Author Topic: I wish we could get a hold of this guy to teach some safety lessons to......  (Read 1042 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Link to the full article the main problem I have pasted below..... if a member of the forum lives in West Virginia and can get a hold of this fellow invite him here so
he can learn some safety,  it's great that he built the cannon for his 11 year old son, but I would like his son to have dad around for years to come and not be a future
news article of a cannon accident.

http://www.dailymail.com/foodandliving/200908290180?page=1&build=cache

Daugherty packed the gunpowder into the barrel and used a blow torch to light a long, spindly fuse reminiscent of a firecracker. As soon as the grey smoke started chasing the spark, everyone covered their ears and stepped away far away and possibly even prayed.Nothing happened.

The spark went into the chamber, but there was no boom. Anyone with muzzle loader or firecracker experience knows that just because there isn't smoke doesn't mean the thing isn't about to explode.

After a few tense moments, Daugherty cautiously approached the cannon. He took a deep breath and packed the gun powder tighter. He lit another fuse and everyone backed away again, though not as far.

"This time for sure," Daugherty said.

More smoke, but nothing. At this point there were two options: the cannon was going to go boom or not. Sounds simple, but the bigger question was if Daugherty wanted to tempt fate one more time. He steeled his resolve and said, "What's the point of building a cannon if it doesn't fire."

Clever and lucky man that Daugherty is, he discovered that the thick paper was not the best padding needed for igniting the gun powder. The problem was solved when he used scraps of the Times WV.

Seconds after he lit the fuse the third time, everyone backed away. The blank inside the barrel went boom and a canon was born.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Safety he sure does need.  :o
I was anticipating the cannon to go "BOOM",while he packed the wadding tighter........
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
"Daugherty said his son is very mature and would be able to handle the responsibility of owning a piece of artillery."

Good thing one of them is. Now if he could just keep his Dad away from the thing...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
doesnt matter how mature a 11 year old kid is, you still dont let him play with his new toy alone.
but in this case maybe it would be better to have the kid to use it alone
at least he wouldnt get any bad influence from his dad
hope that someone find that guy and invites him to this board, or even better invites the kid
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Read the entire article; not just what Allen wrote.  

Why did he need clearence from "NSA"?  ???

Also; he drove a golf ball "600 yards" with it. :o

Wow! A Kutbank Kommando in the making. ::)

This story is far from being over and it isn't going to have a happy ending. :'(

One can only hope the lad becomes bored with it and discoveres girls before it's too late. 8)

rc

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Based on the reporters description , it sound like he needs a safety lesson...we don't know how accurate the reporter depiction is.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Yes Rich, the mention of the 'National Security Agency' also caught my attention; maybe they caught this unfortunate soul on a wire tap, no doubt asking someone if they thought it was advisable for him to use nitroglycerin as a propellant in his tube. :(

All joking aside, ignorance can be remedied, stupidity has no cure; I don't know which of these conditions best defines this father's behavior, but it really is a terrible fact, that his son is being taught some extremely dangerous lessons.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline wvdad

I live in WV and not to far from Fairmont. I think I should send the guy a letter and direct him to this board.
Heck I spent a few months reading these forums before building my first canon and was still scared to death the first time I lit it off.

Offline KABAR2

wvdad,

That's great news, I hope you can get ahold of him, we want to keep everyone safe, it's hard to tell from the photo
how he built the cannon but his claim that it is an accurate represntation of a Civil war field piece is far from accurate,
it would be good to bring him into the fold so he and his son can enjoy the hobby and not the sorrow of hospital or morgue.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Matt Dixon

• I love the smell of black powder in the morning.
Hey, so I agree with you but this man is my uncle and he also has a big head lol. I was not there when he first shot his cannon but I do know that from him being around me (which I am very anal about safety)  he has become very careful about safety as well, and I think the newspaper really messed this article up. Now I'm not taking sides but our paper has a bad rep of doing things like this. Now I don't know why he was packing this thing in with a hammer but whatever. I will go over cannon safety with him. Now on the other hand I'm the reason his son is into this. He is very smart and very cautious about these pieces of artillery. But like I said I will go over cannon safety with both of them to ensure that no accidents will happen out of ignorance.
Every day should end with a BOOM!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Re: I wish we could get a hold of this guy to teach some safety lessons to......
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
thats great ,some new 'young blood' :)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: I wish we could get a hold of this guy to teach some safety lessons to......
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
Hey!  He can't be a bad guy. In the article, he was loaded and ready for the Confederates. ;D

I jess love, West By-God Virginians. Served with a number of them. Rat-nice guys.

Richard a.k.a. "Sgt. Blue Belly"
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:06:18 AM »
That NSA reference doesn't make any sense

http://www.nsa.gov/about/mission/index.shtml

The NSA/CSS core missions are to protect U.S. national security systems and to produce foreign signals intelligence information.

The Information Assurance mission confronts the formidable challenge of preventing foreign adversaries from gaining access to sensitive or classified national security information. The Signals Intelligence mission collects, processes, and disseminates intelligence information from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes and to support military operations. This Agency also enables Network Warfare operations to defeat terrorists and their organizations at home and abroad, consistent with U.S. laws and the protection of privacy and civil liberties.
Executive Order 12333, originally issued 4 December 1981, delineates the NSA/CSS roles and responsibilities. In part, the Director, NSA/Chief, CSS is charged to:

•Collect (including through clandestine means), process, analyze, produce, and disseminate signals intelligence information and data for foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes to support national and departmental missions;
•Act as the National Manager for National Security Systems as established in law and policy, and in this capacity be responsible to the Secretary of Defense and to the Director, National Intelligence;
•Prescribe security regulations covering operating practices, including the transmission, handling, and distribution of signals intelligence and communications security material within and among the elements under control of the Director of the National Security Agency, and exercise the necessary supervisory control to ensure compliance with the regulations.

EO 12333 was amended on 31 July 2008 in order to:

•Align EO12333 with the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004;
•Implement additional recommendations of the 9/11 and WMD Commissions;
•Further integrate the Intelligence Community and clarify and strengthen the role of the DNI as the head of the Community;
•Maintain or strengthen privacy and civil liberties protections

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »
Maybe the original reference was to N-SSA and the reporter, in his ignorance of things cannon, and having heard of the National Security Agency, wrote it down as NSA.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Matt Dixon

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
I don't know ether why it says NSA i will half to ask him when i talk to him but its hard to tell about him lol.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:28:01 AM »
Matt,

I've been pondering this question ever since KABAR opened this topic. Of all the times I've been out firing ordnance, and/or (for that matter) shooting firearms, I have never once been accosted by a reporter wanting to ask me questions. When you talk to your uncle, would you ask him how this situation just happened to come about?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »

Matt,

Glad to hear that a board member knows him personally, I could only go by what the news paper printed,
please invite him onto the board and let him know this was not a slite against him, but a concern for his
well being, I always hate hearing about cannon accidents and the aftermath, you know the people here
nobody was judging him just wanted to keep him safe.

As to the news paper article, it was a human interest piece I am assuming this is a small town, and probably
someone mentioned to someone so & so is building a cannon and thats how it ended up in the paper, I didn't
think it was a negitive story just some safety concerns.

Allen <><

Offline Matt Dixon

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
Hey guys, I will invite him here, and if I'm not mistaken he has been here b4, any way the reason he was in the paper is because his wife called the paper because when I turned 18 my mom asked  them to do an article about me and my accomplishments. It was very nice of her and it was like in the middle of the paper, but when my aunt did the same for her son they must not have had anything else to print so it made the front page but I don't think it was supposed to get that big.