Author Topic: Good web sites for beginner Information - how to's, what not to's etc  (Read 531 times)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Im about to get a Traditions Pursuit LT, camo package with scope (thoughts) and was wanting to do some reading on muzzle loading basics.  Any well known good places to start so I can get to the good basic info quickly.

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Good web sites for beginner Information - how to's, what not to's etc
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »
You are here.

Ask away

Read away in all the black powder forums here and you should get a very good education about all aspects of BP shootinh/hunting
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:15:17 AM »
OK, for starters

LUBE, I have a starter kit from Cabelas and it has a tube of "Super Lube"

is this used for the breech plug threads?
is this used for the primer

If I shoot sabots, do I need any lube for the barrel?  If so, what, how, when

CLEANING, have black powder solvent in the kit

is there anything special about treating the barrel, other than it gets dirtier than shooting smokeless

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
Give us a little more information. What rifle, what powder do you want to shoot, what do you intend to do with the rifle (hunt, target???). For starters without any information:  ADDITION: Just read that you are buying a Pursuit LT. Personally I would recommend something else. I had a Pursuit LT and the trigger was terrible. I would recommend spending a little more and get a CVA Accura, or even a CVA Optima. Just my opinion.

1. Go to Walmart and buy a tube of "Slick 50 One" grease. It is in the automotive area and the tube will last you the rest of your life for breechplug grease.
2. If you shoot sabot/bullet projectiles you will not need to lube them. The plastic sabot has its own friction reducing characteristic.
3. You can either experiment with the lube in the kit or throw it away. I would not use it for breechplug grease especially if you shoot any Tripple Seven powder or you will be asking how to remove a stuck breechplug.
4. Get a book or search for a starting muzzleloading instruction online and read all that before getting too far into this sport. Then come back and ask more questions. There were several long instruction list posted mostly by one specific guy and the information is super. You might search for that on this or other black powder forums. I have not the time to do all that.
5. If you elect to not use grease you can use teflon tape on the breechplug, but it requires a little care and knowledge how to use it most effectively.

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:55:58 AM »
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/NAMHAhome.html

Try some reading on the above site, cant say I agree with everything he says but some good info overall!
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR