Author Topic: WU Huntsman  (Read 867 times)

Offline brrrrt

• Trade Count: (0)
WU Huntsman
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:46:23 AM »
Greetings, been snooping around this board for awhile, but haven't posted before. Any of you who have seen this series please let me know. I saw it in a store rack at R and R Guns in Mauston WI on Wed. and had to have it. I've been wanting an inline for a while, procrastinating about sending my .243 ultra in for a barrel, but for 149+tax thought a dedicated ML was a better idea. I hunted western IL ml season with a Cabellas sidelock in the past (open sights). Going to put a red dot on this one, as the old eyes aren't what they used to be. It appears unfired. Posted this on the modern ml forum by mistake, so here it is where it belongs. 24" bbl, ser#nu282xxx
Still working/Almost retired

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: WU Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »
You did good .You also procrasinated long enough about sending it in as there are no more Huntsman barrels availible from the factory and they have said they are not making anymore so buying the whole gun for $150 is a very good deal. Got some ?'s on it is the frame stamped WU? or does it just have the camo stocks with the WU medallion in it also does the forarm appear to have been modified to fit the ram rod or is it factory finish?  and do the butt stock and forearm camo pattern match? I ask all this as I have never seen  one like it before. Congrat on the find. You will find it is very accurate . Kurt

Here's an earlier model that I have a 30/06 Ulta Comp bbl on.
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:56:04 AM »
 ;D Kurt,

I asked the same questions when he posted it down in the inline forum. I think he has a genuine WU camo wood stocked Huntsman. I have never seen one either, and they must be pretty rare. Check out this link, looks factory to me, as that is a camo wood Huntsman forend and matching MU camo wood stock.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,182589.0.html

Just when I thought I knew everything about the Huntsmans. ::)  ;D

Congratulations on the find brrrrt!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline PHATINJUN

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
AHH SO Busta. I wonder if they took a Side Kick forearm and shortened it to fit ? Were the Side Kicks or the Heritage out in 2004? Very cool find though. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline sbuff

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 08:05:32 AM »
I am 99% sure I got my Heritage in 2004.I would have to check my paper work to confirm it.That stock and forarm look exactly like the one on my heritage..I will have to compare the camo pattern.

Steve

Offline brrrrt

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Thanks for your interest, guys. It appears that the stock was added afterward to the receiver/bbl.,  as there are no other markings related to WU. I am feeling extreeeemly lucky to have seen this one when I did. Nothing else came with it, so I just sent a M.O. to Nick for a 7/8" MU breechplug. I've learned a lot on this forum and want to thank y'all for sharing so much great information. I'll be hangin' around on this forum and when I finally get it to the range, I'll check back in and give a report.-Art

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
I am 99% sure I got my Heritage in 2004.I would have to check my paper work to confirm it.That stock and forarm look exactly like the one on my heritage..I will have to compare the camo pattern.

Steve

The Heritage came out in 2004, but they have camo SYNTHETIC stock and forend, the WU stock and forend brrrt has pictured is camo over WOOD. It looks like the real McCoy to me. Unless someone had a pallet wood Huntsman forend camo dipped to match the WU stock?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline PHATINJUN

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
Another possible orphan like my 17HMR Versa Pac maybe ? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline brrrrt

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Got my Metrics Unlimited breachplug today. Sent the moneyorder on Tue., got it on Sat. Thankyou to Nick and his crew. The plug locks up perfectly, and the primers I tried (Rem.sts) were perfect center striked. They pulled out with my fingers. Going to the farm next week and will try a couple differant loads out. Thanks Busta, Phatinjun, Sbuff. Heres a couple more Pics.-Art

Offline brrrrt

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 05:28:16 AM »
Finally got out to shoot the rifle yesterday. Bought some Blackhorn powder at the Cabellas store on way to a friend's farm (29.95 a can) to try out with the MU plug. Using a 300gr Nosler jhp .430 bullet, TC green sabbot, 80gr BH, Remington shotgun primer, it shot flawlessly. The primers just came out with my fingers. I only got to shoot it for function (10 shots), as there wasn't a solid rest available, so I only shot offhand. Was shooting at a target 30 or so yards away and got on paper after a few adjustments. There was only minor sooting of the bbl, and no blowback through the primer, as the o-ring seemed to prevent. I'll try to get to a proper range to fine tune and get more familiar with it this coming week. This forum with its great help available has helped me to easily get this little rifle up and running. I can forsee getting some deer with it and I enjoy shooting it at targets too. Thanks, guys.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »
Glad to hear everything is working out for you brrrrt.

Get yourself rest, you'll be surprised how well these Huntsmans can shoot.

Just make sure you clean that BH209 with standard gun cleaning solvents, not any water based cleaners. Then use a good gun oil to protect the bore. The powder is supposed to be non-corrosive and I think it is with hot primers, but any fouling left in the bore can trap moisture, and that can be trouble, even with stainless barrels. If you happen to shoot conicals with any type of water-based lube, make sure to clean as soon as possible, then oil the bore.

I really think most of the soot/fouling comes from the 209 primers, they can be dirty buggers in some rifles. The Hoppes No 9 and Montana X-treme "Cowboy Blend" both work well, I prefer the CB, but it has a stronger odor than the Hoppes.

You know, a dab of that Hoppes behind each ear just drives women wild! ;D

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline brrrrt

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »
Yeah, Busta. That Hoppes does drive women wild, as I've been driven out of the house to clean my firearms. Especially when I use the Sweets762 on the AK's. Ah, the aroma of ammonia. I always try to clean everything up right away after shooting. The recomendation to use regular firearm cleaning methods was mentioned elsewhere on a thread relating to Blackhorn. I remembered, but thanks for reminding me. The shotgun primers can be quite dirty. I use Shooters Choice as that is what I have for the non corrosive cleaning. I also like using JB to smooth the bbl on a new firearm. Bought some of the newer type foaming bore cleaner recently. Haven't used it yet, but had reports from a buddie that it was the nuts.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
brrrt, Thanks for sharing your "find" and the pics you supplied. You done good!