safety!!!!  Pure and simple.

Every time a shooting accident of any kind occurs it threatens the hobby that we all hold dear.  For some others of us it is a lively hood that could be lost because of someone's stupidity and/or ignorance.

If feelings are hurt I am sure all of us here are sorry.  But personally I would rather be told something, even if I already knew it, if it could safe the life of my family or myself.

This is a fun hobby.  But it needs to be done safely.  Let's not make this an episode of Jackass.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 04:02:39 AM »
Hey, guys, if I said anything out of line, I am sorry for that! We are all here to share our info and experiences, and hopefully to learn from the efforts of others. Some of the things I did learn from Johnaf16's posting is that not all golf balls weigh the same, and that the velocities as caculated work for that specific ball, and that camera's have shutter speeds of 1200 feet per second. Now I thought that really meant 1200 FRAMES per second, right? Anyway, I look at it as all good, and all a learning experience! We are never to old to learn, I always say! BoomLover 
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »
I see Johnaf16 point regarding the approach Double D used.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:41 AM »
Welcome to the board Parrott-Cannon. :)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:16 AM »
you got some good ideas ! johnaf16 ....not airforce f-16's?

this place can be like a english comp lesson or spelling bee . there are correct names and nomenclature ,

and jargon too .

you can be right or correct but a simple misstatement OR precieved misstatement will got you corrected everytime !

dont ask how i know .
DD gets paid by the subsriptions so he;s not trying to run you off . ::)

nobody wants to run you off , criky if you think that was stiff , call carronader anything but shunukums and you will get it big time !  just watch , i'm throwing you a bone

just watch and see he'll tear into me like nobodies bidness ,,,,,for this i will say back "you @#$@!@! , excuse what would a friggin scottsman know anyhow .

but i must be carefull as i am now an "official Scottsman" (honorary) with my haggis held high with pride . i forgot to ask carronader i know we hate the english , do we like the welsh ? i'm still a rookie scottsman .....still working on it .

and goes downhill pretty quick , its fun .  ;D

btw DD id very good at being on a high horse and somebody has to be ...like a flight commander ...

i know maybe we should have a spelling contest ???

dont run off till you download all your knowledge on us .

if you look we are the second most busy topic on the gbo , must be doing something right .

ymmv Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
welcome to the board  Parrot Cannon .  :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »

Neither Tim-Cat Whisperer or I receive any pay in any form for moderating this forum.  Our employment is strictly voluntary!

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
What does Rocklock get? ;D ;D ;D

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »

Neither Tim-Cat Whisperer or I receive any pay in any form for moderating this forum.  Our employment is strictly voluntary!

You get paid in the respect of all of us, and the satisfaction of a job well done. 

Now, on that chart - Interesting that you were getting a direct coorealtion - double the starting charge, double the velocity (roughly, but close).  Then double that, and the velocity again doubles.  I wonder at what point you start hitting deminishing returns.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline mauserman026

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
cant we all get along  ;D

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »
Now, on that chart - Interesting that you were getting a direct correlation - double the starting charge, double the velocity (roughly, but close).  Then double that, and the velocity again doubles.  I wonder at what point you start hitting diminishing returns.

Good question...
I know this is completely different, but when shooting my 24 Pdr. Coehorn Mortars 1.5 ounces of 1Fg equals 100 yards, 3 ounces equals 370 yards, and 8 ounces equals 1,200 yards.  Each grain increase seems to add more range than the last.  However, with the chambered mortars it is more of a lifting charge.  BTW, the 1,200 yard shots have some serious hang time!

We got to shoot one of my Mortars on the History Channel's new Lock & Load show this year.  I was supposed to shoot one of my 10 Pdr. Parrotts as well, but they wanted it filmed the same day as the Napoleon and our new 12-Pounder barrel wasn't ready in time so we missed out on that part~   Anthony

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
WHOA!!!!!

I've been at work all day, getting a production line up for the first time and trying to program data gathering for a new motor design AFTER working Saturday and Sunday, AND NOW this thread.

OBVIOUSLY there has been a miscommunication.

Johnaf16  - you have provided some great info worthy of much conversation.
DD - your too brief comment was misinterpreted.

SO, back to the beginning and start over.

Johnaf16 - you have every right to feel the way you do having interpreted the comment the way you did; but that wasn't the way it was meant.
DD - I know you are suffering for the obvious reason - we've worked for YEARS to keep things on a civil and curtious basis.

I am asking ALL involved to 'shake hands and make up'.

If y'all don't, we all loose.

Thanks for your consideration!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)