Author Topic: I bought primers today off a shelf!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
I bought primers today off a shelf!
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
Well it happened today.  I went into a store and saw primers on the shelf ready to be purchased.  I haven't seen any like that in months!  I was so shocked I couldn't even think of what to buy at first.  Thankfully I got my wits about me, and was able to buy some primers at just over $30 per 1000.  It's not the best deal in the world, but when you haven't seen them in a while you take what you can get.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: I bought primers today off a shelf!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
COOL what are you going to load me? 
I could use some 44 mag
45 Colt,
45 ACP,
   :D

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
lol, actually I can't load any of those with what I bought today.   :(    I'm just happy to be able to load up some match 223 ammo for a change!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
I have three of those to feed.
But two are set up for the 45 JHP by Rem / UMC and the other is the target AR that is set up to shoot the Fed/ AE 55 FMJ boat tail.
I did reload the 53 grain Sierra match for a while.  I think I stillHave a full box of them.  Do you use them?  I could not get better accuracy out of them than I could with the 55 Boat tail for Matches and just kept buying ammo.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
$30/1000 is not that bad now days. I am glad to hear some reports popping up that primers can be found on a shelf once in while now. I was in a local store and they had just got in 3K of CCI magnum small pistol primers. they had no primers at all on the shelf made by any manufacturer with the exception of  the 209 shotgun primers, they had lots of those from every major manufacturer. I really wanted the CCI small pistol primers, not the magnums. I have some of the Magnums but not a overly large supply. So I said I will take 1K. The clerk said that they would only sell 200 a day to one customer. They wanted $4/hundred. I just walked out. I think I can get them cheaper later down the road from some where else if necessary. I am sure there are reloaders more desperate than I am they can sell them to. If they were the regulars, I would have bought them even at $4.00/hundred. It is highway robbery, but if you need them, you need them.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
Gander Mountain had everything at $5 per 100. They had just as many when I left.....lol

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
Gander Mountain had everything at $5 per 100. They had just as many when I left.....lol

The gander around here is pretty good about over charging when they can.  When this buying panic is over, I suspect that they won't have too many loyal customers left.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
I stopped by my local shop yesterday and they had primers on the shelf instead of behind the counter also.  No posted limit either.  Since I'm in good shape as far as primers go I didn't feel the need to buy any, but it sure is nice to see things returning to normal.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »
I stopped by my local shop yesterday and they had primers on the shelf instead of behind the counter also.  No posted limit either.  Since I'm in good shape as far as primers go I didn't feel the need to buy any, but it sure is nice to see things returning to normal.

Just a Shooter

Same here , it is nice to see some showing up even if they are twice what I was paying a year ago  :'(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
I didn't even check the price, but last time I looked at this shop they were $35 - $40 per 1000.  Close to double what I saw a year ago, but not quite.

Now, if they could only get some premium personal defense ammo in .357 mag...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
Seen some yeasturday  at 5 bucks per hundred. I  can wait. But their the first Ive seen in 4 mths
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:47:58 AM »
I was first in the door at a local gunshow a couple of weeks ago and made a bee-line for the biggest sipplier there.  He had bricks of CCI LP, LR, and Mag P.  I got what I wanted, a brick of each, and there was a guy standing behind me who bought ALL the rest!  I almost said something... almost.   :-[

Oh, the price was $36 per K.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tdd4570

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
The last gunshow I was at, 3 weeks ago.  Had all of the primers you wanted.  But, they were from $50 to $75 per 1000. 

