Author Topic: lee dies  (Read 1360 times)

Offline hoosierdome

• Trade Count: (9)
lee dies
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »
Have a lee three piece Die set. They only have one nut on them. unless I find another nut to install on these I don't see how you can keep the same adjustment for everythime I load. Ideas, please

Offline matthewquigley

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: lee dies
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »
go see doug at the outdoorsman and get  some lyman steel lock rings
M. Quigley
            900 yards
                          O O
                         O     
                           O
H&R 223,25-06,308, 44,357    700VTR 308,  Ruger 77/44, Savage ML10

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
There should be a large O-ring in the nut that keeps it tight on the threads.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
What Kevin said about the O-ring.

It should look like this:

Bill

Offline hoosierdome

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
There is a o-ring with the lock nut but I turn the lock nut to tighten and loosen and that will change the settting.

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Yep, that's probably the number one complaint about Lee dies: the lock ring does not stay put!

I prefer the cross-bolt lock rings like those from Forster or Hornady. Lyman makes an aftermarket cross-bolt lock ring, but they supply set-screw lock rings with their dies. RCBS originally had cross-bolt lock rings, but for some unknown reason, switched to set screw lock rings. You can still find old RCBS cross-bolt lock rings at gun shows, etc.

Andy

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
Yep, the "O" ring is cheap and that is why they are on Lee dies.

And NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they don't hold and/or keep your adjustment in place.

Some folk really like Lee products, but you need to put up with some stuff if they are your choice.

If you have multiple sets of Lee dies, you can save a bit on the cost of good locking rings by discarding the o-ring and tightning two of the rings together on one die to prevent movement.

Best idea is just throw the Lee rings away and buy good ones as suggested in the first couple of posts.

Personaly I just buy Lee products when they have something I need and which is not made by other companies.

This of course, is IMHO and not ment to up set anyone.

However, being an Ol'Coot I am not going to change my mind at this late date.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
Just order new lock rings. They are available at most better sporting stores that carry reloading supplies.

I agree with DD, better advice, buy better loading dies! Many here like the LEE products, I do not. I have DOZENS of die sets and load most of them and have for almost 30 years. The one and only die to ever fail me was the one LEE I purchased a couple years ago. That's the last LEE std die set I will ever buy.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
I have some Lee dies, but prefer other brands, namely Forster and Redding, but I also have some RCBS. I used to struggle with the lock ring on Lee dies, but no more. Just make sure you tighten down the lock ring good and tight on the press. When you remove the die, loosened up the lock ring, not the die body. Once the die is loose from the press, you should be able to turn it out the rest of the way with the die body. The O-ring is jammed up in the lock ring fairly tight, preventing it from turning on the die body. It takes a little pressure to move the lock ring on the die body once the O-ring is compressed properly, so it should not move, unless you use the die body to remove the die from the press or you purposely move the lock ring on the die. Or you could get the conventional lock rings and use them like convention die designs. You can get Forster cross screw lock rings at Midway. They are in their September flier (page eight) at $29.99 for a pack of 12. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
simple matter to drill and tap them for a set screw if its a problem or like others said any lock ring from any manufacture will work if you dont know how to drill and tap them.
blue lives matter

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 07:09:54 AM »
go see doug at the outdoorsman and get  some lyman steel lock rings

Or Jack or Anna, all good people

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:26 AM »
As mentioned you can drill and tap, thats what I do to the lee dies that I use. It only takes a couple minutes and cost about .05 cents.

Offline hoosierdome

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
Thanks I'll get some locking rings. I bought a set of Hornady dies and see that they have a locking ring on them.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
I never found the Lee rings to be a problem , I load so many different rounds with 4 different press's that I just re-ajust the dies when I set up to load , not that big of a deal .

Turn the die down till it kisses the shell holder and snug up the nut for FL sizing or back it off some for part FL sizing .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
  I agree with stimpy. At one time i loaded for 20 guns. 17 sets of lees. Two RCBS. One Redding. Never had a problem with the Lee rings. ;D
       bobg

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
Month problem with LEE dies with me. If you follow the instructions and tighten and loosen them by turning the lock ring they stay put.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:58 AM »
"Yep, the "O" ring is cheap and that is why they are on Lee dies... And NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they don't hold and/or keep your adjustment in place."

I disagree.  Actually, I suspect Lees O ring "lock ring" is slightly more expensive to produce than a simple set screw type.  The purpose of the rubber ring is to allow a bit of float to the dies so any small press/die alignment will be dimimished.

Like Stimpy, I don't concern myself about adjusting dies when I use them, it's really not a lot of trouble, IMHO.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 04:39:34 AM »
Buy redding and you won't have the problem
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 06:09:50 AM »
 Ok, OK so I stand corrected. 8) ;D

For some people the hokey o-ring set up works.

Just not for me, AND it is a VERY rare time when I need to ever make any adjustments to my die settings and then only to the seating or de-capping stems.

It has been this way for many years - this Ol'Coot is 66 years old -, except for a VERY FEW times while using Lee dies without locking rings

Now why is it I don't make a habit of buying Lee products?

Personal preference, plain and simple. I don't like them or the experiences I have had with MOST of them.

Isn't it great we have the options to buy what "floats our boat"?

And then to be able to come to a site such as this and freely state our likes and dis-likes.  WOW, what a country.

Now if it - this country - just doesn't become an obamanation.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:13 AM »
I use Lyman and RCBS lock rings on my Lee dies, if i must use Lee dies. In one particular case, trusting the Lee bullet seating die and it's less than perfect lock ring did cost me time and $$ (wasted trips to the range, powder, bullets, etc). I still use that die, but with a RCBS lock ring, which has a locking screw on it.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »
please send all Lee dies to me, I will dispose of them for you at no charge.  I have several Lee die sets and use them with no problems.  I also have a couple of RCBS (set screw) dies that I use that are more of a pain to use than the Lee dies.  The set screw must not be tightened down too far or it will damage the threads on the die body.
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 06:09:55 PM »
I never found the Lee rings to be a problem , I load so many different rounds with 4 different press's that I just re-ajust the dies when I set up to load , not that big of a deal .

Turn the die down till it kisses the shell holder and snug up the nut for FL sizing or back it off some for part FL sizing .  ???

stimpy

+1       I agree with Stimpy.  Not a big deal to adjust a die.  You should be checking the adjustment everytime you change a die anyway.  So adjust it.

I actually prefer lee dies to the others.

Kevin 
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 03:18:02 AM »
I also have a couple of RCBS (set screw) dies that I use that are more of a pain to use than the Lee dies.  The set screw must not be tightened down too far or it will damage the threads on the die body.

Put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and die threads.  I can't remember the size right off, but that gives plenty of hold to keep the lock ring from moving, and protects the die threads.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »
I use mostly RCBS dies but do have a couple of sets of Lee dies. I just put a witness mark on the ring and body, also on the ring and press, with a sharpie pin after the die is adjusted. Use the lock ring to install and remove the die. If the marks are lined up you are good to go. The marks wipe off with a rag and rubbing alcohol if you want to change something. I admit I like the clamp type rings better and may drill and tap the Lee rings one of these days when I work up the energy.  ;D

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:31:21 AM »
That's what i do to oldandslow and i thought i was the only one that did that.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »
The only issue that I have ever had with any lock ring was on a NEW set of Hornady dies , it was so tight that I had to cut it off with a grinder !

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped