Author Topic: List of past cannon accidents  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: List of past cannon accidents
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
A few more reports of "cannon" accidents. I checked the the other accounts listed in the stickies, so I wouldn't repeat an incident, but I may have missed some.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2287344/posts
Archdale Man Seriously Injured in 4th of July Cannon Accident
FOX 8 ^ | July 7, 2009 | Roxanna Hayes; FOX 8 News

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:19:46 AM by HIDEK6

THOMASVILLE, N.C. - An Archdale man was seriously injured Saturday when a cannon went off while he was preparing to fire it to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday, according to officials in the Davidson County Sheriff's Office.

Kevin Scott Hankins, of 2205 Lockwood Circle, was taken to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m. with serious injuries to his arms and hands as well as lacerations and burning to his torso, waist, neck, head and arms, deputies said. Investigators said Hankins was standing in front of the cannon, packing gun powder in it after a misfire when the cannon fired.

Perry Kennedy, who hosted the July 4th party for about 35 people at her property on Proctor Rd. in Thomasville, said her ex-husband and the couple's sons built the cannon, which resembles a Revolutionary War-era model. Kennedy said her son is usually the one who lights the cannon and shoots liter bottles full of ice toward an empty field.

This year, however, Kennedy said the cannon misfired as Hankins, a friend of her son's, used a plunger to pack the gun powder.

"The cannon just went 'whooooo' and all I could see was red sparks and everything," she recalled Monday. "And then I looked down and Kevin was down on the ground."

The explosion ripped and burned Hankin's red T-shirt, which Kennedy's son cut off him because it was on fire.

As of Monday afternoon, Hankins was in fair condition at Baptist, according to hospital officials.

Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said his office has never dealt with an incident like this and isn't sure if the owner of the cannon will face charges. He said it depends on whether the cannon falls under the definition of a weapon of mass destruction. If it does, Grice said the owner could face felony charges.

Kennedy said she's never had an accident with the cannon before, but doubts her family will ever fire the it again. Instead, she's considering donating it to a museum.

"The kids were terrified, absolutely terrified, and so were the adults," she said. "I mean, we've never seen anything like this. It was really scary."

http://www3.gendisasters.com/new-york/12743/bath-ny-cannon-accident-jul-1827
Bath, NY Cannon Accident, Jul 1827
Posted May 20th, 2009 by Linda Horton
BATH, (N.Y.) July 5.

In celebrating the National Independence yesterday, a dreadful accident took place. In firing a six pounder, a young man by the name of Morgan, a private in Capt. Bell's artillery company, rushed forward before the gun, to ram down more waddling at the moment the match was applied to the priming. His arms were both shot off, and his body mangled in a shocking manner. He is yet alive, but his physicians think it impossible to save him. This was the dreadful effects of intoxication, as Morgan was at the time intoxicated, as was his general habit on all public occasions. This ought to be a warning to others.

Connecticut Courant, Hartford, CT 16 Jul 1827

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/incident-management/articles/408966-Three-injured-in-Wash-cannon-explosion/
Three injured in Wash. cannon explosion
The Associated Press

ROCHESTER, Wash. — Metal shrapnel from an exploding cannon injured three people, including an 11-year-old boy, during a Fourth of July gathering in the Thurston County community of Rochester.

Sheriff's Sgt. Cheryl Stines says the cannon exploded about 10:30 p.m. Friday.

She says the boy was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with "severe lacerations" to his leg and abdomen.

Stines says two adults also were injured: a 34-year-old male suffered severe abdominal injuries and a woman in her 30s suffered abdominal and leg injuries.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/464664/crawford_man_injured_in_homemade_cannon_incident/
Crawford Man Injured in Homemade Cannon Incident
Posted on: Monday, 10 April 2006, 12:00 CDT

By Becky Purser, The Macon Telegraph, Ga.

Apr. 10--ROBERTA -- A Crawford County man was injured Sunday afternoon when he attempted to ignite a homemade cannon.

Edward Chestly Cannon, 21, of 296 Grace Road, was transported by ambulance to The Medical Center of Central Georgia. He suffered an injury to his right leg, Crawford County Sheriff Kerry Dunaway said today.

Cannon, 21, and a friend, Jonathan Hickox, 24, had been shooting a black powder pistol at Cannon's residence in the southeastern portion of Crawford County when they decided to make a homemade cannon, Dunaway said.

The two put black powder in a large pipe, Cannon attempted to ignite it, and the homemade cannon exploded, the sheriff said.

The 4:35 p.m. call to 911 came in as a shooting, the sheriff said.

-----

Copyright (c) 2006, The Macon Telegraph, Ga.

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News.

For information on republishing this content, contact us at (800) 661-2511 (U.S.), (213) 237-4914

http://www.journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/article_ec49df43-c4c1-53f5-af5a-78f8535aca1c.html
The Associated Press | Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

ELWOOD - An arraignment hearing is set for July 24 for a Smithfield man accused of firing a homemade cannon and critically injuring a woman.

Doyle Daake, 44, faces a felony second-degree assault charge. He was arrested last week.

Gosper County authorities say Daake fired the cannon outside the Smithfield village hall on July 3.

Kanda Garrelts, 36, who walked in front of the cannon when it exploded, suffered serious facial and head injuries.

Daake's bail has been set at $5,000.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »
 Lookie here. They weren't going to let just one little mishap spoil the fun...

"1872 Premature Ignition. Davenport, Iowa. Two men injured in different premature ignitions of two different guns at
July 4 celebration. One has his arm amputated while ramming powder charge and the other is severely burned and blinded
in one eye
from a separate premature ignition."
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline threepdr

• Avid Poster
    • Eras Gone Blog Spot
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:11 AM »

"1970s Premature Ignition. Football game at New Orleans, La. No. 1 man loses both hands due to premature ignition."

I met the No. 1 man back in 1976.  I reality he "only" lost three fingers from one hand.  He was left with the thumb and index finger.

The gun was one of two bronze 6 pounders that were made at a Federal prison.  Both are on display and are fired occasionally at Chalmette Nat. Battlefield in New Orleans.  I have served one of them.  They are great looking tubes!  This fellow evidently won a settlement with the Feds because of a supposed bore defect in the gun.  However, the story I heard later was they they were filling old fashioned paper dixie cups with powder and ramming them without properly venting and spunging the bore.  The rammer landed in the opposite end zone.

See my history and archaeology blog at:  http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »
These cannon "accidents" are all tragedies to be sure, but from what I have read, and please correct me if I am wrong, every single one of them one of them was easily preventable.  All caused by a failure to use proper equipment and/or failure to adhere to a safe drill.

Just to name a few critical points:
- Barrels should always be overbuilt to withstand far heavier loads than will ever be used).
- Bore surface, chamber & vent must smooth without any pitting or voids.
- Implements must fit and work properly.
- Rounds must be properly constructed.
- Loading drill must have redundant safety steps and never be rushed (will not try to describe entire drill here but can email as an attachment to anyone interested).

Anthony

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
I agree, Artillerybuff.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.