Author Topic: First BP Cannon  (Read 1214 times)

Offline nematode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
First BP Cannon
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GuOYYB2cHbM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GuOYYB2cHbM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: First BP Cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
skip ! good vid  ;D great looking dictator brass mortar .

nothing like a happy clam of a new cannon owner ......!    kinda reminds me of ,,,, me !

but i have one concern ..... and i dont mean to be rude . but ....you knew that was coming right ?

why on gods green earth would you put "a chunk like that" into a railroad tie . a nice old greasy nasty one too .....?

get some decent wood .........nearly any wood because of where you are starting .......any lowes or home depot can get you poplar .......

even nicley stained clear pine ........or dark pine or pallet wood , ak stocks , bannana  wood or near anything short of balsa wood ,  maybe even then .... ;D

that chunk "needs" some nice wood ! burl or cherry or .......your call .

railroad ties are for ....railroads .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
Rocklock1 - glad you liked the video. Thought it would be better than a written account. Thanks for your comments about choice of wood. I apologize for referring to the wood I plan to use as a "railroad tie" which it is not. It is a large, clean beam of solid wood - not sure what kind but very heavy and looks old. It has no tar etc on it at all. It's 10 x 10 inches on cross section and will be just the right size to carve a custom fit for this magnificent mortar. I can't tell you how excited I am. I also realize that all of my comments in the video are about the look and feel of the SuperX and have nothing to do with how well it will actually work. I will discover the latter aspect and capture that as well on video. In that case, I will show the step by step procedure used to load the cannon so that end results can be judged fairly based on user technique as part of that result. It will be a few weeks before I can get the next video up... don't even have powder or fuse yet and have to build the carriage. Thanks again... no offense taken. All comments are welcome provided this thread is not removed because of breaking another forum rule. I did not know where this kind of post should go so I put it here. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:38:03 PM »
That there is one fine looking cannon. You'll have many fine hours of fun with it. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
Thanks Ex 49er - I am looking forward to it! Your username cracks me up.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
Skip, do you have any Idea how many smoke and fire videos we have seen of someones new cannon...nowhere near enough. Hurry, we are getting impatient...we need smoke and fire!!!  ;D

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
DD - I guess you guys have seen plenty of cannon fire in live events along with videos. This makes me wonder - is there a designated place at GBO for videos?

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
DD - I guess you guys have seen plenty of cannon fire in live events along with videos. This makes me wonder - is there a designated place at GBO for videos?

Post em right here...yep seen plenty and want to see more, haven't seen enough.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:56:11 AM »
Skip ., Welcome to the "Golden Gun" club. It is a beautiful thing.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:33:48 AM »
Tropico, Tropico, hey didn't we  have a guy here by that name back in the olden days? :)

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »
Good to see you back, Tropico, we missed your little Pirates! Skip77, we always like to watch Fire & Smoke! Git yer Powder and Fuze and git er lit up! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »
Not sure where if anywhere I can buy fuse and powder locally. Any ideas? I have a link for the safety fuse provided to me by Brooks-USA. Can bp be ordered online or is that not advised? Also, Delaware state attorney office apparently ignored my request for information about the law and how it applies to my SuperX. I didn't ask them to dig out the details but just point me in right direction. Apparently, they can't even do that. Nice, huh? Man trying to be legal and no help from government.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:45:11 AM »
Skip,

I used to live in NJ and used to buy bp from several stores.  I left the area 2 years ago so I have no idea if they still carry it.  Worth the phone call.  Both of these places are up near Wilmington, DE so I am not sure how close that is to you.

http://www.millersgunshop.com/

http://www.millersguns.com/

There are the websites.

Good luck

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »
Go to our internet cannon resource list up in the stickies. Several suppliers near by Deleware. Back Creek Gun shop is a day trip for you over to Winchester, VA.  They have everything you need.  Call ahead.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
thanks BrokenPole and DD!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
ok skip , you've got your golden gun ......once it goes boom .

then yo clean the bore ......anything else ?

the can of worms i'm prying the lid off of is ........, are you going to let it tarnish or keep it nice and shiny .

'the tarnish' ....bunch has come up with a kinder gentler name .....patina ? but "rust and oxidation" by any other name would still smell as sweet .

me ,i'm a shinner .......sorry to offend .  keep her polished up on the outside .

you .....may....  ;D (you will) hear stories of polishing to the point of wearing away some bronze/brass . and messing up the lines ......making them wavey .

maybe if you force two or three pleebs ,pledges , cadets , recruits . or any other less than worthy creatures ....to do or die ...........well sure ......after ....a long time ........it 'might get wavey (not good)

and sure your great great grand childern ....may ....curse your good name for having done it .....but this is here and this is now .......those GG children will get by one day at a time .....somehow .

now if you like dark toney hues of .......    "patina"     .

i'll never forget a gunsmith school instructor said dont remove the patina ......? i said something to the effect ....you mean the rust ??

its like politicans and statesmen ........it's rust , untill its so old and ....dead , that well it becomes patina (statsmen) . yor gun ,your call , but that chuck sure looks nice .......shiny .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »
Because the Marines got so used to the Navy and the Air Force taking care of business, and them having all that leisure time for spit and polish, they kinda look at it as almost a religion.You appear a more active,sophisticated kinda guy.Sure looks good straight from box , you want a looker ?  or a kick a.. working gun.   
                  Patina is Beautifull.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
Because the Marines got so used to the Navy and the Air Force taking care of business, and them having all that leisure time...

I never knew the Royal Marines had it so cushy.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 12:56:10 AM »
Rocklock and Carronader, interesting topic whether to keep the SuperX bright or let it tarnish. I owned a vintage cornet that I had stripped to raw brass and in that case, it tarnished unevenly because of oil from skin getting on the valve casings just from playing the horn, I found it necessary to wipe it down with Tarnite once in awhile, which kept it bright and new looking even though it was actually 50 years old. I guess that experience is what caused me to handle the SuperX out of the box, with gloves, to prevent skin oil from starting to act on the metal. I'll wait and see how things go with this piece. If it starts getting spotty or unevenly tarnished, I'll hit it with Tarnite on the outside only, to keep it bright. As Rocklock suggested, there's always time for age to take over, when we're gone. And for carronader, the gun will kick ass either way :)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 08:10:39 AM »
Because the Marines got so used to the Navy and the Air Force taking care of business, and them having all that leisure time for spit and polish, they kinda look at it as almost a religion.You appear a more active,sophisticated kinda guy.Sure looks good straight from box , you want a looker ?  or a kick a.. working gun.   
                  Patina is Beautifull.

a 'working gun' ......who you gonna work over with it ?

'the cannons dont thunder ,there's nothing to plunder , i'm an over 40 victim of fate ....arriving too late .' JB

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 04:08:14 AM »
Hello and Cheers men !! ., I been very busy as of late getting things packed . Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »
Tropico ! where you bean ? is that six pack safley packed ?

I must ask , will you make an effort to keep your two of 6 barrels polished up ...? 8)

will you be with us long ......

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
Hello and Cheers men !! ., I been very busy as of late getting things packed . Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Hey Pyrate, it sounds like you're finally heading off to paradise in Cebu; good luck!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 12:56:49 AM »
Skip,  Nice looking cannon barrel!  Congratulations on your purchase.  Nice job on the video too, thanks for posting.  Dom

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:08 AM »
thanks Dom