Author Topic: AR-15 Grenade Launcher Question  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Incitatus

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
AR-15 Grenade Launcher Question
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
How does a grenade launcher fit on an AR-15.  The gun in question does not have a forward assist but does have the birdcage flash suppressor (I hope that that narrows down the model).

Thanks.
NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: AR-15 Grenade Launcher Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:00:38 AM »
Depends on what exactly we're talking about.

For the exact 40mm M203 the military uses, I have no idea.

For civilian look-a-like copies, most are actually 37mm "Flare" launchers.  If you do a google search for Spikes tactical, you will find that they make one that slides onto a four rail foreend and fits on that way.

There's almost a cult like following for the guys with the 37mm flare launchers with inserts that get put into to the 37mm to neck it down to use cheaper/smaller flares.  I got interested in it once and did some reading, but never bought one.

Offline gunblade

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
The M203 has three basic components...the receiver, barrel and handguard.  The receiver attaches to rifle's barrel via a clamp.   The clamp is not visible when the grenade launcher's handguard is installed.  The barrel of the launcher can be removed for cleaning without removing the receiver from the rifle. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »
I dont mind a light on an ar as its a practical add on that has some use but i guess i cant see why someone would stick a great big tube that can only launch flares on an ar! About like putting a hood scoop on a jeep to me!
blue lives matter

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »
I myself can't see why anyone would put a 37mm flare launcer on an ar15, but I'll tell you what. The combination of an M16 and an M203 gives a single soldier alot of firepower.  It is probably the most lethal combination a single infantry soldier can carry.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:49:52 AM »
i second billy.  it was my favorite weapon system.  i could still kill you if you were on the other side of the hill.  growing up as an archer, shooting the 203 was natural for me.  i could hit with that sucker without even using the sites.   my favorite thing about them was the variety of the ammo you could shoot through it. 
   as far as why someone would want to put them on a civilian rifle to shoot flares?  i can think of only one use for that, and we did the same thing in the military with them.   if a flare went up, you can bet you were done for. 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »
If you really NEEDED an AR15 for bad events, I could see flares being useful.  I never had flares overseas, but some MP's showed up one night and they had them and they came in very handy!  When a flare goes up it reviels a lot and shows movement.

Combine a nice M16A4 style rifle with a scope on it, with the addition of flares and you have something that could get you through some rough nights.  I just have a hard time spending over $300 on a flare tube and then the price of the flares.  I think they look cool and 99% of their life will just be for looks.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »
as a civilian deal, i think i would pass on it.  and if i need one as a civilian, then things have gone bad then it shouldnt be very hard to find one.  and in that situation, i dont think anyone would be a civilian any longer.   hopefully that day will never come.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
If I needed flares, I would much prefer a dedicated launcher. To me, a flare launcher is a tool, not a weapon.

If it's gonna be hanging under my barrel, it better be able to do some damage!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:29:58 AM »
trust me, it can so some serious damage.   someone hiding in a bush, building, or some other spot will come out in a hurry if a flare hits it.  they are really quite usefull with a little imagination. 

Offline Dweezil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
Check on 37mm.com  There's a guy there named Grog that has a  lot of info on flare launchers, reviews and has a couple instructional DVD's on building your own projectiles.  I have a stand alone launcher (Cobray clone, made by EtCetera llc.)  that works great, and can launch home-brewed flares/star-clusters/smoke up to about 350M. As a civilian, I wouldn't hang one on an AR-15 since a flare launcher is NOT a gun so I wouldn't want it permanently "married" to a gun. Of course, the usual fireworks laws/fire risks apply.