Author Topic: Good deal on Remington package rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Good deal on Remington package rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
Hey guys, I've thought it out and it has become extremely clear to me, based on my 50 years experience, that Remingtons are simply average rifles and the most accurate and best values in rifles can really be seen in the likes of CZs, Tikkas, and Savage.

Well, that sure is different, Swamper. ;D
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 03:22:52 AM »
Hmmm the Remington 700 may indeed be an average rifle but on that note so are the CZ550, Savage 110 etc and the Tikka T3. They are main road production rifles after all and yes i ahve missed a few make/models off as there are so many of them  ;)

Now all of them may and can have slight problems ever more serious issues ad only a fool would think otherwise. I do believe that remington could imporove their quality to the customers advantage but that's not the issue here.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »
well i was dumb.

my wallet wishes i hadn't but i went to Dick's and bought one of these, in .22-250. btw i was wrong, this is an ADL.

i was down to a 6.5x55 and .25-06 and wanted a proper varmint rifle.

the x-mark trigger is a tad heavy for my tastes but zero creep. leaving it alone for now.

the barrel is 26" and HEAVY. i may end up having my gunsmith take 3" or so off so i can carry it without pulling it behind me on wheels lol...

very well finished, fit is perfect. no complaints at all out of the box. not too often i can say that.

the scope rings however were paperweights. very soft aluminum and way too high for the scope. i replaced those, and all is well.

the scope is not marked but i believe it to be a cheaper Bushnell 4-12x40.

got 'er all cleaned and ready to be shot this weekend. i have some factory ammo (shudder) left over from forever ago, and i will use that for now.

i will letcha know how this non-bedded, non free-floated rifle does ;)

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
Hey guys, I've thought it out and it has become extremely clear to me, based on my 50 years experience, that Remingtons are simply average rifles and the most accurate and best values in rifles can really be seen in the likes of CZs, Tikkas, and Savage.

Well, that sure is different, Swamper. ;D

I don't know who said this but it wasn't me.  I'd say the CZs, Tikkas, and Savages are nice entry level department store rifles and the the 700 Remington is "the most accurate and best selling production centerfire rifle in the world." 
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Coyote Hunter

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
I don't know who said this but it wasn't me.  I'd say the CZs, Tikkas, and Savages are nice entry level department store rifles and the the 700 Remington is "the most accurate and best selling production centerfire rifle in the world." 

Best selling, perhaps.

Most accurate?  Not in my experience.
Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »
Hey mjbgalt,

I like that kind of dumb  ;D and am waiting for the shooting report. I must say gave me a laugh with this:-

the barrel is 26" and HEAVY. i may end up having my gunsmith take 3" or so off so i can carry it without pulling it behind me on wheels lol...

Funny thing but I was discussing how we modern folks seems to have it easy compared with our grand parents. Was at the archery club and the talking with a fellow member who just made me a nice leather knife sheaf to replace the Cordura one that came on the Fost Apache knife and it got round to leather scope covers as I need some for a Pecar scope. This led to air rifles and he has Weihrauch 77 which is said is HEAVY  ??? well weights came up and I pointed out that during WW1 the troops carried 9lb and 10lb rifles. The P-14/17 weighs 10lbs. Reading Whelan's writings 10lbs was considered a normal weight for a big game rifle (deer, black bear, sheep) rifles for magnums like the 300 H&H he said should be about 12lbs and he didn't recomend magnums for normal city dwelling sportsman as they were not used to the exercise of carrying such things  ;D ;D they were only for fit hardy men.

Consider the difference in todays rifle weights  ;) and the drive for lightweight rifles, which Whelan couldn't stand. Another thing Whelan said was the scope mounts should be heat treated alloy steel................. my how things have changed.

Hmmm I like the 22-250 cartridge  ;D brought a well worn BSA CF2 cheap as a project and it came with a few rounds of Federal factory ammo so like a fool I tried it out and found even with a worn, visably worn that is, leade it shot groups of under 1" so it never got converted  :) when the accuracy finally dropped off so it didn't stay in the 1" or under bracket my plans had changed to it was traded and ended up shootign Foxes on a free range egg farm. Another reason for trading it was they changed the range regulations which brought in a velocity limit of 3275fps and of course the 22-250 easily beats that so I was told that rifles in 22-250 were banned from the ranges  :o

Good luck with your new acquisition  ;D

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
they changed the range regulations which brought in a velocity limit of 3275fps and of course the 22-250 easily beats that so I was told that rifles in 22-250 were banned from the ranges  :o

What the heck? Can you at least eat soup with whatever size spoon you want? What is wrong with you Brits, putting up with so much crap?

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
Most of the rifle ranges are owned and run my the MOD ( Ministry of Defence) and they licence civilain ranges as years ago it was decreed they were expect in safety and ballistics  ::) when in fact thay only really know much about the service cartridge so the range regulations are written with the 5.56mm cartridge in mind hence the 3275fps limit.

I notice tha you Americans accpet restrictions on type of bullets like steel cored/jacketed  ??? so where is the difference really?

