Author Topic: 45GAP  (Read 1306 times)

Offline crawfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
45GAP
« on: October 06, 2003, 03:30:14 PM »
Saw this the other day on Guns and Ammo TV. Anybody have/shoot/seen this. I just might have to trade in my beloved .41RemMag for this sweet thing :( .....NO WAY just add it to my safe :grin: ..... much better :)
Love those .41s'

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 03:36:25 AM »
Crawfish,
Are you refering to the .45 ACP short offered by Glock? Good luck to them selling that one! Of course it might be a collector's item in a year or so.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
45 Glock
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 03:56:26 AM »
crawfish:  I think it's just going to be a matter of time before most folks simply have the chamber lengthened to take the good old 45 acp.  Just my 2 cents.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 04:17:08 AM »
Mikey,
Does that mean you're not in the market for the 45 ACP short? Better hurry and get one, there may be a big market for a less capable  45!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline KN

45GAP
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:03:55 PM »
I gotta agree with most posts on this one. I don't see it going any where. The article talked about the round being the same length as a 9mm so the action could be shorter. I don't see that as a problem. I am more concerned with width of a concealable pistol than I am with length.  KN

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Short 45s
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 03:48:47 AM »
Savage - you cad!  The only people who would advocate for a half sized 45 are the same HUD idjits who twisted S&W into that agreement - maybe the anti-gun people would be interested in something like that.  Who knows, it might start a new movement on a parallel with peta.  They could call it People for the Less Effective Gun, or PLEG, or People Hoping for Lesser Effective Men - PHLEM.  I dunno, but both would make me spit.  They could make it go bang and possibly scare away the uninformed without ever having to worry about huring anyone.  Best of all their possible worlds, huh?  Just Mikey here.

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 04:32:45 AM »
Mikey,
Maybe Glock just wanted to jump on the "shorter is better" bandwagon with the "super short " rifle cartridge crowd. If they market this round really well, people will buy it. Still haven't been able to find any advantage is taking an already limited capacity case and reducing it. Looks like a shorter round of that dia. might have feeding problems as well in a self loading pistol. If I were going to limit myself to a heavy .40 bullet weight in the .45, I'd just go with the .40 (shudder) as it has a higher BC due to the length for the dia. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get more of these rounds into a narrower mag because they're shorter! I have a mdl 36 and an Officer's size .45 which are about as small as I need for the caliber. Wonder how the new gun compares size wise to the mdl 36? Guess I need to go to the Glock site and check it out.---------
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 07:56:46 AM »
Hmmmm, I carry my mdl 36 in the same holster as my mdl 19. Bet the mdl 30 would fit too-----------. Someone tell me again, what does this new round/gun have to offer?
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline RemingtonDave

45GAP
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 06:55:14 AM »
I think Gaston Glock was/is jealous of the 357SIG popularity and wanted HIS name on HIS cartridge.
Personally, I think he would have been much better off necking down a .45ACP to .40 or .41. I've never been tempted to buy a Glock, but a .41/45ACP would certainly do it.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 11:51:32 AM »
RemmingtonDave,
You're in luck! Get a Glock mdl 21 and buy a 400 Corbon barrel for it.
Now you have a 45ACP necked down to 40! Interested?
Stay Save,
Savage

Offline RemingtonDave

45GAP
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 12:41:12 PM »
I've got a 400 Corbon barrel for my Colt 1911.
I was just making the point that he would have been better off heading in a different direction, necking down instead of shortening.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 12:53:52 AM »
RemingtonDave,
You're absolutely correct. You might think when a new cartridge was developed that it might be an improvement over the parent round. Not!!!
At least in this case the goal was a .45 bore Glock with a shorter length of pull. I happen to own one, it's called a Glock mdl 36! Frankly, I still have yet to be convinced of the advantages of this round!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

45GAP
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2003, 02:25:07 AM »
savage-
i think it was you who suggested that i purchase a 400 carbon barrel for my sig 239 and this has caused me to wonder sum thangs.
am i understanding that the cabon 400 and the 357sig are about the same?
what are the advantages/disadvantges to tha 400?
rcoil different?
accuracy?
defenseive loads better/worse?
jest trying ta put it all together in my head.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

45GAP
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2003, 12:40:29 PM »
Hey William,
Essentially the 357 Sig is a 40 S&W necked down. The 400 Corbon in a 45 ACP case necked down to 40. The 357 Sig is very close in energy to the lighter weight bullets in the 357 magnum cartridge. The 400 Corbon produces velocity and energy levels that are comparable to 40 Super. A 40 can be converted to 357 Sig with as little as a barrel change. Likewise the 45 ACP to 400 Corbon. The beauty of these conversions is that they can be changed back and forth in a matter of seconds. If you have a 40 and want a 357 Sig, you buy an aftermarket barrel and you are in business! You then have two caliber capabilitiy in one gun. The same goes for the 45ACP & 400 Corbon. OR--------you can buy a Glock mdl 20 and a 357 Sig and 40 S&W barrel and have three choices in one platform!
Ain't life grand!!!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
45GAP
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 04:13:32 AM »
Hay Fellas, I just thought of something - Austria is where they make the Glock, right???  Isn't that where they still have Dwarf Throwing Contents???  Maybe they think there is a need for a short 45.  Hmmmmm, I'm beginning to wonder now..........Mikey.

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
45GAP
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 03:17:40 PM »
Nothing like trying to reinvent the wheel

Offline williamlayton

45GAP
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 11:16:41 PM »
mikey-
that wonderin can lead to--well ya know. :roll:  :roll:
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
45GAP
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2003, 04:25:59 AM »
Mikey,

They have dwarf throwing contests in Australia. :D

Offline Don Dick

• Avid Poster
45GAP
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 04:42:02 AM »
I have the 45 Glock.  Lets see what can we compare it too, how about all the short  magnums  that have come out for rifles.  Shorter cases same
performance.  Sounds like Glock did not start this trend now did he.

:roll:
Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay awhile and leave footprints on our hearts.  And we are never.  Ever the same.   Authur unknown.  In memory of my son Jonathan.

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
45GAP
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
i dont own a glock at all now but wouldnt mind having another one day.
but i have at one time or another carried just abt every model made except for this new gap model. i always liked the way the model 19,23,17,22 guns felt in my hand but i have always loved the big 45 bullets.
the model 21,30,36's always felt to long in the grip for me, in that i mean from the back strap to the front of the grip frame i always had to turn my hand to operate the controls. anyways i guess that might be the thinking behind this new gun.
if you will remember it wasnt to long ago that every one was touting the 40 s&w  as being the 40 short and weak!

Offline S.S.

45GAP
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2004, 10:31:47 AM »
As I understand it, Glock Simply wanted a .45 caliber
pistol with a shorter grip. They were not trying to improve
on the .45 ACP.  Also, there are some European countries
that do not allow civilians to own weapons in military
chamberings. This cartridge would bypass that law.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".