Author Topic: Glock Life Expectancy  (Read 16137 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Glock Life Expectancy
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 05:49:24 AM »
I guess we agree if a person wants one gun for a lifetime of use right now a Glock may not be the best choice , could be but not proven yet. ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Glock Doctor

• Glock Magic!
Re: Glock Life Expectancy, #4
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
I guess we agree if a person wants one gun for a lifetime of use right now a Glock may not be the best choice , could be but not proven yet.

:)    Yes, we do agree; however not for the same obvious reasons! 

As I've already mentioned:  Unless and until Glock, GmbH makes a 180 degree turnaround with, both, the quality AND reliability of their manufacturing, I'm not going to be buying anymore Glock pistols. 

Herein, I agree with the above reply.  However, I've no doubt that the three Glock pistols I presently own are going to be, 'good to go' for, at least, the remainder of my own and, perhaps, my son's lifetime. 

Will I continue to shoot 10 to 15 thousand rounds a year?  I could; but, now that I'm on fixed retirement income, I doubt I'm going to be able to keep this pace up.  Still, ya got 'a remember that, 'IT'S A GLOCK!' 

For anyone with a general mechanical background who is, also, able to read and understand:  One of the Boatman books, the PTOOMA Reference Manual, or the Glock Factory Manual, then, a stock Glock pistol is not going to be all that difficult to keep up and running - It’s all of those, ‘mysterious factory snafus’, and custom modifications that can be really tricky to figure out and do right! 

There is, also, a plethora - and I do mean, 'plethora' - of Glock parts out there from a wide variety of on-line commercial sources.  Nobody has to deal with the factory in Smyrna, or any Glock Armorer unless he actually needs or really wants to.  (This statement needs to be qualified:  It should be mentioned that, from what I can tell, all of the internet gun forums are loaded with people whom I definitely would not trust to either repair or maintain their own guns.  OK!) 

In my considered opinion, it takes a lot of gunsmithing experience as well as specialized training in order to be a genuinely competent Glock Armorer - A lot more training and experience than can be acquired by spending just a few days at the factory (or in a factory-sponsored class). 

This is another thing that bothers me about Glock, GmbH policy:  While I think it's a tremendous publicity coup to be able to circulate large groups of marginally experienced people through factory training classes, I do not believe this sort of, 'revolving door gunsmith training' is in the best interest of general public safety. 

In almost 10 years of working on Glocks I've had two of them go full auto or fire sporadically in my hands.  The reasons?  One time was the result of a brand new factory connector with an incorrect angle (It's been reported on Glock Talk that new factory connectors have as high as a 1 to 2% failure rate; and, personally, I believe it.)  The other time happened with a Glock pistol another fellow had worked on.  He got the sear, ‘kick plate’ engagement wrong; and the pistol went completely fubar the moment the trigger was pulled. 

Is a Glock pistol a good choice for a typical lifetime of shooting and daily use?  Well, if you’re lucky enough to get one that works and - at least at the beginning of your period of ownership - know a competent Glock Armorer, then, a Glock pistol might very well be an excellent choice to make. 
‘Life Is Karma.  It Reflects Both Past And Present Circumstance.  Our Time Here Is Short; So Choose Carefully And Behave Well; For, All Of Your Tomorrows Are Presently Being Decided.’

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 01:00:35 AM »
 I've a 19 I bought in 1991 or perhaps 1992, can't remember but I do know its past 12,000 rounds and still going.  I've replaced the recoil spring assy and trigger return springs three or four times, magazine springs and followers in the five magazines I have twice and the night sights that finally went dead.  Other than these, nothing else has been done.  I think mine gets better the more its fired, the slide and trigger are both silky smooth now.  Very little finish is left on the slide, not a problem it still won't rust. 

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Glock Life Expectancy, #4
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 02:27:16 AM »
I guess we agree if a person wants one gun for a lifetime of use right now a Glock may not be the best choice , could be but not proven yet.

:)    Yes, we do agree; however not for the same obvious reasons! 

As I've already mentioned:  Unless and until Glock, GmbH makes a 180 degree turnaround with, both, the quality AND reliability of their manufacturing, I'm not going to be buying anymore Glock pistols. 

Herein, I agree with the above reply.  However, I've no doubt that the three Glock pistols I presently own are going to be, 'good to go' for, at least, the remainder of my own and, perhaps, my son's lifetime. 

Will I continue to shoot 10 to 15 thousand rounds a year?  I could; but, now that I'm on fixed retirement income, I doubt I'm going to be able to keep this pace up.  Still, ya got 'a remember that, 'IT'S A GLOCK!' 

For anyone with a general mechanical background who is, also, able to read and understand:  One of the Boatman books, the PTOOMA Reference Manual, or the Glock Factory Manual, then, a stock Glock pistol is not going to be all that difficult to keep up and running - It’s all of those, ‘mysterious factory snafus’, and custom modifications that can be really tricky to figure out and do right! 

There is, also, a plethora - and I do mean, 'plethora' - of Glock parts out there from a wide variety of on-line commercial sources.  Nobody has to deal with the factory in Smyrna, or any Glock Armorer unless he actually needs or really wants to.  (This statement needs to be qualified:  It should be mentioned that, from what I can tell, all of the internet gun forums are loaded with people whom I definitely would not trust to either repair or maintain their own guns.  OK!) 

In my considered opinion, it takes a lot of gunsmithing experience as well as specialized training in order to be a genuinely competent Glock Armorer - A lot more training and experience than can be acquired by spending just a few days at the factory (or in a factory-sponsored class). 

This is another thing that bothers me about Glock, GmbH policy:  While I think it's a tremendous publicity coup to be able to circulate large groups of marginally experienced people through factory training classes, I do not believe this sort of, 'revolving door gunsmith training' is in the best interest of general public safety. 

In almost 10 years of working on Glocks I've had two of them go full auto or fire sporadically in my hands.  The reasons?  One time was the result of a brand new factory connector with an incorrect angle (It's been reported on Glock Talk that new factory connectors have as high as a 1 to 2% failure rate; and, personally, I believe it.)  The other time happened with a Glock pistol another fellow had worked on.  He got the sear, ‘kick plate’ engagement wrong; and the pistol went completely fubar the moment the trigger was pulled. 

Is a Glock pistol a good choice for a typical lifetime of shooting and daily use?  Well, if you’re lucky enough to get one that works and - at least at the beginning of your period of ownership - know a competent Glock Armorer, then, a Glock pistol might very well be an excellent choice to make. 

All that said , good points , will mean little if we find Glock frames get brittle after a period of time. And we don't know if or when it could happen. But I work with plastics and have yet to see it not happen at some point. Time will tell.  ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
O'tay , I will see ! I picked up a gen 2 Mod 17 Glock at a police supply. It is in useable shape but well worn. The slide is silver /light gray in color from wear depending on where you look . The plastic is not chipped or cracked but well worn with a smoother than new feel ( not bad really to grip) . The inside of the slide looks well like new . I have not taken it apart yet. THE BARREL is the worst part . near the muzzle on top it shows alot ( really alot ) of wear. Its the most I have seen and I have seen some with 1000's of rounds thru. them , there is a low spot in the bbl from wear. There is also some bad pitting in two places on the bbl. Since I want to shoot lead I ordered a new bbl . The recoil spring is one of the captured springs ( I have had a few that were not with old guns). It came with 2 hi cap mags that were in good shape. The tupperware boz and loader were with it , cleaning rod was missing  :(  . What better test gun than this to see how the frame holds up ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2019, 05:08:14 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!