Author Topic: paint pads  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Elijah Gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
paint pads
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
I'm repainting my kitchen using the standard brushes, and rollers. I was wondering if anyone uses the newer paint pads instead. Are they easier to cut in with? Do they leave a good finish? I really do not like to paint,but if these pads are quicker, and easier I'd be able get some other paint projects done.   Thanks.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
Re: paint pads
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
I have used the small ones a few times and they do work very well just dont expect it to be faster... just a bit easier and cleaner.

The ones I used were more for edging though and not meant to replace a roller. They just didnt hold that much paint.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:29:52 AM »
Did it eliminate the need to use masking tape? If they can do that I'm sold. Needing to mask the wood work is the biggest pain of painting for me.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
I really, really hate painting and I'm a sloppy painter so I still need to mask everything. To me they are faster and splatter less than a roller. They will run paint off of the corners if you saturate them too much and drip all over the place. If you use them make sure you vaccuum the pad off before you use it to get any little loose fibers from the mfg process. Speaking from experience, I have a wall in my house with little hairs embedded in the paint.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:28:01 AM »
I've tried them for edging a couple times and found that a GOOD brush will do a much better job , just keep a damp rag with you as you cut in and don't worry about taping , a buddy of mine that is a pro painter told me about that trick .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »
Did it eliminate the need to use masking tape? If they can do that I'm sold. Needing to mask the wood work is the biggest pain of painting for me.

Did for me but as stimpy said... "keep a damp rag handy" and there will be no need for tape as long as you wipe the sides of the pad every time you dip it in the paint. Another great method is to use a thin piece of plastic or cardboard and slide it along as you paint.

Or have a look at this

[yt=425,350]O1HejU4CsFE[/yt]
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Use a sheetrock tape knife as an edger, keep a damp rag handy.  You will need to wipe every time you move it.  Works well around glass in windows anyway.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 02:30:14 AM »
I got myself a new cutting in brush and I'll just have to learn how to use it well.

Well I'm finished with painting the kitchen now. I ended up taping the woodwork at the bottom of the walls, and I also taped off some of the cabinets, and any where it was too tight of a space. I did learn to use the cutting in brush pretty good. The proper type of brush, and getting a good quality one made a big difference.
When I removed the tape I found I actually did a better job around the cabinets where I did not tape. I did a good job , but If I hadn't taped it would have been better. It would have taken longer tho.
When the next paint project has to be done I will try the paint pads for cutting in and see if they are faster/cleaner for me. The only thing that made the  kitchen such a bear to paint is having to work around all the cabinets,moving the fridge, stove, and lowering light fixtures. Makes any other place in the house easy by comparison.