Author Topic: Anyone have experience with newer Charter Arms revolvers?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Anyone have experience with newer Charter Arms revolvers?
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:12:59 AM »
CA has gone threw several incarnations over the years.  The original company founded back in the early 60's put out a decent product.  Then in the late 80's they had some financial problems (like just about all of the gun makers) and reformed as Charco and then later Charter 2000.  I believe it was during this period that QC suffered some short comings and their reputation took a big hit.  In 2007 one of the early partners who had left just prior to the Charco/Charter 2000 time period had bought the company back, brought back the original Charter Arms name and to my understand had turned the company around and they are once again producing a very serviceable product.   

Regarding their latest revolvers; I know aesthetically the fit and finish is below that of S&W, Ruger and maybe Taurus but I think that the strength and reliability is at least on a par with Taurus and possibly even that of S&W.  And Ruger, well we all know you can drive 10 penny nails with a Ruger then take it out and shoot hot loads threw it all day until you can't stand it any more.

Okay enough history,  I'll finally get to the point of this post.  Anyone here have first hand experience with Charter Arms revolvers made in the past couple of years.  I'm very interested to hear from you because I have the opportunity to purchase a 3 month old, shot very little, SS, hammerless Off Duty snub nose from an acquaintance for around $250.  I'm thinking it would make a good purse gun for my wife (yes, she has a CCW).   Sure, I would much rather go with a S&W or one of the new Ruger LCR's but my current finances won't permit it.   Just try to find a Hammerless Ruger or Smith snuby for any where near $300, I've been searching for months.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Anyone have experience with newer Charter Arms revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:25:28 AM »
A while back I bought myself a .44 special Bulldog pug, stainless with the Crimson Trace grips.  Finish inside the cylinders is a bit rough, and the barrel was put on just slightly canted, and makes the iron sights pretty far off much past 10 yards. 

That said, with the CT grips the gun is stunningly accurate for a carry gun.  When the light is dim enough to see the laser, (pretty much anytime it isn't mid-day and blue skies) I can put holes in soda cans at 25 yards with boring regularity.

Reliability has been flawless, I trust it enough to carry it.  To sum it up I'd say it was a not a pretty gun, but serviceable. 

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:47:59 AM »
Reliability has been flawless, I trust it enough to carry it.  To sum it up I'd say it was a not a pretty gun, but serviceable. 

Thanks Kev',  That's what I was hoping to hear.  They are made in the USA and do have a lifetime warranty which are two more pluses in their favor.   

Anyone else with first hand experience please chime in.

Offline spruce

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
Bought a Mag Pug (.357) about 6 months ago.  Fit and finish isn't up to a S&W, but I don't look at it much when it's in my pocket so for about half the money I can put up with that.

So far it's been 100% reliable even when it gets warm after running several cylinders of .357 mag thru it.

Only have two complaints, both minor:  1. The sights were a little off (shot low and left), but with a little file work was able to bring to point of aim.  2.  The design of the ejector rod makes for a short stroke when ejecting empties - you have to get used to really eject the empites SMARTLY to make them all fall free.

Mine is the blue model and came with rubber grips which seem just about the right size for decent shooting comfort and concealment.

Overall, I'd say it's a good way to save quite a bit of money without sacrificing too much quality.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »
I emailed the company with a question and was answered by the CEO. He talked about the hard times when the company was ownedby non shooting bean counters, but he and the present company are trying to put out the best quality product they can. I don't one yet, but I'd have no problem carrying one.

(Make mine a .44 Special Bulldog!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
I spoke directly with the owner of Charter Arms, last Summer (2008) - when he answered the phone !

Since he told me to ask for him, if/when I called again -- I had another couple of conversations with him about the progress on some warranty work that was being done on one of my revolvers.

The bottom line was that he said that he was occasionally embarassed, when one of his departments temporarily drop the ball, but that he's striving to provide the very best products and aftermarket service for those products that he possibly can.

In point of fact, he personally directed that my problematic single-cylinder Pathfinder revolver be entirely replaced with what turned out to be the prototype for what's now cataloged as the CA dual-cylinder Target Pathfinder - and the replacement revolver even had a "special" serial number, one that gun companies usually reserve for presentation guns ( digits followed only by a bunch of zeroes).

I've had zero issues with the replacement revolver, in the year that I've had it.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:42:54 AM »
Sounds very promising.  I took my chances and picked up the CA Undercover.   I had been searching high and low for months for a hammerless or bobbed hammered 2" .38spl for my honey that would not break the bank. Snubbies of any kind have been rarer than hen's teeth around these parts this year and if you find one you would think it was solid gold for what they want for them.   

I have cleaned and inspected the CH but have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet.  It's a stainless model and although it's fit and finish is not up to the standards of Smith or Ruger it's not too shabby looking and seems to be pretty robust.  I hope to get a chance to give it a good wringing out with several loads very soon.  If it proves dependable and reasonably accurate I will get an inside the pocket holster (also work well in purses) for it it will be a nice stocking stuffer for my wife's Christmas stocking.     

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:01 AM »
The Charter Arms snubbies have always had a good reputation for reliability, thats why they are still around.  I used to own a Pathfinder model, .22, 4 inch, adj. sights.  Nice little woods pocket gun.  Not as accurate as my Smith K-22's, but just as reliable, and a lot cheaper to buy.  Ended up giving it to a friend who couldn't live without it...lol

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....