Author Topic: Lee progressive press  (Read 518 times)

Offline CLEM

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee progressive press
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
Hello I have reloaded for about three years with a Lee single stage press and like it. I have started to shoot some hand gun, mainly 9mm and am looking at the Pro 1000 and the Load Master.
Just wondering what the differences are. I might also use it for .223 and 7.62x39 but nothing bigger. Is the main difference the load master is heavier for loading more rifle ammo.

thanks Clem

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Re: Lee progressive press
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
Both have idiocyncrasies.  Too many.  I use a lot of Lee equipment, but for serious progressive use, get a Dillon 550.  Actually, for most people, the Lee Classic Turret with powder measure and primer feed will do very well until your needs exceed a couple of thousand  rounds per caliber per month.  Caliber change is also a snap.  My old 3 hole has turrets in 9 calibers ready to go. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:55 AM »
run dont walk away from any thoughts of a lee progressive unless your blood pressure is well under control! Save your money for a little while longer and buy yourself a 550 dillon. Theres probably not a more versitile press made then the 550.
blue lives matter

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
+1 on the 550 Dillon. I couldn't tell you how many thousands of trouble free rounds I've loaded on mine. :)

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:51:36 AM »
Blackhawk is right on. The Classic 4 hole turret will fill the needs of all but the really high volume shooters. Actually it's capable of about  half the volume of the 550 (Without a Case Feeder) I keep one on the bench for loading smaller batches of ammo. I have turrets set up in a dozen or so calibers. It is also true the Load Master and Pro 1000 progressives have a learning curve. I have a Load Master set up on my bench for my high volume pistol stuff, (9mm/.40/.45). I can crank out 100 rds in about the time it takes me to write this. They do require a degree of mechanical aptitude and patience to get them setup and running properly. You end up with an excellent press that cranks out good ammo about as fast as you can shoot it. If you're not up to the learning curve, put another $800 or so with it and buy the Dillon 650 with the case feeder. Lyman/RCBS/Hornaday are other options. I have no experience with those. My progressive experience has been limited to Dillon/Lee. Good luck, and good loading.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ZZTOP

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
Hello Clem,
A lot of people cry about the Pro 1000 and the LoadMaster.
I don't know if they have experience with them or not but I have put so many thousands of rounds through my Pro1000 that have worn out parts.
Everything you buy has a learning curve to it so don't be put off those kinds of comments.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

This site gives a good comparison of the Lee, Dillon, & the Hornady presses.

ZZTOP

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »
While is very true all have there little quirks, (WE ALL DO TOO!!  ;) ::) ) For overall fewer problems, (We could all use less headaches)  heed the advice above and get yourself a DILLION 550 machine.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B

Customer service during and after the sale are excellent. They will help you with anything from the littlest nothing silly question to the biggest problem. The equipment is made to last and engineered to do what we need.. WORK!

It's no secret here, I DON'T LIKE LEE products. But don't just listen to me. Do yourself a scan/search on problems with progressive machines, Not just here either. Ask at gun shops and on other forums like this one. 75% will be associated with LEE crap. I have been selling reloading equipment and firearms for better then 20 years and time and time again LEE is what comes back broken or with problems and complaints.

I don't mean to start another LEE bashing thread, I'm just telling you what I have seen. Both from using the junk myself to the experiences and comments  from countless THOUSDANDS of my customers. Friends, don't let friends buy LEE progressives!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »
unlike cwlongshot i have no problem bashing a product that ive used and know is not up to the task it was designed for. Ive owned both the pro 1000 and the loadmaster in my earlier days and probably cut my blood pressure meds in half the day i gave them away.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 02:27:40 AM »
Come on Lloyd, if ya don't like um say so-----LOL  No denying they can cause blood pressure spikes! I'm just glad I was able to work thru the learning curve. If the OP isn't up to it, then he needs to spend the money on equipment of another color.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:52:36 AM »
unlike cwlongshot i have no problem bashing a product that ive used and know is not up to the task it was designed for. Ive owned both the pro 1000 and the loadmaster in my earlier days and probably cut my blood pressure meds in half the day i gave them away.

Lloyd I think you gave me the 1000 thanks for the stroke LOL. I was in a Gunshop when a guy was buying a Dillon SDB to replace his lee 1000 I was talking with him and he offered it up for free now I have been reloading since 1959 and figured I could make it work with just 9mm he was doing something wrong 20 30 40 rds just fine then it would take a dump, two years later I gave the press to my nephew he is one of them guys that can rebuild a watch or a jet motor he still has the press and it works fine but he rebuilt the whole thing and Fab. his own parts.

Oh by the way I have a Dillon SDB and a 550 you can't go wrong with Blue.

By the way don't buy a older RCBS piggy back unit that will also raise your BP
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.