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »
Most of the rifle ranges are owned and run my the MOD ( Ministry of Defence) and they licence civilain ranges as years ago it was decreed they were expect in safety and ballistics  ::) when in fact thay only really know much about the service cartridge so the range regulations are written with the 5.56mm cartridge in mind hence the 3275fps limit.

I notice tha you Americans accpet restrictions on type of bullets like steel cored/jacketed  ??? so where is the difference really?

No offense intended. My apologies. Yes, we accept restrictions on steel cored bullets on public ranges due to concerns for safety and durability of the back stop berms. Some states allow hunting big game only with shotguns, because of safety concerns due to their dense and widely scattered populations and homesteads. In my favorite squirrel hunting area, we don't have firearm restrictions, but there are many homes and roads and cows within half a mile. Even though we would like to hunt with .22's on occasion, we use shotguns all the time.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 02:58:31 AM »
That's OK no offence taken  ;D the cultural differences are quite marked in some areas between the US and UK  ::) despite this small Island being more densly populated shotguns are not allowed, except in special circumstances which are fraught with risks, legal risks,for the shooting of deer so rifles must be used and unlike the US the Deer seasons are long.

I say seasons because we have a different season for Roe Buck, then one for Roe Doe, one for Fallow Buck then another for Fallow Doe and so on for Red and Sika. These seasons cover most of the year and at present there are no close seasons for Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer although there are moves to bring seasons in for those too but when and if it comes off  ??? we will have to wait and see. In fact except for Christmas day it's poosible to legally shoot deer all year here.

Another difference is the allowable sale of Venision, yep you can sell you deer meat should you wish to do so and professional stalkers do just that. A major difference is that there is NO Public land here, we have common land but there is no shooting on it unless you have the common rights on it.

I would hate to have to decide which is the better systems as they all have their good points and their bad points  ::) I suppose it's what we are used to in the end.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 03:21:18 AM »
Aren't silencers legal and used fairly regularly over there?  I'd love to shoot and hunt with one.  Not that I'd ever use subsonic ammo, but the reduced recoil & reduced noise would be nice and more user friendly.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
Yep Sound Moderators, as it's impossible to actually silence a firearm, so the noise is reduced or moderated  ;) there is percentages that have to be reached to be called a Moderator or slincer.

I have a Sound Moderator on a .22 Rim Fire for vermin shooting and yes I do use sub sonic ammo in that one and I am just applying for a "full Bore" sound moderator. It's licensed same as a firearm but is not a problem to get or so I am told. We will find out soon  ;) the one I will get which will be next year before I will have the finances to buy the sound moderator will be for a .243 Win chambered rifle as it's a suitable calibre and chambering for Fox shooting as well as Deer Stalking.

The Police initially tried to block us being allowed to have and use sound moderators but a court claim for hearing damage at work by a Forrestry Commision ranger put a stop to the Police objections as they were told by the Government (Home Office) that they must be allowed on the grounds of Health and Safety  ;D .

Some ranges actively encourage the use of them as it stops complaints about noise pollution and some places that let out stalking (Deer Hunting) also ecourage or insist on their use to protect thier staff's hearing.

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
ahem.

did i say i was going to modify this rifle in any way? heh, must have been kidding.

my eyes almost popped out today.

took it to the range, with REMINGTON FACTORY AMMO. didn't have time to mess with working up a load, just want it ready to hunt coyotes this winter.

so i bought a box of factory ammo, and yes i paid a lot and it makes me wanna puke.

but.

i shot at 50 yards to get it on paper. three shots, after dialing it in at 25 yards.

so...ten shots through it at this point.

shot 3 times. one damn hole.

i walked up to the target kinda ticked off.

then i saw the edge of the hole was ever so slightly oval.

yeah. it put all 3 INTO THE SAME HOLE.

with FACTORY AMMO.

even at 50 yards, i have never had a rifle that could do that.

i am still stunned. i am also a little apprehensive to reload for it. how can i improve on THAT? I know i can do it for half the cost but....wow.

....did i mention i used FACTORY AMMO?!?!

VERY happy with my cheap junk $449 remington rifle. lol

i have had 1 that shot ok, and two or three that shot like crap.

then i bought this one and it did this. damn.

i still love my vanguards but this one isn't leaving my safe.

and brit, no. i will not be bedding, shortening, adjusting, or floating. :)

-Matt

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:16 PM »
Can we ask what brand of factory ammo? ;D

Woops I just saw it was Remington ammo don't forget the Core-Lokt rebate going on right now.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »
Hey mjbgalt,

:D don't you just love it when that happens  ;). I guess your looking for some wheels now for it's carriage  :D

Hmmm I wonder who said it was cheap junk?

Oh I have heard of the Friday afternoon products where the quality has slipped as they are thinking of the weekend and going home not what their doing. I wonder what it's called when everything falls right like in this case ?  ;)

You would be a fool to let that one get away  ;) and you had better rush down and get some more "expensive" ammo from the same batch as it obviously likes it  ;D

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
i think people say "that one was made on a wednesday" for good stuff.

not buying more factory ammo...

at least...well...maybe lol

-Matt