Author Topic: New little go-to gun  (Read 1802 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New little go-to gun
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
After bustin my rear end for the last several weeks at my job, plus some extra work for a friend, I found myself with a couple extra dollars! And the best part was the treasurer of the house said it can go to whatever I like! How bout that! ;D. So off to the hardware store I went first thing this mornin, and because the hardware store also has a great sporting goods store right behind it! After getting to the sporting store, and lookin around awhile, I got checking the firearms out, and there on the far end of this huge long gun rack tucked away in the back was this dandy little brand new .410 so I asked the young lady if I could have a look at it? Of course says she, an reaches in moving other guns outta way then hands the little .410 to me. Oh yeh! I know these! comes up to my shoulder just right! I see that bead just perfect! Handsome dark stained wood stock, deep blue/black barrel, and H&R engraved in receiver. Once I got er home went out back and just had to take a few shots with it,...Sweet!...I am lookin forward to this my friends!  scout4<><

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: New little go-to gun
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
Congrats and enjoy threre's nothin like the feeling of a new gun!
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline hawken54

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
congratulations 410's are great fun and just about my favorite squirrel medicine, have fun.

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen for your reply's! scout4<><

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
Congrats! they are one of the funnest little guns around. you cannot beat them, but boy does the price of ammo hurt!@
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
Here's better pic of it. scout4<><

Offline Walley

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 04:54:37 AM »
I am 72 years old and got 410 H&R topper as a Christmas gift when I was 12.  I still have the old girl and over the years have taken more pheasants with it than any other gun I ever owned.  Last season I went out with some guys with their 12 gauge over and under, pump and automatics and they were joking about old man with the kid’s toy. My dogs were doing their job and guess who filled out first.  I got the first two cocks flushed and ended up just going along to handle the dogs.  I found out later that 2 of the guys went out and bought new 410s within 2 weeks.

Offline coyotehunter223

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
Way to show them young whippersnappers Walley  ;D
What ammo was you shootin' in your .410?

Offline Walley

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »
I use 7 ½ early in the season and 6 after the heavy artillery morons have disturbed the birds.  I use a 20 gauge Topper with 7 ½ late in the season, which runs into January here in Minnesota.  One jerk asked me how I was able to be so consistent taking birds with the 410 and I told him if he wanted to do it the first thing he had to do is learn to shoot.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
One jerk asked me how I was able to be so consistent taking birds with the 410 and I told him if he wanted to do it the first thing he had to do is learn to shoot.

That is awesome!  You are my new hero.

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
Yeah Man! Mine to Walley! scout4<><

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
hard gun to beat  ,,,,,, question i have and maybe someone can answer it ,  what is it about the 410 round that keeps us  fasinated  so bad? ive like it since i had my first one back when i was 12yrs old in the later 60's and early 70's some guys call it the round with no use what so ever ??? ive kill many a small game ,  with them,  also killed 4 deer to date all does  but still ? dead deer in the freezer hahah ive been reloading for it many many years and they are a pain to reload but i do it cause i like'em , hahhahaah  just a question ive never had answered ??? anyone?

Offline Walley

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »
Having been in love with small bores for about sixty years I have often asked myself the same question.  The only thing I can come up with that these little guns have elegance and grace that very few of the large bores have. Another thing is the pride in knowing that you can do things that the big bore crowd don’t think you can.  Yes the 12 gauge people look down on us like retarded children but guess what?  I look down on them like I would any would-be.

Offline uncledub

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Alabama, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
Walley, I hope you don't mind, but I have added you to my hero list. 8)
Young guys should listen to Old guys, they know stuff.

NEF 45-70 w/ 20 ga 22" barrel
NEF Pardner Pump Protector

Offline Walley

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 06:02:29 PM »
Looking at my old 410 Topper that I got for Christmas in 1949 I see it as a Ferrari compared to my grandson’s 12 gauge automatic Mack Truck. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but these old eyes haven’t failed me yet.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »
Looking at my old 410 Topper that I got for Christmas in 1949 I see it as a Ferrari compared to my grandson’s 12 gauge automatic Mack Truck. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but these old eyes haven’t failed me yet.

you got it right on the  mark ,,  when i was a kid my older brother  whos told me anything  smaller the a 20ga was worthless  called my single shot 410's  pencil shooters  hahah

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 02:03:11 AM »
  What length shells do you guys use in your 410? I couldn't kill a squirrel with it to save my life. I was useing #6 in three inch. I think it was Graybeard that said the 3" shells blew holes in the center of the patterns. I checked it out. He sure was right. I switched to my 20ga. I would like to try the 410 with 2 3/4" shells.
   bobg

Offline Walley

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »
In the 410 I always use 2 ¾ except in my L. C. Smith double that is chambered for 2 ½  only.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
  What length shells do you guys use in your 410? I couldn't kill a squirrel with it to save my life. I was useing #6 in three inch. I think it was Graybeard that said the 3" shells blew holes in the center of the patterns. I checked it out. He sure was right. I switched to my 20ga. I would like to try the 410 with 2 3/4" shells.
   bobg

First squirrel I ever killed was with a Remington 3" #6 load out of my NEF Pardner.  I've killed a couple of snakes with that same load, and more than a few possums with that load and Remington 3" #4s.  Come to think of it, I've never fired anything but 3" shells through my little .410.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
  Glad they work in your NEF securitysix. They sure didn't work in mine. ???  Thanks walley. If i ever use it again i  will try 7 1/2 shot. I bought a NEF 28 ga. Might just use that.
   bobg

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
Just goes to show that guns have minds of their own, I suppose.  The Wal-Mart I frequent has had some 3" Remington #5 shot loads, and I've given some thought to trying them out.  Not entirely sure what they'd do that #4s and #6s can't, but variety can't be a bad thing, I suppose.

Offline Walley

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 02:33:06 AM »
Bobg

I know you will love the 28. Chuck Hawks says that they are the best small bore out there. He also says he would never use larger shot than 7 ½ in 410 in the field as in the larger shot sizes the pattern density is to thin. Hawks calls the 410 an expert’s gun and does not recommend it for beginners.  Randy Wakeman puts the little beauties down but bad.

Offline BIGDAVE54

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
I grew up in West Virginia with a .410. Had no problems with squirrels ,rabbits,or the odd poisonous snake. My mom gave it away when I left home to go in the USAF,but my wife after 34 yrs. of marriage got tired of hearing me whine about it I guess...anyway this past May we were walking through a Wal Mart near home here(SC) and what should I see sitting in the gun case  almost twinkleing like a little star but a brand new H&R .410 Pardner. It was one of those times I might have had $20 in my pocket. I was looking at it and just down by my left elbow I saw a little hand reach over to the counter and lay a couple of hundred dollar bills down. I looked over and my wife was smiling and said'Happy Birthday Ole Man". I think it just cost around $120 so she did get a lot of change back,but I needed a few boxes of ammo too.hehehe. My H&R .410 is one of the most valuable possesions I have. I later bought a .20 gauge to shoot clay with,but my .410 is still my favorite.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
To be honest I have only shot 1 410.  It was double barrel marked J Brown & Sons  London England.  My Uncle brought it back from Europe when rifted back to Seargeant Majpr after WWII. It seemed to be a handy little gun but I grew up on 20 and have never fired it again.  My fathers other brother sent me the 410, an octagon barrel 22 short takedown gallery pump, and Dad's sweet 16 when my father died.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL