Author Topic: Advice on new handgun scope?  (Read 443 times)

Offline cleveland48

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Advice on new handgun scope?
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
I'm looking for a new scope to go on my ruger blackhawk flattop 44 mag.  It has a six and half inch barrel.  What would you prefer.  I'm kinda liking a fixed 2 power but a variable would have its uses too.  So whay manufacturer do you prefer.  I don't have the money for the leupold.  So i'm looking at the weaver, swift, bushnes(not much luck with these in rifle),, or bsa or anything you may use I left out.  I shoot healthy charges of H110 in my 44 so toughness needs to be an issue. Thanks guys and good luck this year.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Advice on new handgun scope?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
2X is all you need on a .44 mag revolver. It's hard to beat the Leupold but really I kinda like the Bushnell 2X a bit better as it has a 28mm rather than 20mm objective so is much brighter during low light early and late hunting.

You can likely get a used Leupold for what a new one of the scopes you mention would cost you and it carries a life time warranty which they don't.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cleveland48

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
Graybeard which bushnell model are you refering too? the trophy?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:13 AM »
Graybeard which bushnell model are you refering too? the trophy?

Prolly BUT...I've had it a few years got it used from a member here thru the classifieds. It had the flip up type scope covers on it and I didn't take them off as I usually do. I tried just now to see and wasn't able to. I think I'd ruin them and maybe damage the scope to use more force than I did. They've aged on it and just don't seem to want to come off. I hate them and should have taken them off when I got it but didn't.

It's the brightest and clearest handgun scope I've ever owned. I think all I have left now besides it are one or two Leupold 2X scopes and a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 I got from the classifieds here for a project that never developed. I don't think I've ever even opened the package it came in. I don't have a scope on any of my handguns at this time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
I use a Burris 2x7x32 Balistic Plex on a 454 bull gun and 12ga slug gun. This pistol scope is rugged, made in USA, good glass, and has a bigger FOV than the others mentioned.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
Actually it has the same FOV at 2X as does the Leupold 2X. Yes those two have the widest FOV at that magnification range of those available.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125