Author Topic: Historic mortar at St. Augustine also has strange, unknown mark  (Read 679 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Historic mortar at St. Augustine also has strange, unknown mark
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
Here's another Spanish mortar with a strange, unknown mark on it, something which looks like an "AP" monogram.  This is a 9-inch mortar with a provenance about as well-known as that of any weapon in the world.  This was one of two original bronze mortars which was in the Spanish fort, Castillo de San Marcos, at St. Augustine, FL.  Extensive documnentation in the Library of Congress shows they were there from at least the beginning of the second Spanish occupation (1784?) through 1860.  In 1861, the Confederates moved the two mortars to Fernandina, FL. when they evacuated St. Augustine.  Shortly, Rear Admiral Dupont's ships and other forces took Fernandina back for the Union.  The mortars were taken to the Washington Navy Yard where they were displayed outside the Ordnance Museum.  In 1959 they were declared surplus and sold to a local scrap dealer.  The 9-inch mortar (shown here) was bought by an antique dealer in Maryland, and exchanged (ca. 1960) with the National Park Service, for a 6-pounder bronze gun, M1841.  It has been on display in the Castillo ever since.  The other mortar, 6-inch caliber, is in a private collection.  The two mortars have identical capture inscriptions.

What is the meaning of the engraved "AP?" monogram near the vent?

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums46/?action=view&current=0bbf6a08.pbw

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Historic mortar at St. Augustine also has strange, unknown mark
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
 Is it an A P or is it some sort of gunners quadrant.  Or maybe dividers and protractor? or dividers, angle, and proctractor?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
Is it an A P or is it some sort of gunners quadrant.  Or maybe dividers and protractor? or dividers, angle, and proctractor?

Dunno.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
May sound stupid, but maybe spanish masonic symbol? Angle and square?. Frank

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
May sound stupid, but maybe spanish masonic symbol? Angle and square?. Frank

I was thinking the same thing without the 1/2 circle on it - it would be a common Masonic symbol......

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »
Here's an interesting article on Spanish "sigla" that a friend just brought to my attention:

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/atocha.htm

Offline b. snipes

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
Looks like the Mosonic symbol to me. beech