Author Topic: seacoast  (Read 1529 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: seacoast
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
Make sure the material used inthe bore will not burn or smolder between shots.

Wet sandpaper.

60 or 80 grit?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
"...epoxy a strip of sandpaper to the top of the bore, probably covering about a 60 degree sector or less."

That's an excellent idea. I'm surprised nobody came up with that when we were talking about screws, welded protrusions and Velcro in the bore.

A section of 60 grit adhesive-backed sanding disk would be a cheap and easy thing to try.

Speaking of Velcro, check this new stuff out...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17739-extreme-steel-velcro-takes-a-35tonne-load.html

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
Remember that the stuff (whatever it is) has to resist incandescent gasses.  Velcro I would expect would melt and I question how long sand paper (the paper part) will survive also.  But it might last long enough to prove the concept.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
Remember that the stuff (whatever it is) has to resist incandescent gasses.

OK if we really want to do this right, we'll take a number of identical coarse files or maybe a fine rasps which don't taper from end to end, have been cut off perfectly square on both ends, and have the back ground smooth to fit into a groove cut in top of bore, leaving 0.0673 in. edge protrusion allowing for solder thickness.  These files are soldered end-to-end to equal the length of the groove, inserted into the groove, and immersion silver-soldered into the groove so as to leave no unfilled space whatever in the groove.  The file cutting edges now protrude exactly 0.0673 inches into the bore, which is the calculated protrusion necessary to ensure 99.99% assurance that desired backward rotation will occur, given the ball is a Titelist manufactured within the past 7 months at the Shrewsbury plant, by the 2nd shift, and not on a Monday or a Friday.

But the preps will take a bit longer than the sandpaper.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »
Remember that the stuff (whatever it is) has to resist incandescent gasses.

OK if we really want to do this right, we'll take a number of identical coarse files or maybe a fine rasps which don't taper from end to end, have been cut off perfectly square on both ends, and have the back ground smooth to fit into a groove cut in top of bore, leaving 0.0673 in. edge protrusion allowing for solder thickness.  These files are soldered end-to-end to equal the length of the groove, inserted into the groove, and immersion silver-soldered into the groove so as to leave no unfilled space whatever in the groove.  The file cutting edges now protrude exactly 0.0673 inches into the bore, which is the calculated protrusion necessary to ensure 99.99% assurance that desired backward rotation will occur, given the ball is a Titelist manufactured within the past 7 months at the Shrewsbury plant, by the 2nd shift, and not on a Monday or a Friday.

But the preps will take a bit longer than the sandpaper.

I don't have the balls (Titelist) to try that. I'd sooner subject the ones I've got to sandpaper before going though all that hassle...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 04:01:07 AM »
Cannonmn,

How do we keep the hardness intact in the file heat of soldering will damage hardness........

What about a dove tale in the bore and a corresponding dove tail on the files:?

Slide them in and have a pin at the front end to keep them from sliding out on firing......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 04:19:46 AM »
How do we keep the hardness intact in the file heat of soldering will damage hardness........

Allen, the files only have to be a little harder than the golf ball, so no amount of annealing will make the files softer than that.  Have another cup of coffee!

The whole bs paragraph on the files was of course just that, since some were worried that sandpaper wouldn't be perfect.  For the time you'd have to put into the file-dovetail-slot cannon or the soldered variety, you could easily make dozens of sandpaper-equipped tubes and do one shot in each so no worry about reloading ever.

Be sure to put black stripes around the golfball, at least two at 90 degrees apart, and have a suitable high-speed movie camera set up to record it, so you can easily tell the speed and direction of rotation on muzzle exit.

And report your results here, of course.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 04:32:31 AM »
Ah.... so we use multiple barrels like your 36 barrel cannon only in golf ball caliber......

I would like to see that on the green at the local club...... FOUR! .........

And your right I didn't have my first cup of coffee yet.....