Author Topic: Starting my 5year old son shooting  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Steve Pennington

• Trade Count: (2)
Starting my 5year old son shooting
« on: December 20, 2002, 12:31:43 AM »
My 5 year old son, Stephen, started shooting a .22 Davy Crickett rifle with a 4 power simmons scope. last year.  I let him shoot the Aquilla ammo, just primer and bullet.  Very quiet and safe.  I started him out on paper then went to gallon jugs.  Progressed to 2 liter bottles and then coke cans at 15 yards.  This Christmas I am giving him the Daisy breakable targets.  They look like a flat clay pigeon and are biodegradable.  I also plan on using balloons with his pellet rifle and .22.  I had planned on starting him with the peep sights but could not explain to him the proper sight picture.  I used the Burris Varminteer game on the Sierra reloading disk to get him used to the sight picture through a scope.  If anybody has an idea on how to teach him to use PEEP sights or open sights I would appreciate the advice.  Hope to start him squirrel hunting in a couple of years.  We also spend a lot of time on gun handling and safe behavior while shooting on the range.

Offline Jose Grande

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Starting my 5year old son shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 09:25:08 PM »
If there is no gun club around that has a shooting coach contact the NRA & buy the poster with the peep sights. Then you can show him how to line'em up. I teach that very thing but without something to show a new shooter yall may be on different pages & not realize it until he can't hit anything & that can cause serious problems for a newbe.
TREASURER-SW-GUNCLUB Inc. McComb Ms.
SASS#49686
 SASS#49686 NRA-RIFLE&PISTOL COACH               4-H RIFLE COACH 
 Crew-Chief-AA-Fuel-Altered 
                         SBSS#1110
Warthog