Author Topic: 260 For Hogs  (Read 1989 times)

Offline cleveland48

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
260 For Hogs
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
I will be going on a hog hunt this year and it will be the first time i've hunted hogs.  I'll be carrying my 260 and two different types of ammo.  One will be 130gr. accubonds loaded at 2834 fps, and the other will be 140 hornady interlocks loaded at 2804.  The accubonds are about 1 3/4 inches high and 100yds and the 140's are dead on, so they both shoot to point of aim.  I was just wondering if any of you have used these before on hogs?  They aren't big hogs the person said the big ones barely go 200lbs.  Thanks for any advice.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: 260 For Hogs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
If you look at the picture to the left.  this is your average eating size hog.  He went down to a 150 grain X bullet loaded by Federal at about 60 yards.  I was using the X bullet only because we had to use lead free.  other wise it would have been a 165 soft point in my 308 win.
Your 260 will be just fine.  I would pick one bullet get good with it and practice a few shots out to 200 yards.  You will not need it but it may come in handy, but also practice off hand at 75 yards.
My last Pig hunt I took my 338 Win Mag, as I heard of the armor plating and all the rest of that.  Well I was out atthe range and practicing shooting at 2 liter soda bottles off hand and 1 liter soda bottles off the rest.  We finally saw a good old boar at about 200 yards in an open hill side.  I got behind the rifle and put the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger.  Boom, sand and twigs balsted back over me and Mike and we heard the THAWACK of a bullet hitting heard a squeel and saw the pig drop.  He jumped up and started to run back up the hill trying to get away.  I guessed wrong on the range and lead and send my next round about four feet behind him and corrected with my third and final round on me and connected at about 300 + yards with a hit to the boiler room.  He tumbled down the hill.
I was believeing the armored pig stuff till we saw him and my first round, could not have been a better hit on the hinge of his jaw than if I had planned to hit him there.  The bullet through the boiler room went right in barely expanded and came right out, clipped his heart and lung.
Any well placed shot with a deer qualified bullet will work well on a pig.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
I harvested a 300# Hog with my Wife's 6.5X55 & I took a bunch of Hogs with a 25-06 & several with a Redhawk 44Mag.  Esp. if you use a high SD bullet 140 gr. or heavier(doesn't have to be a premium) or a lighter premium like the Accubond or TSX you will do great. Big ones can be tough but certainly not bulletproof.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:51:54 AM »
yep, no problem
I killed one with a head shot about a month ago on a night time hunt. had to hold the flashlight and the gun... ::)
nice eating sow at about 120 lb
try to shoot the females if you want to eat

140 gr CL and H414
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:15:21 AM »
Years ago I shot a wole bunch of hogs with a 6.5mm Italian Carcano.  A 160 gn slug at somewhere around 2250-2300'/sec and there was no contest.  Your 260 should do fine.  jmtcw.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
I have been loading 130 gr accubonds for my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 and have taken at least a dozen hogs with this load. The largest was 320 lb head shot on a boar at 175+- yds right at dusk. Either of your loads should be fine.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline cleveland48

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »
Well I didn't get the chance to shoot a hog with the 260, but I snuke up on a 30-40lb'r.  And whacked it with my new blackhawk 44, so it wasn't a waste of time lol..Maybe soon i'll get my chance with the 260

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
You just wanted ot brag about the 44 Hit.
Good job.

Offline cleveland48

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
sorry woodduck I just had to throw that in there lol.  But the 260's time is coming I can feel it and i'll take pics if I can figure out how lol..

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 06:10:55 AM »
Go to the Pharmacy or Bass PRO if you want it in Camo, get one of the disposable PHD camera's.
PHD = PUSH HERE DUMMY
when you send it in to be devoloped.  They now ask if you want a disk as in CD and you can load it right into the auto matic cup holder on the confusser and share.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
PHD = PUSH HERE DUMMY

I'm praying that my coworkers who like to make fun of me (I have a PhD) do NOT see this

:o
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15:56 PM »
Sorry Doctor. Keyes,
I was not refering to you.
Would you like Push Here Doctor/
Better? ;)

Offline cleveland48

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Lol thats funny woodduck i really needed that laugh.  I'll do that next time I get me on of them there cameras, and kill something worth taking pictures over

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 05:56:21 AM »
I live in NY and have never hunted hogs, although I am loading 130gr accubonds in a 260 as well. I was wonderig what your load and COL.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
Just noticed this thread...I have a PhD as well...I've always thought it meant Piled Higher and Deeper.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
HI Cleveland.  

Your 6.5 loaded with 140 grainers, or even 130 grainers, will be fine on hogs.

I've killed two, both one shot kills with my plain vanilla .270 Win with 130 grain Nosler Partitions.    One was 275 lbs., a big bruiser.

My guide on the first one was a ranch owner in central California.  He said that the .270 with 130 Noslers was a great load, but that in his experience, the .270 / 130 Hornady spire points were almost as effective on hogs as the Nosler partitions.   He thought highly of the Hornadys and that was 20 years ago.  Hornady has improved its products since them.

I"ve read a lot of baloney about hunting hogs.  People have a back up handgun in case the rifle fails and a back up bowie knife if the handgun fails and I guess they climb a tree if the knife fails.   I asked a couple of experienced guides about these tales.  They said it was B.S.  They'd only had problems when they were dealing with wounded hogs at close quarters.  They will fight back. The idea is to shoot them dead, not walk up on them with your "backup" handgun or knife.  I shot them with my humble .270 and they fell dead.  Sorry I have no exciting tales about fighting for my life  with my back up knife.

I think your 140 grain Hornady  interlocks at 2,800 will be fine.  Just place your shot.   Good luck with your hunt.  

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
If you want to hunt hogs, catch them live, that's fun...

They are not that tough. Where will you be hunting and how. If stalk/hunt in CA, TX they tend to be a little bigger and shots can be more open, any deer bullet will work. If you hunt southern swamps, they tend to average on the smaller size and shots will be close. I hunted in FL several times and handguns were the norm, especially with dogs.

Stay away from quarter to shots to avoid the shoulder plate. Again any deer bullet up clsoe works, heavier bullets will not blow up, not that .260 is blistering fast. I would stick to 140gr or heavier.

Offline grvj

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
I shot a bunch of hogs with a 6mm Remington and 7x57 - the 6mm needed to be a heart/lung/brain shot the 7x57 seemed to drop hogs quicker with 140g loads.

A 260 with 140g loads dig deep like an icepick - and a 140 or 160 have the sectional density to sail nice and straight. it would be a great round and load.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 05:42:14 AM »
I am a great fan of the 6.5x55 swede-taken many deer and a couple of black bear with it with just regular ammunition .Put one shot behind the shoulders and its going down,and nothing went more than 20 yards,many dropped in their tracks .I wish we had hogs up here [canada] to hunt,but I would hunt hogs with the .260[just a short action swede] with confidence.The high sectional density bullet is what makes it a very efficient and lethal cartridge and it does the job with low recoil and excellent accuracy.Not surprising -maybe this is why it is still around  after 100 years when many others have faded into memory