Author Topic: Good deal on Remington package rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods  (Read 4323 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Good deal on Remington package rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
I walked into Dicks Sporting Goods tonight and saw Remington ADL camo rifles with scopes for $450.  I couldn't believe that.  I thought it was a heck of a deal and if they were as accurate as a Savage out of the box I'd have bought one.  (shameless joke towards the remington guys, only meant in good fun).  Anyway, if anyone was thinking about getting a new rifle before hunting season, that'd be a great deal.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Good deal on Remington package rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »
NOT ADLS. those are made just for dicks. they have the BDL floorplate. even better deal :)
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
I was looking at it across from the counter.  The rifles looked exactly like the varmint rifles right next to it, instead of 550 they were 450.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »
oh. well from what i saw the ones on sale for $459 or whatever, were basically a VLS...or whatever remington calls them now...with a floorplate and the varmint stock...

hmm maybe i should go look again...
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:03:05 AM »
I'll take another look also.  I didn't get to handle one because there wasn't a guy behind the counter at the time and I was trying to lean over and read the tags.  I was mainly shocked that they were selling brand new scoped remingtons at that price and they weren't the 710 cheapo versions.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 07:43:52 AM »
What was the scope on it? I wonder if they stock any lefties. Dick's is a drive for me but might be worth it if they have a LH model.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline vabowhntr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
Their flyer says ADL.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »
I couldn't see the details on the scope and didn't look that hard either.  You have to assume that at that price it's the cheapest piece of glass and crosshairs they could find.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
I believe the scopes are Bushnells.  I have one and it was an MOA rifle right out of the box.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
Teddy perhaps they have had too may returns on the 710's? or they found out before that they just cannot sell them  ???. The only way to find out is ask Dicks  ;).

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
For a little bit more you can get a 700ADL at Walmart with a laminated stock.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:56:01 AM »
Remington ADL camo rifles with scopes for $450. 
I'd rather pay an extra $100 and get a CZ 550 or Tikka T3. I am tired of plastic rifles that need gunsmiths to make them shoot.
I also think that camo stocks are uggly.

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »

For once I'm with Swampman on this.  Pay a little more and get a beautiful ADL with a wooden stock.  You can find a cheap Bushnell anywhere, if that's what you really want to put on it.

Mannyrock

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »
Kind of high for a ADL, I would wait for a BDL or CDL.

If you want a ADL, you can find them used for very cheap and then purchase a lot better scope.

yooper77

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
A new CDL will be very expensive.  There are no cheap Remingtons in my area.  The Remington will be more accurate than a CZ or Tikka.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
Remmy must'a been pushing a bunch out trying to move them or something, because Cabela's also had ADLs with a cheap scope for a very low (for a Rem 700) price a weekend or two ago.  My brother even called to tell me, though I'm not in the market for ugliness right now.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »
  The Remington will be more accurate than a CZ or Tikka.

Oh dear Swampman  ::) I see you have slipped back into your delusional world again. Time for more tablets methinks  ;)

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 03:35:36 AM »

OK,  I'll break the thread.  [Somebody's gotta do it!  :-)  ]

Unless you really want a camo stock, and a cheap scope, that $425 (plus tax!) is not a good price, since you can go to any large gun show near a big city and get a used ADL, in near excellent condition, for about $325 to $350, just by looking and bargaining.   Times are very hard, and  Remington 700 ADLs are ubiquitous, so it is not hard to do.  And, in the vast majority of cases, you won't have to pay sales tax.

Those guys sitting behind their small tables in the darkened corners of the gunshows didn't pay more than $200 for any ADL sitting out on their counters, and yes they will readily part with them for a $150 profit on any slow, rainy, Sunday afternoon, about 1 hour before closing time, especially in January through March.   If they have put a cheap scope and mounts on it, and tried to add another $100 to the asking price, then tell them to forget that scope and mounts, you won't pay for them.  They will readily take them off and try to use them on some other sucker.

