Author Topic: The Wildcat name has been decided upon - 223 Short! Thanks. Done.  (Read 4492 times)

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
The Wildcat name has been decided upon - 223 Short! Thanks. Done.
« on: September 21, 2009, 06:20:17 AM »
Folks:

Some of us GBO folks are working on developing a 223 Remington Short, see the attached drawing.

Considered opinion is that WE DO NOT use Remington in the name.

The ultimate goal is to also have .172, .204 and .243 versions, all using a 223 Rem Short parent.

So I need a name that fits the cartridge.

This is where you come in.

I need suggestions for the name BEFORE I can run a poll to get as close as possible to the best cartridge name.

There are some obvious ones like 223 Short, 223 Express, 223 Midget, 223 GBO, you get the idea.

I don't want to run an unofficial poll in this thread, so if you see your name already submitted, don't add an entry like, "Yes, what Larry said." Just think up another name and submit it.

So let's see how it goes.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I need your suggestions for a name for my wildcat, then I will run a poll
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:53:06 AM »
That round would be just about the same as a .221 Fireball. Make it a few thousands longer and just form fireball case.

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »
Catfish: The Fireball is on my personal short list for rechambering a 22 Hornet but it didn't meet my goals.

The case length is .400" shorter than the 221 Fireball.

One of the design goals was to use about 1cc of powder, which is 25% more than a 22 Hornet and 33% less than the Fireball - 500+/- rounds per pound of powder.

We are ultimately trying to fill a gap in performance between the Hornet and Fireball, using a modern and popular parent case design.

Thx.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
I've always filled that gap just fine with the 218 Bee and 22 Rem Jet.  ;)   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
how about the .233 superlight

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
How about the .223 Lewis.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

Ladobe: A design criteria was "using a modern and popular parent case design". I am going to do my own Bee and Jet down the road, just for nostalgia and help keep them alive.

One of the design goals was the wildcat has to be easy for everyone to make themselves with their existing equipment or with only a modest extra cost for non-custom dies, all from cheap and plentiful brass.

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
How about the .223 Lewis.

Was this the ego vote?

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »
how about the .233 superlight

Did you mean .223 Superlight?

Offline Skunk

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Well, you're designing it. Why shouldn't you get the credit in the name?
Mike

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
Well, you're designing it. Why shouldn't you get the credit in the name?

Skunk: Historically, using the designer's name is really par for the course when it comes to wildcats. If that is what a poll determines, then I will go with it.

What I think may be out there floating around in the wildcat ether is a name that really captures what I tried to design.

There is a 22 Reed Express, which uses a Tokarov 7.62x25 cartridge and necks it down to .224. Reed is the designers name and I sort of like Express, even though in the past I think "Express" has been associated with large caliber cartridges.

Thanks for weighing in, this is one fun thing!

Offline Skunk

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
It is fun and I can feel your excitement in designing your new wildcat. I wish you the best of luck and success. 
Mike

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Maybe combine 2 of the above suggestions to get the .223 Lewis Lite  (.223 LL)

Then when you add other calibers, you just add Lewis Lite or LL the end, similar to Ackley Improved (AI)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
Maybe combine 2 of the above suggestions to get the .223 Lewis Lite  (.223 LL)

Then when you add other calibers, you just add Lewis Lite or LL the end, similar to Ackley Improved (AI)

TribReady: That was so obvious I overlooked it. I would like to have some flexibility, because if it is popular, other calibers would be interesting to explore.

Keep them coming...

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »
  Brian,  Heres a couple off the top of my head   :-\

22 X 1.00
5.6 X 26
22 SC    short cat ?
223 BF   Brians first ?

Kinda silly but who knows, maybe it will give you a idea.    Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 02:24:26 AM »
I have done a few wild cats and the biggest problem is naming the new round. Most people only do 1-2 and just name them ther last name. Iv'e done over a dozen so coming up with a name is tough.

You have masterbaters in fishing.

IN SHOOTING YOU HAVE ME THE WACKMASTER!

SO WHY NOT CALL THEM THE 223 ANGRY INCH - THE 243 ANGRY INCH

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 02:42:11 AM »
Never have figured out why a person who wants to name something (anything) wants someone else to come up with a name for them. Personally I've never been much on naming things like my guns for instance so the problem of deciding such names just isn't an issue I tend to face. But then there are lots of things out there in the world today I fail to understand. I think as I get older perhaps I understand less about our modern world each day.  ::)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 04:54:20 AM »
Never have figured out why a person who wants to name something (anything) wants someone else to come up with a name for them. Personally I've never been much on naming things like my guns for instance so the problem of deciding such names just isn't an issue I tend to face. But then there are lots of things out there in the world today I fail to understand. I think as I get older perhaps I understand less about our modern world each day.  ::)

And I really don't give a Rats @$%, But don't let us old farts stop a guy from haveing fun.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline briannmilewis

Re: I need your suggestions for a name for my wildcat
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
Folks - I am grateful for your suggestions and the effort that went into them. What all your suggestions did was get my mind in overdrive thinking about a name.

So I have decided to call it the 223 Graybeard................................................................................just kidding! While someone worthy of the honor, it doesn't quite have that ring to it I was looking for.

I have come up with the 223 Stryker, and here is what is behind it...

I wanted a name that is catchy and has a good ring to it, that cannot be confused with any other cartridge name (there is an obscure 30 Streaker), and if possible, look far beyond the self-effacing last name of the creator team, and honor someone.

The U.S. military has already used the name Stryker for a combat vehicle. The vehicle is named for two American servicemen who posthumously received the Medal of Honor: Pfc Stuart S. Stryker, who died in World War II and Spc4 Robert F. Stryker, who died in the Vietnam War. I thought it could not hurt if their names were honored with a wildcat too.

Also Stryker has a great homonym.

In soccer, a Striker, is a player who plays nearest to the opposing team's goal, and is principally responsible for scoring goals.
In the world of shooting, we “score goals” when we consistently take our game, pests and varmints, and when we make high scores while target shooting.

Now it is a bit of a poll, what do you think?

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: I need your suggestions for a name for my wildcat - now it's sort of a poll
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
Stryker is as fine name for your cat! Great choice and thanks for honoring two great men .
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
It's your baby so if the name makes you happy that's all that matters.

If you honestly believe you're gonna make it a commercial venture and have it catch on then you are just one more of a million other wildcatters with such dreams that failed to come to fruition.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 01:58:12 AM »
there is nothing new worth comming up with wilcat wise unless you neck down a 2 bore to a .22 and you can call it a 2222 2much

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:05 AM »
there is nothing new worth comming up with wilcat wise unless you neck down a 2 bore to a .22 and you can call it a 2222 2much

The only measure of success for me will be a good implementation of the round, and folks being able to make their own ammo with minimal investment, staying clear of forming dies and all the other expensive stuff that typically goes along with a wildcat.

The idea for the round came about by me being on the lack of cash end of the shooting game. The round is not designed to out shoot any of the barn burners, but the goal is to do a good job, using as little powder as possible, and being able to make the brass for it really cheap. I don't think these are the typical design goals for wildcats.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 06:24:21 AM »

Ladobe: A design criteria was "using a modern and popular parent case design". I am going to do my own Bee and Jet down the road, just for nostalgia and help keep them alive.

One of the design goals was the wildcat has to be easy for everyone to make themselves with their existing equipment or with only a modest extra cost for non-custom dies, all from cheap and plentiful brass.

Point was, new cartridges are usually designed to fill a niche that is not filled.   This one is filled by several cartridges, both commercial and wildcat.   Brass is readily available as are dies for all of them.   So you are trying to reinvent a wheel that doesn’t need reinventing.   The hordes nowdays just seem to want to tack a name on a proprietary cartridge.     ::)

As GB said, the commercial end is not anything you'll need to worry about.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »

Point was, new cartridges are usually designed to fill a niche that is not filled.   This one is filled by several cartridges, both commercial and wildcat.   Brass is readily available as are dies for all of them.   So you are trying to reinvent a wheel that doesn’t need reinventing.   The hordes nowadays just seem to want to tack a name on a proprietary cartridge.     ::)

As GB said, the commercial end is not anything you'll need to worry about.

Commercial is not one of the design criteria. I want people to be able to make their own cases with little or no further investment and really cheap parent brass.

The overriding idea is to fill a niche that may be filled by others, but do it dirt cheap, both to setup and feed over tiem, to get a 200 yard coyote gun, as I don't think a lot of shooters want to pay $65+ for one or more forming dies, then new FL Sizers etc., when their exisiting equipment will do the job just fine.

There is a big difference between "available" and "cheap" or no additional reloading hardware required. Same is for brass, 218 Bee and 22 Rem Jet brass may be "available" but it is not $9-$20 per 100.

If there is one or more commercial and wildcat cartridges that adhere to all three requirements - 1cc powder, modern and very cheap parent brass, and little or no extra investment in dies for anyone who reloads for the parent, I must have missed them in my research. Please share.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
223 Wasp? Then 204 Wasp, 257 Wasp.......
It is just a little hotter than the Hornet.   ;D

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
the .223 Lewis Lite is the best name for the round i have heard so far.

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Wid cating has nothing to do with making money, Hell most of the time it doesn't fill a nitch! WE DO WILDCATS BECOUSE WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
Wid cating has nothing to do with making money, Hell most of the time it doesn't fill a nitch! WE DO WILDCATS BECOUSE WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup iffen yer doing it for some other reason chances are ya just really don't understand what's out there already.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
My question is are you trying to make it short so it will fit in a certain action.
And if so why?  most 22 Mag actions are not strong enough for what you want to do and anything that will fit a Hornet will fit a 221.
What will it do that 221 loaded slower will not be able to do?