Author Topic: finally found supplies  (Read 848 times)

Offline lil_hunter12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
finally found supplies
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »
i finally found primers powder and bullets today when i was in a sporting goods store in allen KY having my new/used marlin model 60 boresighted they would only sell primers by the 100 for 4.99 all their powders were 30 a pound so i got IMR 4064, winchester large rifle primers, and hornady sst interlock 150 grain boattail bullets. will try to load some up to try in the next couple days.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: finally found supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
I glad you found what you need, BUT MAN those prices compared to just a short time ago!!!!  I still have primers with stickers in the mid 20's!!! This was NOT that long ago!!!

I took a trip to Cabela's last nite, while the shelves where filled with holes, there was supplies there, if you could afford the prices!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:46:35 PM »
I glad you found what you need, BUT MAN those prices compared to just a short time ago!!!!  I still have primers with stickers in the mid 20's!!! This was NOT that long ago!!!

I still have powder from when the price was a bit less than $13 a pound.

Powder Valley, when I looked a couple of days ago had Wolf primers.  Powders are also coming back on the shelves.  I recently saw one or two 8 lb. jugs of H110 on the shelf in a local sporting goods store for about the same price as in the pre-Obama era.  I think availability and price will get even better.

There is also good news on the assault rifle horizon.  You can now buy an AR-15 clone for about the same price as pre-Obama.  My prediction is that at some point all those who bought bunches of them before or shortly after the election will want to sell them and prices at least for a time may be better than before the election.

My advice; remember those who gouged you and try to do business elsewhere in the future.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
so i tried to load up a few tonight i got 5 correct out of 6 tries but after that my depriming tool broke so i couldnt load anymore the load is 41 grains of imr 4064 and a hornady sst 150 grain boattail bullet ill find out if those 5 shoot well tommorrow maybe. that 6th shell i hit the bullet seating tool to hard and it crimped the case down about 1/16th of an inch and knocked the bulllet way to deep so i have to find a way to dispose of it somehow.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
can anyone give me any ideas about how to repair my depriming tool since i cant seem to find a hand deprimer anywhere? i tried to weld it back together but it never held. any ideas?

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1254185565.1650=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html
  These work quite well! A smaller caliber can be used to deprime a larger one also (.243 to .308 etc). They are also sold at Midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lee%20loader____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
i made a new depriming tool with a 16 penny nail and a bench grinder. it works better than the other one did anyway. also it is of no use to me to buy another of these kits since i only have a .308 and a sks i usually dont try or cant recover the cases and also cant find any brass around here for the sks and ammo is pretty inexpensive at 6.99 a box for wolf hollow points. im not gonna load for it. if anyone has any specific loads that they use for the .308 with 150 grain bullets and imr 4064 powder i would love to hear them so i can try them. thanks for the help

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
i have already surprised myself with the accuracy im getting i loaded 4 each of 37.6 grains 40.3 grains 41.6 grains and 43.0 grains. they all go under 2 inches at 100 yards off a good rest but the 37.6 grain loads are by far the most accurate cutting the groups by over 1/2 inch to around 1 1/8 at 100. probably could be more accurate if i was. but also the load that is listed to shoot around 2300 fps shoots flatter than any factory load i have tried. we were toying with the battle sights after i loaded a batch of 20 37.6 grain loads at ranges up to and over 850 yards. accurately. also i was using 150 grain hornady sst interlock bullets. has anyone used these on deer? if so how do they perform? thanks for any info you guys can give me on these bullets.

Offline mrcooper

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »
Powder seem to be coming back, about 3 months ago I got gouged by one of our local dealers, I WILL NEVER SHOP THEIR AGAIN.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 04:50:55 AM »
i havent had trouble finding powder my troubles have been bullets and primers

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:19:11 AM »
Primers are coming back. Surprisingly I can get 8 lbs of IMR for 135 plus tax. Bullets are really high and noone wants to sell bulk.