Author Topic: DIFFERENT CRITERIA  (Read 602 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
DIFFERENT CRITERIA
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
Off and on here we discuss different criteia for our choice of Carry Weapons.
We discuss revolver vs aemi-auto, caliber, why one is better than another.
What I would like too discuss, for my information, is not a verses something but what you choose and why it is chosen.
I choose Semi-autos. I like .45 caliber a lot but am not opposed to and find myself, more and more, with the .38 super, sig.357 and the 9x23.
I like semi-autos for the reason of capacity and ease of carry--stealth being a portion of this criteria (printing, or lack there of).
I must have a weapon that is reliable. Murphy's law not witstanding. I will invest more into having one Smithed too this end and not be particularly aware of the cost being a factor.
I like things that work, my main goal.
I have this new LWT Colt Commander and am becoming very fond of it. I may be in the market for another all-steel version, though the caliber has not been determined.
I do not find that even the large and heavy Sig P220 in stainless to be a hard too conceal weapon, for the time period that I normally carry. If it is a semi-auto, printing on any order has never been a concern or problem.
I may even get a Damacus slide and frame for a build-up. In the magic of my mind I may even get it carved on by JR French.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

Re: DIFFERENT CRITERIA
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
Carry choice and caliber depends on mood and where I am going.  I feel fairly safe near home with a Makorov P-64 stuck in the front pocket of my jeans, if I think my day will carry me out to the farm I carry either a model 60 or 642, both in .357, but I also have a box of .38 shot shells for snakes.  When I have to venture to the big city I pack something with a little more capacity, like a Sig 220 in .45 or 239 in .357 sig.

Why limit yourdelf to one when you have a choice each day................ ::) ::) ::)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »
RB
You are very correct.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »
1. reliability
2. reliability
3. reliability
4. size, weight
5. can hit what i point it at
6. cal.
give me a 22 that will go bang each and every time over a 45 that i have to wonder about.  no this aint a wheel gun over an auto thing.  ive had or have a least 3 autos that are dead reliable.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:54:02 AM »
As a rule of thumb I slip a handgun into my waistband at aprox 6:30 every morning and remove it around 9Pm that evening I carry a handgun that hasnt worn me out from too much weight pulling on the waistband of what I am wearing, Thats why I carry a sig 239 in 9mm it is accurate and it has never failed to go bang when called on, I can carry twice as many 9mm 115 gr. rounds than I can carry in 45 cal. 230 gr. ammo it is easier for ME to carry a extra mag. or 2 than to carry a Hi-Cap pistol. I know that it dont work for everyone but at 63 Yrs old it works for me, and as far as the Cal. not being enough well I have never had anyone stand in front of me and say go ahead use the 9 and watch me walk away from it.   Jim

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:17:54 AM »
The question I am dying to ask jhm, is have you ever had anyone stand in front of you at all, and had to use it? ???
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
WL ,What a j-frame in 38 or 357 either will be light weight . Why , several reasons . First it is reliable , second it is powerful for a pocket gun , third it is a pocket gun and can be with me in any weather , fourth it works clothing wise in any season ( speedo excepted , not my style anyway ) , fifth it is easy to understand how to shoot it so if i get hurt a non shooter with me can figure it out and use it to and sixth it makes a great back up gun if i add something else .

I will add , i always carry this type gun the same way , once i picked up a glock for a walk . The area had had some trouble so i carried a bigger gun in a different location . Long story short , it was real dark and i was walking to see what was going on at night near home . Had no light on , dark . When a deer jumped up - yep i went for the j frame in the pocket which was not there . So since then i carry the same gun in the same place even if i have several others with me !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:13:57 AM »
While I prefer wheel guns it depends on what I am doing or going to be doing and where I am going. Most places I go don't require heavy fire power and a nice light snubby is handy in a vest or coat pocket or IWB. If I need more then it's a full size auto But in the summer time the heat and and humidity makes it tough to carry a FS auto for me so its either a smaller pocket auto or a J frame. So My criteria changes as the situation and weather changes. I am looking at picking up a keltech PF9 or 11 for more inbetween. I may get a good deal on a SP in 327 federal and may pick that up just cause I like odd stuff ;D... Not a big gang problem at TSC ;D On the other hand every now and then I have had to do some work in the well known high crime areas and carry as much firepower as I can get away with.