Author Topic: Happy birthday-and a sudden shock.  (Read 893 times)

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Happy birthday-and a sudden shock.
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:57 AM »
I've always wanted a Colt 1860 Army replica but just kept on putting buying one off and that has stretched into years. I have a real Colt but won't shoot it for fear something will break. I'm almost 72  and my wife decided it was time to do something about my desire for an 1860 because I wouldn't and ordered one for me . It's due today by UPS. She said "Happy birthday, Honey".

My old Lyman manual says a .451 roundball and 37 grains of FFFg blackpowder. I don't have a mold that size, a very little FFFg powder, and no caps to fit. I had a chance yesterday to obtain what I needed. STICKER SHOCK to say the least. Shooting blackpowder used to be dirt cheap compared to cartridge firearms. Well, it certainly isn't any more. A pound of Pyrodex P, 100 CCI caps and 100 Hornady .451 roundballs came to $39.40 without tax. I'll cut the cost of roundballs by casting my own when I decide what diameter ball the pistol likes best as I just purchased 50# of pure lead for .47 cents a pound. Wish I could find a source where I could just walk in and purchase a pound of blackpowder but those days are gone. I know where I can get it but it is case lots only and I would never use that much. Don't know anyone to split a case with either. Hazmat fees kind of keep me from ordering it also.

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Happy birthday-and a sudden shock.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you. I recently got an 1851 navy cap and ball revolver and was dumbfounded to find that the local gun store doesn't carry FFFg be cause of the extra paper work and fees associated with haveing it or pyrodex P powder because there isn't enough demand for it. I can't afford to be paying the hazmat fees on top of the high prices for the powder. I'll keep looking around until I find some FFFg black powder somewhere close to home before i'll break down and pay those outragous prices. Worm
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
I've always wanted a Colt 1860 Army replica but just kept on putting buying one off and that has stretched into years.

Me 2! But I'm still a kid at 64!  :P

Anyway, I ordered an 1861 Navy from Midway.  It's been on backorder for some time now, but I've waited so long it doesn't really matter.   :-\

I've already got a .380 RB mould and everything else I need to start shooting when it gets here though.   ;D  And that includes FFFG powder.  The owner of a local mom & pop gunshop is a BP shooter and always has cans of the stuff on hand.  From what you guys say, I'm pretty lucky in that respect!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
I've always liked the looks of the 1860 but like the 1851 better and in .36 which I think is more original but I doubt I'd ever fire it if I had one just put it in a shadow box or something as a wall decoration.

I don't even know a store in the near by counties that carry real black of any granulation.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
Hey oldandslow:  Pietta will shoot the .451 dia balls just fine.  UBERTI needs the .454dia.'s.  That said; a bunch of Pietta shooters like the .454's in their guns cause it guarantees a good seal for the powder.   Some even say it improves the accuracy.  I don't know.  I can't shoot good enough to tell the difference.

Powder wise.  Any where from 20 to 25 grains makes the best loads.  I cut a special spout for my colt powder flask that pours 22 grains.  Higher than that just give you a big boom, and a waste of powder.  If you don't mind spending your money and enjoy more smoke, have at it, it's fun.  Pyrodex is okay, but I like "THE REAL THING".  A 5 pound order of Real Black in one pound cans of a variety pack with the hazmat fee is a good chunk of cash, but in the long run I don't believe you'll regret it.  Hope you have a blast. ;D
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
Have you checked if any civil war re-enactor groups are in your area; they usually make bulk orders and sell it to their group, but will sell to other b/p users, if they have some to spare.  That's where I got my powder, when I lived in central Fl.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Congrats.  Yep, shooting a muzzleloader and cost has jumped substantially.  If there is a next time to get supplies, get real black powder and avoid the Pyrodex.  Real black will do everything Pyrodex does, and is not as corrosive as Pyrodex.    Of couse giving the gun a good cleaning and you won't have a problems right?    Well clean the gun and check it again after a few days.  Pyrodex has a way of hiding out in microscopic pores in the metal and then causing rust later.    When Pyrodex first came out, I bought some to try.  I still have nearly a full pound of 25 year old Pyrodex.    Of course the container is porbably worth some bucks as a collectors tin. 

