Author Topic: 20 Gauge Tamer PROBLEM  (Read 673 times)

Offline chipmunk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
20 Gauge Tamer PROBLEM
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
Some of you may have seen it in my previous posts.  I tried to fix it but my tamer 20 is still having a major stuck shell problem!  I took apart the ejector, cleaned, honed, and lubed everything in accordance to FAQ's standards. I added a bb before the spring and reassembled.  Nothing changed!  About 1 in 6 cases stick.  I've tried federal 2 3/4 6shot- Federal 2 3/4 Slugs Winchester 2 3/4 5shot - Federal 3" buckshot.  All stick at about the same rate.  After removing the shell with a sharp rap from a rod (some pressure but not alot) I can put them back in and they usually stick again.  A few shells will stick if turned one way but will eject fine if turned another way.  One thing I noticed is that the shells tend to have what appears to me to be some type of stress mark on one side of the brass of the shell.  About halfway between the head of the shell and where the plastic begins. (Sorry I'm not good on shotgun terminology)  This stress line seems to be much more prominent on the shells that stick.  Does this mean anything to anyone?   I have a feeling that the cases might be bulged slightly on that side.  I cannot tell yet as my calipers are loaned to a friend at the moment.  I'll see when I get them back.  I will also get a few pics of the shells on here as soon as I can. 

In the meantime...any ideas?  I have this weird feeling that the chamber of the gun has some kind of deformity, but I have no way to prove this.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: 20 Gauge Tamer PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Do you have access to a set of inside calipers? Maybe you could try to measure the chamber.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:10:05 AM »
Sounds like a chamber cast is needed, or just make arrangements with H&R to replace the barrel since the chamber cast will likely reveal a problem they need to deal with.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »
I got my caliper today and measured the fired shells.  The diameter of the shell in front of the head varies from .699 up to .707.  The .707 is where the stress marks are.  I found this page to compare my measurements to: http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html  (see "B")
The .699 seems about right and that makes the .707 most likely the culprit. 

While I am now pretty sure I have a chamber problem, I want a way to be 100% sure before I send it off.  Any ideas on a quick method to verify?   I tried hard with my caliper but it is just not able to give me the measurements accurately.  A cast would probably be right but I have never done one.  Does it take special material or is there something I might have around here I could use?

Maybe I can run it to the gunsmith and see if he will take a real quick look at it. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
Chamber casting is covered in the FAQs along with bore slugging. If it's a factory fitted barrel, I'd let H&R sort it out.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TYM2MOTR

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
You mention "fired" shells...question, for comparison have you caliper measured any unfired shells, or have you dry cycled unfired ammo to see if you have the same occurrence rate of shells that stick / don't eject?  Just a thought...

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
 When I measure unfired shells the same way I get a consistent .698.  No bumps or bulges.  They function flawlessly in the gun. 

Yes it's factory fitted.  I just bought the whole gun about 2 weeks ago.

I guess I'll be giving H&R a call.  I generally never have good dealings with anyone's CS so I really don't want to, but I don't guess I have much of a choice.  I might take it over to the gunsmith to see if he will take a quick look at it.  I doubt he will be able to do anything to it but maybe he would have the equipment to confirm the problem in the chamber.  Then I would be a bit more sure about sending it off.  I really hope they can get it back in time for squirrel season.

Attached are a couple of pics of an unfired shell next to a fired one.  You can easily see the problem even with my low quality camera phone pictures.