Author Topic: Tumble lube?  (Read 589 times)

Offline IDMoose

• Trade Count: (0)
Tumble lube?
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
     Hi All,
I seen this posted on different forum and was just wounding what other have to say?  Can you use LBT type lube on Tumble lube boolits? I do have 3 molds that are tumble lube and have not used them yet do to never using tumble lube boolits before.

Moose

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Tumble lube?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
If you're wanting to use it in a sizer I suppose that you could. I did with a .45 TL that I had. It worked, but I didn't feel really happy about the way it looked, as it wasn't intended to be sized. I since sold that mold, but still have a few of the bullets left, which I TL using Johnson's paste wax..Works good for me!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:29 AM »
Ive done in and it works fine. kind of a pain in a star but a lyman or rcbs sizer does it fine. Most tuble lube bullets hold enough lube that way at least for moderate velocitys.
blue lives matter

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »
Since you have some tumble lube bullets you might as well go ahead and get some Lee Liquid Alox and give it a try.  It is really pretty good stuff.  The melting point is higher than lead.  I put some tumble lube bullets that I didn’t want into my pot and the lead melted long before the lube did.  There was just little bullet shells lying on top of the lead.  Then when it did melt it made a gooey mess on top of the lead but it cleaned off easy enough.

I have used Lee Liquid Alox for many years now.  At first I didn’t have a lube sizer so I lubed with the LLA.  Now I have a lube sizer but still use LLA on most of my cast bullets because I can shoot hundreds of rounds without leading.  I even tumble lube factory made cast bullets with the stuff if they lead and it always cures the problem.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline IDMoose

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:44:18 AM »
I’ll have to cast some up and try it both ways to see if there will be any leading?? These are gas checked boolits. The molds I’m looking at using are RD460 350gr and 425gr ;D

IDMoose