Author Topic: big bore bp revolvers  (Read 780 times)

Offline kirkwhitaker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kirkwhitaker.com
big bore bp revolvers
« on: September 12, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
I have a handloader mag where they did an article on a .577 cal bp cartridge revolver based on .577 brass shortened...was a 5 shot english gun...amazing. Has anyone ever made a bp  cap and ball revolver...5 shot mostlikely..in 50 or larger? a 50 cal in a walker sized frame would be fun...just curious. A 58 cal bp revolver..if it would do 750 fps...would be a blast.
k
www.kirkwhitaker.com is up and running
drop on by!

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Re: big bore bp revolvers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
I never heard of it, but if you will make it,  I  will buy it!
A 5-shot .50 caliber, that would be one cool pistol.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »
there was ab artricle about ab original 58 C&B revolver from england in a shooting mag back around 20- 30 years ago.  I thought that woulf be great to have.  Unfortunately, the guns were oddballs even back in the day and were not any sort of military issue.    If they had been issued on any type of scale, we would have more originals around and the repro business would have already copied them. 

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
There is a custom company that is making a 5 shot .50 out of Stainless Ruger Old Army's.  I don't remember who, but I remember it being about $950 plus your ROA.  There was a long detailed article in Guns and ammo with chrono and accuracy results.  This was a few years back.

Offline hunter58

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
Clements Custom Guns. Check out their web site.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
I saw some at a gun show I went to this past winter.  The guy who made them was showing them off but not selling them.  He had several Colt paterson rifles and revolvers plus three large revolvers that looked like Colts Dragoons on Steroids. The smallest one was 58 cal then there was a 75 cal and a 1 inch caliber.  They were all Six shots and the one inch gun weighed in at only 7.5 pounds.  He had some pictures of him shooting them and from the pictures they really recoil.

Offline kirkwhitaker

• http://www.kirkwhitaker.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:33:03 AM »
WOW...i can imagine. But something like that would be a serious hunting handgun..not a playtoy.
www.kirkwhitaker.com is up and running
drop on by!