Author Topic: Ramrod  (Read 802 times)

Offline smokepole06

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Ramrod
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »
Anybody ever tried one of these for the Huntsman / Sidekick?

http://www.rossiusa.com/accessories-ram.cfm

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ramrod
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:12:49 AM »
For about the same money I would go with the Hubbard Outdoors rod. It is specifically made for the Huntsman/Sidekick and can be had for either barrel length. It also extends two inches longer than the stock Huntsman rod which is a big advantage as well as having the concave loading end for pointed bullets and the correct threads for accessories which the stock rod does not have. It is also naval brass and aluminum construction and stronger than he##!.

Offline hunting1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
Do you have a number or link for the Hubbard? I tried one of the old ones and it did not work. Thanks ;)
Good shoot'n

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »
check the sticky on top for hubbards replacement rod
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hunting1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
I found it after I asked, thanks!
Good shoot'n

Offline hunting1

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:43:17 AM »
So what is the big reason for replacing the stock one other than thread size being off? I use a solid rod at the range, so my factory rod would only be for a second in the field load. Thanks and sorry to hijack the original thread. ???
Good shoot'n

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »
So what is the big reason for replacing the stock one other than thread size being off? I use a solid rod at the range, so my factory rod would only be for a second in the field load. Thanks and sorry to hijack the original thread. ???

Read my post above: It is two inches longer when extended which is a big advantage and it fits taper pointed bullets. The fact that it is ten times stronger is just a plus. The only way to use the stock rod in the field is to leave it collapsed for seating the bullet the length of the rod then extend it and finish the job. With the Hubbard rod it is strong enough to use in the extended length which makes the second bullet a lot faster and if you need a second shot faster is important. Some elk do not fall down on the first shot and I hate finding them at the bottom of a canyon.

Offline hunting1

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
Thanks and I have a bullet starter for that task. I am from NM and lived in AZ for 11-years so I hear you on the elk ;)
Good shoot'n

Offline smokepole06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
I have a Hubbard Rod. On my invoice he plainly stated NOT to start bullet with it extended and that it was not covered for breakage.

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
I have a Hubbard Rod. On my invoice he plainly stated NOT to start bullet with it extended and that it was not covered for breakage.

That must be a new thing as my invoice said nothing about that. I think you would have to really side load it to do any damage???

Offline smokepole06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
Probably so. I guess he had some returned. But i agree, does look stronger.

Offline hunting1

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 03:14:18 AM »
I ordered mine last night, but will say he is a stand up gentleman! An American who makes a good product and still works under the honor system! A rarety these days!
Good shoot'n