Or, if you can be a little patient, just watch the classified ads for a few weeks.  People are selling stuff right and left.

We've got to quit making new stuff, and recycle the hundreds of thousands of near excellent  used hunting  rifles that are sitting in the back of people's closets, the majority of which were far better made than what is being cranked out today at the low end today.  The walnut stocks used on rifles of the 1950s through the early 1970s are beautiful  compared to the junk walnut on most rifles today.

So, "Going Green" means buying used Remingtons!

Regards,

Mannyrock

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »

;D I like that ! only for me that would be a model 30 or it's laters configurations. It would not be a 700 though.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »

That pretty funny coming from a guy who has probably never even held a CZ or Tikka, little alone shot one.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 06:31:49 AM »
Unless you're the type of person who thinks of beating your head against a wall as a great way to spend some time, don't bother arguing with Swampy about the superiority of Remingtons.

Seriously.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »
This is the wrong time of year to buy center fire rifles, wait till deer
season is over then mama will be sending them to the pawn shops or
gun shows. They will lots cheaper after season. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »

I am all for it. "going green" - energy efficiency wise has saved me a lot of cash and will continue to do so in the next 20 years. You just put a different perspective on things! I like that.
I suppose one day i will walk into a gun show, pick up a 1960s or 1970s Remington, and recycle it into a "juicy" rifle.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
This is the wrong time of year to buy center fire rifles, wait till deer
season is over then mama will be sending them to the pawn shops or
gun shows. They will lots cheaper after season. ;D
True. Something about lack of job security, and lack of economic, social, and family stability drives many consumers towards inexpensive  products that end up in the trash heap or the pawn shops. With 50% of marriages ending up in divorce, there must be millions of firearms being dumped by guys trying to find cash for attorneys or child support. We have billions of killowat hours of energy and millions of tons of steel and plastic trapped in mediocre hunting products.
Let's go green. Let's recycle Remingtons.

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »

That ain't necessarily so.  Besides, you can a brand spankin' new M-700 off the rack at Wal-Mart.  How cool can they really be?

-JP

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »
JP, please refer to my previous post in this thread.

SERIOUSLY.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »

That ain't necessarily so.  Besides, you can a brand spankin' new M-700 off the rack at Wal-Mart.  How cool can they really be?

-JP

Of course it's so.  Sub-MOA right out of the box is cool enough for me.  You can pay more but you won't get more.

Offline Coyote Hunter

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 04:23:57 AM »

-JP
Of course it's so.  Sub-MOA right out of the box is cool enough for me.  You can pay more but you won't get more.

Swampgas –

Get over it.  The Remington M700 is not the end-all, be-all of rifles, nor is it necessarily the most accurate out of the box.  Claims to the contrary are just bull crap.

The last two brand new Rem M700’s I’ve shot (.308 Win and .30-06) were less than stellar in the accuracy department – good enough for hunting but disappointing at the range.  And that was with 5 different factory loads for the .30-06 - Winchester, Federal, Hornady, two Remington - and several different handloads.  For the .308 Win several different factory loads were used.

That’s not to say Remingtons can’t be made to shoot – but that is no different than most rifles.  For out-of-the-box accuracy with an inexpensive rifle, my money would go to Savage. – again based on experience.

Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 04:36:25 AM »
For out-of-the-box accuracy with an inexpensive rifle, my money would go to Savage. – again based on experience.

My experience also, but I will give Remington credit for one thing that Savage no longer does.  They make affordable rifles chambered in the Ultra Magnum series of calibers.  Savage did it for a while, must not have sold enough and quit.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:33 AM »
My experience also, but I will give Remington credit for one thing that Savage no longer does.  They make affordable rifles chambered in the Ultra Magnum series of calibers.  Savage did it for a while, must not have sold enough and quit.

teddy12b perhaps the reason for that is that cartridges like the RUM's are not needed and not even wanted by most shooters  ::).