Author Topic: binocular experience  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Browning guy

• Trade Count: (0)
binocular experience
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
A friend of mine recently asked me about a binocular company called vanguard. They are supposedly a company that is in business primarily in Europe and moving to th U.S. They make binos and spotting scopes. I hadn't heard of them has any one else had any experience with them.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: binocular experience
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
Don't know about them.
The only advice I can give is buy the best glass you can afford to replace.
I think I spent under $200 for my Binos.
A friend spend about $900 for his.
We were elk hunting and I fell off the horse.  landed inbetween a few rocks and not big deal.
Not the first time I have fallen off a horse and will not be the last.
But it freaked him out.  Before this he had his Binos around his neck.  After they were in the saddle bag and later stayed in camp.
He was afraid he was going to break them and did not have the $900 to get another pair.
While I can not shell out $200 every week for a new pair... I can if I have to to replace the ones I have, and a $200 pair around my neck is a lot better than the $900 pair back at camp.
OH and his $900 ones are a little clearer and some righter.  But I don't think 4X as clear and bright.

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »
Do a check on the inernet. I think they are not getting very favorable reviews. With the price/quality of some of the stuff coming out now, I would probably go to some place like Eagle Optics and order a pair of their Atlasline, or stick with a sponser like Zen Ray and order from them. I have the mid range Zen ZRS (about $170), and it is a very nice binocular.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:23:08 AM »
The best place to get binos IMHO is a bird watching place. Be it a reserve of shop as they are fanatical about them  ;) they also often hold comparision try days where you can try out different types brands and compare them. I did this here in the UK at Pulborugh Brooks a RSPB reserve and brought a set of Viking 8x44 roof prism water proof bibos. No I had not heard of the make but the RSPB was stocking them in their shop and gave them good reviews. Whilst they were not the cheapest at £239 they were by far not the most expensive and I have been happy with them for the 10 or so years now that I have owned and used them. Sure a set of Zeiss Bgats do let you see for a few more minutes at last light and if I could afford them would probably have a set  8).

The try day at Pulborugh let you wander the reserve with a set ans try them in the different places and from the viewing deck. No glass to look through and watching actual birds gave a good comparision as to light transfer and colours and comfort of use. It was even a pleasent day out  ;D.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:56:45 AM »
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 03:58:26 AM »

While I can not shell out $200 every week for a new pair... I can if I have to to replace the ones I have, and a $200 pair around my neck is a lot better than the $900 pair back at camp.
OH and his $900 ones are a little clearer and some righter.  But I don't think 4X as clear and bright.

You would not have to shell out $ for a new pair every week. The $200 binos will be decent to begin with (if you choose and buy carefuly), but the $900 one will last a lifetime.
Besides:
1. it is very likely that the $900 model would not break should you fall of a horse
2. It is very likely that the company would repair or replace the $900 model should they break
3. If you cannot see the difference between the $200 and $900 glass don't waste your money. OH and your $200 model is a little clearer and some brighter than my $50 model.  But I don't think 4X as clear and bright. So, i don't understand why you spent so much.
The person who left their good optic behind on an elk hunt made a poor decission.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »
  What i've noticed from my own experience and from hunting with others is, cheapo bino's are just like cheapo scopes.  When they work, they are fairly decent, but i've seen all too many times on an extended hunts, they would fail or become inadequate.  Then where can you exchange them out in the bush?

I'd say the number one failure of cheapo bino's that i've seen, is fogging internally.  Second is giving headaches because the barrels aren't in perfect alinment.

So, i just saved until i could buy a good proven set of bino's, and they have been, and will be a life time investment for me.  I just gave up that extra gun i would have bought with that money, and i can live without another gun.

DM

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:20:06 AM »
Anweis,
Point taken.
Again my point was I spent as much as I can afford to replace.
Trust me I really want to have a pair of the 1,600.00+ Binos that my friend reps.  Even with buying them at wholesale.  I could not afford to replace them or in some cases pay a percentage to have them repaired if broken or knocked out of allignment.
I have had the $50 pair or two to keep in the truck and they just from being in the truck have gone cross eyed.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »

I have had the $50 pair or two to keep in the truck and they just from being in the truck have gone cross eyed.
Yes, the truck is not the place to keep binoculars; temperature changes and vibrations and bouncing will kill them - unless they are designed for military. 
I use a Leupold Yosemite 6x30 sometimes; very sharp and bright for less than $100. I don't leave them in the vehicle.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 05:56:42 AM »
Anweis,
Point taken.
Again my point was I spent as much as I can afford to replace.
Trust me I really want to have a pair of the 1,600.00+ Binos that my friend reps.  Even with buying them at wholesale.  I could not afford to replace them or in some cases pay a percentage to have them repaired if broken or knocked out of allignment.

My bino's cost me LESS than half of that, and i'll never have to pay for a repair, as they have a life time warr, that includes staying waterproof, fog proof and about everything else.  They have proven to take everything i've thrown at them, from being dropped, fell on, lost for days in the bush, to weeks at a time of freezeing and thawing temps., even sitting in the sun in a truck...  Well worth what i paid for them!

DM

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »

Yes, the truck is not the place to keep binoculars; temperature changes and vibrations and bouncing will kill them - unless they are designed for military. 
I use a Leupold Yosemite 6x30 sometimes; very sharp and bright for less than $100. I don't leave them in the vehicle.

Get some decent quality binos I have a set of German 8x30's in their leather case in the glovebox of the Jeep. I cannot recall off hand the make but they are about 50+ years old. they still work fine  ;D

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:46 AM »

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:48:18 AM »
 ;D :D yep I picked them up off e-bay for about $60USD  :) Now they are small at only 5 3/4" wide opened and 3 3/4" high. Yes I just went to the Jeep and got them out. They say Keiner WETZLAR on the left side and 8x30 PETICOR on the right. Wetzlar of course is where Zeiss and Hensodlt are based or so I believe.

Good optics need not always cost the earth  ;)

I have 6 pairs of binos  :D collected over the years just becasue they interest me  ;) like the equally small pair of 8x25's retailed by an opticans chain :-

G. C. Bateman       They are the "DEAUVILLE" model and although the country of manufacture is not marked I suspect their French. This pair came for a junk shop, house clearence etc and I gave about $25 USD for them and used them for a year or so Roe (Deer) stalking.

I also brought a pair of larger sized 8x30's retailed and marked to another Optician chain Dolland & Aitchison (Estb 1750) and another pair simply marker Regent 8x30.

We won't go into telescopes now  ;) but I do have a couple of those and two spotting scopes  ;D

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
  My brother was at a flea market and saw a small pair of bino's sitting on a table.  He picked them up, and the guy behind the table said "those are some kid bino's".  My brother saw they has "Zeiss" on them, and had heard me talk about Zeiss, so he asked the price.  The guy said "how about three dollars?"  lol

Yes he bought them...  lol

DM

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
I do hope you went and educated the seller  ;) I love to see their crestfallen faces when they realise the lost out on a few bucks  :D.  You should have seen the dealers face who sold me my Rigby Mannlicher. He was so keen to sell what he saw as an unpopular rifle he hadn't noticed the Rigby name on the barrel  ;D by the time I showed him it the price had been agreed and money changed hands. I paid a lot less for that rifle than a dealer futher up the hall wanted for a rather tatty unnamed rifle. It just had the Steyr name on the action.