Author Topic: Memorial Cannon  (Read 940 times)

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Memorial Cannon
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
I found this cannon in Plum Creek Cemetary, Plum Pa. It is part of a memoral to veterans of the Spanish American, Civil and World Wars. All I can tell is it is a 32 pound naval gun made in 1844 at West Point I think.The bore is 6 3/4 diameter, any body else have more info on this piece?

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Memorial Cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
flank howie , for siege gun . to shoot infantry that dared get close to the walls between the 'stars' of those crossfiring type towers .....

i think that there was an 1843 or 44 for that purpose ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
     Hate to contradict an esteemed member, especially one who is so heavily armed with various cannon and one who also invites Mike and I up to a regular cannon-fire backyard olympics,(we call his backyard "Bombardment Meadows"  :o ), but this is a Navy gun that the Navy couldn't quite make up it's collective mind on, as far as chamber design and weight goes.  Cast in 1844 at the WPFA, West Point Foundry, across the Hudson River from West Point, at Cold Spring, New York, this 32 Pdr. was quite light and recoiled like a mule on it's 4-truck Navy carriage.  This one was called a 32-pdr. Chambered Cannon of 27 cwt. (hundredweight).  The actual weight was 27-1-19 or 27 hundredweight at 112 pounds each plus one quarterweight of 28 pounds plus 19 pounds or 3,071 pounds.  This cannon's Registry No. was 85, making it one of the first pattern to be cast of this type.  The inspector's initials were G.A.M.  The weights of this caliber, 6.4", Navy gun went way up to 62 hundredweight and there were a large number produced in the 57 hundredweight pattern.

We are currently designing a firecracker cannon of the 1844, 24-pdr. Flank Howitzer type, of which Gary spoke, which is an extremely effective fort defense gun which was designed to sweep people like me (Infantry Branch) off the curtain walls of the fort!!

FYI,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »
Thanks guys I knew you would have an answer ;D
and your right on on the weight

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
Save Legionville

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
Quarterweight?   Quarterweight?   you made that up...........and as for the gremlin   don't mess wit the kid . >:(     he's an honourary Scot I'll have you know............
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

Quarterweight?   Quarterweight?   you made that up...........and as for the gremlin   don't mess wit the kid . >:(     he's an honourary Scot I'll have you know............

You may as well learn this right now:  we don't make up anything.  We are such slaves to historical accuracy that it's almost scary.  We ALWAYS take the tour at various forts we travel to and then quietly talk to the quide AFTER the tourists have gone.  They are the better for our respectful, but informative, little chats about seacoast artillery. 

However, occasionally we are pressed for time and we don't consult a second or third source of information.  At these times and during the times when we depend on Canadian information, such as this time, we will allow you to call us to task.  The source of the "quarterweight" term came from a Canadian site on several cannon in the vicinity of the Royal Canadian Legion in the province of Nova Scotia (a treasure trove of seacoast artillery), and in the county of Lunenburg, near Chester.  Their are two Bloomfield pattern guns directly in front of the Legion and one is marked 34-0-15.  Their weight calculation explanation in which the deficient terminology appears is copied in it's entirety below: 

The foundry marked this cannon's weight as 34 - 0 - 15,
                        meaning 34 hundredweight plus zero quarters plus 15 pounds.
                        One hundredweight equalled 112 pounds, and one quarterweight
                              equalled 28 pounds.
Thus this cannon weighs 3823 pounds.
                        One kilogram equals 2.205 pounds.

This cannon's weight works out to 1734 kilograms
                        (at the time of manufacture, not much changed now).

So, you can see what occurred here, and as far as that Reprobate to our North is concerned, if you have actually accorded him Honorary Scot Status................well............ THAT Sir, is your FOLLY, not ours!!   ::) ::)

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
"... we dont make anything up ...!

oh pulease .....the other evening you were making stuff up like nobodies bidness . remember ? just B4 you rolled over backward in that plastic chair ?????

then you made up some excuse about the cheap chair . " i dont think anyone had ever heard B4 that you had been abducted by space aliens .

that was next to the 'little alieinn" north of vagas .

dont make anything up ...?   "and the big mortar jumped one whole foot OR so right up off the trailer ...."

in slow mo it was only about 3-4 inches .......mike saw it , i saw it .....we were kind .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
Frankly Sirs, I am disappointed if not astonished at your reliance on those ' People in the North ' to provide any accurate information on Imperial measures. The frog influence in that province........oops sorry.........." country " has reached such levels, that any reference to British control must be eradicated.Their feeble attempt to maintain any global credibility continues.........I digress..........the swift rescue of your previously untarnished , and if I may say, highly esteemed reputation by your illustrious host surely must be rewarded.I would imagine a free year's supply of powder and subscription to the " Casey Jones " fan club would suffice.
 I hope you all enjoyed the case of 20 year old Malt he received last month for distribution to his guests.He can be such a rascal, I'm sure you agree. 

We in these small islands retain the right to defend the few remaining influences we have, balanced with the resolve to place our people where our mouth is.   
 Quarter , sirs...............just Quarter. 
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »
Quarter , sirs...............just Quarter.

I usually see the term I think you are referring to written as "Quartel," or plural "Quartels."