Author Topic: Encore Hinge pin ??  (Read 1562 times)

Offline UtahRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/
Encore Hinge pin ??
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
 For the longest time TC ( and many others ) LOL said the need of any other  hinge pin BUT THE STOCK ONE was NOT needed ,Now they sell a adjustable one that fits tighter and does not move  and makes you gun shoot more accurate .   Quote ''Adjustable Hinge Pin for increased accuracy on a ALL Encores.''  

http://www.tcarms.com/store/adjustable-encore-hinge-pin.html

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
Re: Encore Hinge pin ??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »
I'd like to hear T/C's explanation as to exactly how this new pin works and what it accomplishes that increases accuracy. For a measly $13 I'd buy one in a minute if I thought that it would improve performance.

Actually, an oversized pin that has no moving parts sounds like a much better idea for a hinge pin.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
Depends on whether you want to keep or sell the receiver or the barrels in the future & treating everyone right.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline UtahRob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »
I'd like to hear T/C's explanation as to exactly how this new pin works and what it accomplishes that increases accuracy. For a measly $13 I'd buy one in a minute if I thought that it would improve performance.

Actually, an oversized pin that has no moving parts sounds like a much better idea for a hinge pin.

I have a Bell_ 1 X in mine and a stronger  spring in the locking bars and it NOW locks up like it should ,

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »
If you look at the picture, it seems the TC pin is slotted with a taperd wedge that expands the pin when the centerbolt is tightened. I think it's a great idea if it does that. The other pin on the market has a centerbolt but doesn't increase in diameter when you tighten it. I have one of these other pins and the action is actually looser than stock. It might even be the cause of a problem I'm havin' on another thread. I just replaced it with a 2x and we'll see.

Offline UtahRob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »
If you look at the picture, it seems the TC pin is slotted with a taperd wedge that expands the pin when the centerbolt is tightened. I think it's a great idea if it does that. The other pin on the market has a centerbolt but doesn't increase in diameter when you tighten it. I have one of these other pins and the action is actually looser than stock. It might even be the cause of a problem I'm havin' on another thread. I just replaced it with a 2x and we'll see.

I also had a locker pin and it is smaller that the stock pin i had  . The 1x slipped in by hand with no tapping at all . i just pushed it in very hard with my thumb . My receive   no longer has  wobble in it even when opened . Mine would get flies if i did not remember to slam  it closed .  No longer a problem  . No two  encores  seem to be the same , i have seen some that are very tight and other worse than mine was .There is a New pro hunter and a Encore here in town and  both have barrels  that wobble like crazy unless you slam the closed .  Mine  now Feels like a 700.00 gun should .

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
TC Encore guns are a very sore subject with me.  I bought an Encore as a muzzleloader.  Also bought a bunch of barrels and scopes for that gun.  Had problems with headspace and side play when the barrel  locked up.  Replaced the pin with a larger one, then another larger one, replaced the hammer spring with a stronger one and replaced the lockup springs.  Kept the ML barrel a good .22 Hornet and a .35 Whelen barrel and sold the rest at a big loss. 

It boggles my mind that my 60 year old Winchester model 37 shotgun locks up tight as a vault with no side play.  It will not close on a cigarette paper.  Decades later with all the modern CNC equipment in the world TC cannot get it right.