I didn't get any.  I'll wait.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »
Stopped by a local shop today. They had a pile of CCI 41's and 2 other kinds of SR primers. The CCI's were the cheapest at $31 OTD. I didn't buy any for some reason. Got into shooting .223 out of a single shot post Obama and I have primers for years at this rate (vs 200-600 per range trip with an AR last year). Single shot really changes the way you shoot.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:45 AM »
I found primers yesterday as well. As a public service I only picked up 500 mixed between small rifle and large magnum. ( I was about broke didn't really expect to find any ) They had just about any size you could think of, though in pretty limited numbers.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:23:44 AM »
Every shop I've gone into here in San Antonio will still only sell you one box of a hundred primers to a customer. Even with many bricks sitting on the shelves behind the counter, they won't sell by the brick. It's not worth buying only 100 at a time.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 03:16:12 AM »
Happy, Happy, for you Teddy. May your new found primers bring you many hours of reloading fun.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »
I haven't been back to that place since because I haven't had time, but from what I heard everything has since sold out.  It was more dumb luck than anything else, I think they got the shipment of primers in the day before I got there in the late afternoon.  In any event I am very happy with what I bought and I have been a reloading fool ever since.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »
I was going through town for another purpose, and so I stopped at the local Gander Mountain. There was 1 box (100) of Remington 7 1/2 primers setting there all by itself. I asked how much and the kid behind the counter looked it up  - $4.99. I put them back on the shelf. I thought well if the primers are costing so much I will shoot more rim fire. I then looked at some CCI 22 Mag TNT Green - with a 30 grain lead free bullet - $19.99 :o Dang it. Gander does not want my business very much. I can reload and shoot 22 Hornets for half of that - if I can get primers. Really I am OK on primers for now - enough that I am not going to pay 5 bucks/hundred for them when I know they do not cost them half of that. I could use some more small pistol primers, but I am not out of those - yet.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:45 AM »
Still no luck here in central Texas.  I lucked out on an auction on Gun Broker and bought 2 bricks of 1000 LP primers.  I promptly loaded 650 rounds of 45 ACP since I haven't seen that at stores in a month of Sundays either.  This is just crazy.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »
It's amazing how fast all my primers went.  I have been buying bullets, powder, brass & primers when I've seen good deals on them since the panic buying all got started.  It's taken me a long time to get all the components I needed for some loading, but those primers I bought were the last thing I needed and they went fast because I was so excited to actually be able to do some reloading.

Offline fireman 108

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »
I got small rifle primer at gander Mt 52.00 per 1000

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

WOW!?!?!?!  Gander sure knows when they can rip their customers. 

Offline Skunk

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »

Yeah, isn't that something! But I can see where Fireman was coming from in buying them at that price. If I wanted them badly enough, I too would have gotten the bottle of Vaseline out and paid the price. So far though, I've been a lucky guy through all this panic buying.
Mike

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »

Yeah, isn't that something! But I can see where Fireman was coming from in buying them at that price. If I wanted them badly enough, I too would have gotten the bottle of Vaseline out and paid the price. So far though, I've been a lucky guy through all this panic buying.

LOL...  For $52 they weren't polite enough to use vaseline.  I understand though that desperate times lead to desperate measures.  Had I not just bought some primers, I'd have been very tempted to buy a box for $52.  I can't fault the buyers for buying what they can.  I do feel that Gander is burning bridges though with their customers.  Right now people buy from them because it's the only option.  As soon as that changes I don't think people will want to buy from Gander because they know Gander hosed them they second they got the chance.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
That's exactly what will happen Teddy. Customers will definitely not forget when they got hosed because they had no other choice.
Mike

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
I was at Scheels today and their shelves were pretty full. 29.99 per 1000 for pistol or rifle primers. I feel a bit stupid for paying 60.00 per 1000 a few months ago. But I have them!!!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
Scheels was getting more like $36 a couple weeks ago. Could it be that the price may get more in line as well as inventory. Kinda like bragging over $2.50 gas.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mrcooper

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »
I'm glad to see where people refuse to pay those high prices, also remember when some dealers RIP you off and refuse to buy from again. I have a dealer that I will never buy anything from again.

Offline DDelle338

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »

The gander around here is pretty good about over charging when they can.  When this buying panic is over, I suspect that they won't have too many loyal customers left.

I was done with Gander Mnt. almost two yrs. ago when I saw boxes of 100 .224 Sierra soft points for $28.00. All the other components were similarly over priced.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.