Author Topic: Different brand = same powder  (Read 389 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Different brand = same powder
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
Was thumbing through my Oct. copy od Handloader magazine and came across a bit on the bottom of pg. 29 were they stated that some Hodgdons powders are in fact the same , grain for grain as some Winchester powders .

H-110 = Win 296 -- no real surprise here

HP-38 = Win231 -- News to me

HS-6 = Win 540 -- Discontinued

H-414 = Win 760 -- Another one that I didn't know   

One should still work up loads , just like changing lots of powder , but it is nice to know with powders still being hard to find in some places that there are options .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Different brand = same powder
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
All have been common public knowledge for many years. There is another of the HS powders that is/was same as W571 but I've forgotten which. I think it is/was HS-7 but I'd not wanna bet the farm on it.

Hodgden until recently has not really been a powder manufacturer but an importer and buyer for resale. Winchester and Winchester owned companies supplied most of their powder and both sold same powder under different names.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »
HS7=571
BCB

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
stimpylu32, changing lot numbers can affect ammo pressures both ways, greater or less. My son bought some H4350 last year and loaded some hunting ammo (30-06) and the load he uses isn't near max. He came up from NC for deer season here and when he sighted in his rifle he had a low pressure sign (too much soot on the neck of fired cases). When he got home he chronographed his ammo and he had to up the powder charge by 1.5gr.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein