Author Topic: Status of effort on Washington Navy Yard cannons  (Read 799 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Status of effort on Washington Navy Yard cannons
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:45:16 AM »
I sent another letter to the Navy on 22 June, certified, so I know they received it.  I have not yet received a response but did some telephone follow-up during the past few days.  The first verbal response I got was that the cannons didn't belong to the Curator of the Navy, they belonged to the Naval District of Washington, on whose property they are displayed.  However the last letter I got from NDW made it clear the cannons do in fact belong to the Curator Branch.  I was told by a person not directly in the line of administrative action, that the Navy will probably answer my letter, but they are currently preoccupied with some higher-profile issues, and has also had a great many personnel changes lately.  I'll wait another month before contacting the admiral in the Pentagon who is the one to contact when you are "blown off" by a Navy activity.

If you didn't see my other post on this, I've brought to the Navy's attention the sad state of corroding bronze cannons in Leutze park at the Washington Navy Yard, and recommended that either the Navy take some action to preserve them, or allow a private group such as the Company of Military Historians to assist somehow.  The Navy has a private affiliate, the Naval Historical Foundation, which is capable of accepting donations, awarding contracts, etc. on behalf of the Navy, but it requires permission from the Navy to proceed on any such project.  One of my objectives in sending the letter was to initiate some dialogue which could result in the Navy allowing the NHF to assist with the cannons.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Status of effort on Washington Navy Yard cannons
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:45:42 AM »
John,

Have you considered contacting the  National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/about-us/history.html for consideration under the Save Americas Treasures program  http://www.preservationnation.org/travel-and-sites/save-americas-treasures/?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Thanks DD, that has been suggested-I read thru the regs governing their operation and they really have no "teeth" in those regs.

I just got an email from the acting curator, in response to my attempts to get info on the phone yesterday.  He says they have my letter for action and should have an answer out to me soon, so that's progress anyway, I'll wait to see what they say.  That's at least more encouraging than denying they own the cannons.

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:10:32 AM »
John,

They don't need any teeth. If they and others start asking questions of the Navy, the Navy will get nervous.  If I were you I would contact every one of these type organizations and ask them for help. Every single one of them. They will respond to you yes or no, and the they will cc the Navy.

Further in every state in which one of these guns rest I would write each member of the Congressional delegation and report the Navy's neglect and abuse of our cultural and a historical property.

You can also start a letter writing campaign.  John I know you cross post  about these problems on several forums. Make the following post on those forums

Identify one specific cannon that is being destroyed by the Navy's neglect. The more historic and ornate the cannon, the better. Tell us where this cannnon is located.  Post a picture of the damage. Do not post a link to one of your famous slide shows or movies, but one single actual picture in the post showing the damage. And not a link to the picture but a picture so when the reader opens the post he sees the damage.  Identify fully what the damage is and offer and opinion of what is causing it and how it can be stopped.
Provide us the names and contact info of the Congressional delegation where that cannon is located.

Then ask the reader to contact their Congressional delegation to ask them to contact the delegation in the state where the cannon is located and to do what they can to get the Navy to protect our historical property.

What will happen is some of the Senators and Crongressmen will actually write the other Senators or Congressmen, and when they do the they will CC the Navy.  The recieving Senator or Congressman will respond and cc the Navy.

The Navy will get shotgunned with letters about the neglected cannon. 

I can tell you from my days working in DC, no Government Agency wants any negative issue about there agency paraded before any Senator or Congressman.  Add this pressure to the pressure of other Agencies sticking there nose in Navy business, something will happen.   

Never ignore the toothless. By themselves they can do little, as part of a group, they carry weight.

Go for it John!!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 05:19:20 AM »
Thanks, I will soon see what the Navy's current position on the cannons is, and if they have decided to either take some action or accept assistance from a group which will do so, that will certainly save a lot of letter writing.  I'll keep y'all posted!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 02:33:49 AM »
The Navy hasn't seen fit to answer my certified letter sent four months ago.  It is still clear to me that the officials in charge there have an express or implied duty to protect public property in their charge, and they are negligent in that duty.

Anyone who doesn't think the acid rain and bird droppings are a problem should watch this brief video which clearly illustrates the ongoing destruction of these national treasures.
[yt=425,350]c3OCocX5pU0[/yt]

I do appreciate the suggestions about contacting the NTHP etc. but having worked in the Navy for many years, I know the Navy staff lawyers would be able to deflect any pressure from that direction very quickly, so I'm not going to spend time going that way.  The only good way to put pressure on the Navy is via Congress, and that's where some of you may be able to help.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »
Use every weapon in your arsenal to fight the battle. The Navy is already blowing you off.  Add pressure.  Contact  NHT, Congress, Navy league, Marine Corps Leaque, EPA, Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution, Grand Army of the Republic, Sons of the Confederacy, White House Council on Environmental Quality. There are also many unit organizations who will help you.

Find a cannon that was captured by a specific Military unit.  Contact that Unit Veterans Organization or Association and make them aware of the loss.

You need help. But you need the right help. We can all write letters. But our letters won't carry the weight of the type organization listed above.

As a result of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 DoD had a change in their Financial mangement plan that requires them to account for Property, Plant and Equipment in two catagories; General PP&E and Stewardship PP&E.  Under Stewardship is two subcatagories; Heritige Assets and Stewardship land.

In April all Agencies in DOD had to make a report to White House Council on Environmental Quality on what they were doing to comply National Environmental Protection Act/National Historic Preservation Act requirements.

You think the NHPA won't help you, you are very wrong. They are hot button right now.

As an old Navy guy, I understand your loyalty to the Navy, but the Navy, (Army, Air Force, Marines)  need a bit of a boot to the backside and your boot alone doesn't carry much kick, but you add in the weight othose other agencies and groups, Navy will listen!

You can make a boiler plate letter send a letter to all these groups. Make the letter very basic about what the probelm is ask for help and direction. Ask for some one to contact you to help deal with Navy.  Make the letter one page.  Cost a sheet of paper, envelope and stamp.

And trust me from experience, Navy  doesn't ignore any complaint from any source. I know from my time in Government when competing for budget dollars, one Agency does not like to get a letter of complaint or compliance from another Government agenciy.

And when you write your Congress-critter, be sure and tell them all the agencies you have contacted and how the have blown you off.

What do you have to loose?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
Find a cannon that was captured by a specific Military unit.  Contact that Unit Veterans Organization or Association and make them aware of the loss.

You need help. But you need the right help. We can all write letters. But our letters won't carry the weight of the type organization listed above.

I agree.

On the few occasions I've received attention from someone at higher levels of a large company/city govt agency concerning something trivial to them, It never came by direct contact; it came by meeting 'someone who knew someone' who could pave the way for me by puting a bug in a particular ear.

You might try internet searches for American Legion, VFW, etc. members who show an interest in preservation of artifacts who have family or professional ties to military or government agencies.

You never know. Some 80 year old Vet with a Grandson at the Pentagon might be out there willing to help.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes