Author Topic: Navy Arms 1858 Remington. Made By ???  (Read 3094 times)

Offline RhinoDave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Built for comfort....not speed
Navy Arms 1858 Remington. Made By ???
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Hello all. New old guy here looking for some help identifying my latest aquisition. I'm just getting back into BP shooting after a looonnnng time away and purchased a older model Navy arms 44 cal New Army revolver. It is a Navy Arms from at least twenty years ago. It has no mfg markings I can find. Left side is labeled, "black powder only 44 cal." Right side is labeled "made in italy". Top is labeled "Navy Arms Ridgefield nj." Bottom side has a six digit number "1001XX". Any clues as to if it is a Uberti or not would be appreciated. The gun is tight and according to the orginal owner, was only fired about twenty times. The finish is not great with machining marks visible on the barrel and the brass trigger guard is not polished. The frame is not finished smooth and has a flat or matte finish. I've sent an e-mail to Navy Arms requesting information but hopefully, someone here knows a little bit more. Thanks. Dave

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Navy Arms 1858 Remington. Made By ???
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Hi Dave:  I'm not an authority on those, but someone should have the correct answer.  I've ran across that subject once before, and from what I recall is that those were once made by a company that has gone out of business.   There are a few guys on here that really know their black powder guns as well as some on THR's forum.

Good Luck
4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline RhinoDave

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »
Well I got the following response back from Navy Arms:

Unfortunately we cannot provide you with any information via the serial number as the gun was sold by the original NJ office of Navy Arms.  Their old log books are with the BATFE.

However, please look for the following markings to identify the manufacturer:

U inside of an octagon - Uberti
<fap> - Pietta
Palm Tree - Palmetto Arms
ASM - Armi San Marco

Unfortunately, the gun has none of these marks. I dismantled it completely and the number 238 is stamped on the bottom of the barrel under the cylinder pin and on the side of the frame under the grip. The grips have the same number written in pencil on the backs and the number 170 is stamped on the back of the cylinder. I haven't found any other marks. I am hoping someone has some informatiion or at least an idea where else to ask or look. Thanks again for any help.

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »
I have a Navy Arms 1858 that was purchased as a kit in 1978. On the bottom of the barrel is a very faint FAP cartouche (pietta). Other than Navy arms and made in Italy there are no other words stampped on it. I hope this is of some help.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Flint

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »
I believe all the Navy Arms Remingtons were Pietta, but if it's 20 years old that might not be the case.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline RhinoDave

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
Thank you all for the responses, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:50:57 AM »
Odds are it's a Pietta, I have three Navy Arms 58's and all are Pietta.  If you can put a dial caliper on the cylinder and tell me the length that can rule out some manufacturers.

Offline RhinoDave

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »
cylinder length is 2.02" Thanks for helping

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »
All five of my Pietta cylinders are 2.015.  I know they are .010 different from Uberti but can't recall if longer or shorter.

Offline arcticap

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
From another post:

Pietta is 2.016" from rear to front. Uberti is 2.000". Euroarms/ASP are 2.006" Long.