Author Topic: 1860 won't pop all the caps???  (Read 1272 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
1860 won't pop all the caps???
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
I traded for this Pietta 1860 Army 44. Gun looks un-fired?? I bought some Rem #10 caps and pushed then on the nipples with a #2 pencil. Had to go around the cyl twice to ignite all of the caps, some went off the first time and some needed twice or more. Could it be the nipples are made for #11 caps or am I just not getting them down on the nipples far enough? I haven't messed with BR in years but don't remember ever having this problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
PS..Anyone know wher I could get a set of Treso nipples and nipple wrench for this Pietta?

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1860 won't pop all the caps???
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
fanner50:
The Rem#10's have a long cup, and they fit tight. If the nipples have a residue on them you'll have to push the caps pretty hard to set them (that's what the hammer is doing the first go-round).  The #11's may fit better for awhile then they'll become loose and you can go back to the #10's.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »
Piece of leather between hammer spring and grip frame will increase hammer strike. Try changing nipples.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:04:59 AM »
4Bee, NICE cover!!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
fanner50:  Here's what I mean by the Rem #10's having a long or deep cup in comparison to the other brands of Caps.  Echo4Lima makes a good point about weak hammer springs, but in the case of Rem #10's its not generally the fault with the hammer springs.  Also note the difference in Treso aftermarket nipples with straight walls, compared with the standard tapered wall nipples.

Thanks Echo ~ I got the cover from off the internet sometime back while browsing military hats, but don't remember the link.

4B

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:45:25 AM »
Remove the nipples and chuck them in a drill.  Use a small file to dress them for a better fit with the #10 caps.  Italian nipples are a really bad about having consistent sizes.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:05:50 AM »
Remove the nipples and chuck them in a drill.  Use a small file to dress them for a better fit with the #10 caps.  Italian nipples are a really bad about having consistent sizes.

I had to do this for my Whitney.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:08:14 AM »
I have four revolvers and some took #10 caps and some #11. I got tired of arriving at the range with the wrong size caps for the gun I had that day so I replaced all the nipples with AMPCO so now they all take CCI #11 caps with a perfect fit and I have no more misfires or jams from spent caps. Now I wonder why I didn't make the change years ago. I highly recommend Ampco/Tresco nipples.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:21:44 AM »
No offense Coyote; but concerning the TRESCO vs TRESO, I've read about in several different posts, I thought maybe I was missing out on a totally different part.  

After doing a WEB Search, I realized it has something to do with my eyes.   ::)    Several times I thought I read TRESCO, only to go back to find there was no ' C ' found in it at all.  

It caused me to do a double take.  I couldn't believe it.  One second I read TRESCO, and the next instant I read TRESO.   At any rate AMPCO does make the Treso nipple, usually advertised as Treso-AMPCO.   Even after carefully typing this, I still think I see the Non-Existing "C".  That's Weird!  ???

4B

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
Treso gets posted both ways a lot.  I had to go to the ampco web site to figure out the correct spelling.

As I have to replace nipples I buy the treso's.  My 2nd and 3rd gen Colt are real good about consistent nipple size gun to gun.  The different frame sizes use different sizes.  I couldn't afford to buy new nips for all my junk all at once. 

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 05:22:59 AM »
No offence taken, I never could spell and those names are not in my spell check, but at least I got "Ampco" right, 50% was about my usual grade for spelling. ;D      They're a good product however you spell it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Do caps ever stick to the Treso Ampco nipples after firing the way they do sometimes on steel? I hate having to pick them off. My understanding is that the cap when fired, should burst and be able to fall off the nipple. Just make sure to tip the muzzle up so that when the cap falls it won't get into the action of the pistol, and jam it.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
4B, pics really show the differences.