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 02:57:22 AM »
I still have nearly a full pound of 25 year old Pyrodex.    Of course the container is porbably worth some bucks as a collectors tin.

longcaribiner;  that sounds just like me.  Wouldn't doubt if there are a bunch of us that still have a partial can of Pyrodex almost forgotten and hidden away.  

4B

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »
Yep, I still have part of a can of it I bought when it first came out, plus several people have given me over the years. I tried it in my cannon, but it doesn't work well there. Not enough pressure. So now I use it in the handi rifle. I figure it's easier to clean the bore on that than a revolver. I did really mess up a cimmaron replica '73 by using it in that. I didn't know you had to totally dissasemble the revolver to clean it when using Pyrodex. I was used to black powder, but this new stuff is some kind of corrosive! I guess I'll use it all up some day, maybe try it in shotgun shells so it'll go away faster. Hey, that's a good excuse to get one of those neat little TTN shotguns!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
An update to the birthday gift. I finally made it to the range early this AM. The Pietta made 1860 is a NICE gun. Even has a good trigger right out of the box. The sights on the Colt percussion revolvers are pretty rudimentary of course. Being an old guy makes things even worse but I managed to get a couple of good groups even with the early morning glare and looking through progressive bifocals. This was with my meager supply of FFFg powder. I switched to Pyrodex P and things kind of opened up. Like the groups became about four times as large. I broke out my ROA and tried the Pyro. Nothing to write home about either although the groups were about half the size of those with the 1860. I attribute that to the much better sights on the Ruger. I also found out something about CCI caps. This is the first time I ever used them and that is because that is all the two gunshops I checked with had. I've used a lot of their primers and like them but their caps suck. Or at least this batch does. Two duds and two that took two tries to get to fire out of about 50 shots. I read several recommendations to use Remington #10 caps because the CCI #10's are too small for the 1860. I couldn't find any Remington caps so I got CCI #11 thinking they would fit. Had to pinch every one because they are too big.  >:( They worked fairly well on the ROA though. 

Looks like I'll have to give up and buy 5# of blackpowder and some Remington caps and pay the hazmat charge. I be over in Texas tomorrow and I am going to check the two shops there and see if they might have something before I give up and order. I'm not holding my breath though.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
I would suspect a problem with the pistol, rather than with the CCI caps. I have never had a failure to fire with CCI caps.
My brother came up here with a little can of CCI caps that he had bought in 1978. I figured they wouldn't fire at all. He had bought a brass framed revolver, shot it a few times, and stuck it in a closet for 3 decades.
We fired 5 cylinders in his Pietta with them, 30 shots and not a single misfire. Unbelievable reliability.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »
Hey oldandslow:  Enjoyed reading your update.  I need to get out and do a little shootin too.  The real black is my preference.  Its just better all around.  As for the Percussion Cap problem, well it could be a combination of things.   Some guys just get fed up with the taper necked nipples that come with their guns, and buy those expensive TRESO or Thunder Mountain Stainless.   These are straight necked, and most any brand of  cap fits them.  I've been tempted a time or two to do just that, and may get some yet.  This is how a cylinder looks with them installed.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
I would suspect a problem with the pistol, rather than with the CCI caps. I have never had a failure to fire with CCI caps.
My brother came up here with a little can of CCI caps that he had bought in 1978. I figured they wouldn't fire at all. He had bought a brass framed revolver, shot it a few times, and stuck it in a closet for 3 decades.
We fired 5 cylinders in his Pietta with them, 30 shots and not a single misfire. Unbelievable reliability.

I really feel that it is the caps. Two misfires were on the Ruger and I've been shooting it since the 70's with no problems, just never with CCI caps until today.