Author Topic: H&R Topper model 48  (Read 2081 times)

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
H&R Topper model 48
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
Have a 20 ga. Topper Model 48 and need to know if it is chambered to shoot 3 inch shells or not. How can I tell? Is there a simple way to measure the chamber or were these guns never chambered for 3 inch?

Offline Walley

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: H&R Topper model 48
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »
Call Harrington & Richardson customer support at  (866) 776-9292 and they will be glad to help.  If you gun has a serial number they will have no trouble telling you everything you need to know about it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Call Harrington & Richardson customer support at  (866) 776-9292 and they will be glad to help.  If you gun has a serial number they will have no trouble telling you everything you need to know about it.

That's not true, they don't have any information about H&R firearms made before 1987, the M48 was made by Harrington & Richardson Inc which went out of business in 1986.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Walley

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »
Tim

I stand corrected about the serial numbers but I do know that I have asked them questions about pre 1986 guns on more than one occasion and they have always been able to answer them. 

Offline rak55

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
if it's not marked for 3" then it's not chambered for 3"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
I wouldn't rely on anything they tell you concerning obsolete H&R firearms, they can't even answer questions accurately on firearms they make now!  ::)  Do a little research here and you'll see what I mean, schoolmaster will get better info from members here that actually own them.  ;)

Tim

Offline Walley

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
Tim

I have owned and hunted with H&R single shot shotguns for going on 60 years and currently own nine; five of which are pre 1986 and have never had a problem with them solving the problems I have had.  Sometimes I don’t like what they come up with but the gunsmiths that I ended taking the guns to pretty much said that they were right.  I admit that on a few occasions I asked to talk to another representative because the one I was originally speaking with didn’t seem to know what they were talking about.  That happens with most all customer service originations one ends up talking with.  Some are good and others stink. I am not trying to pick an argument or put you down but that is how things are with me.  I like to speak with professionals whenever possible.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
That was true when H&R was in Gardner MA, but that's no longer the case, H&R CS is in Madison NC ran by Remington, their factory is in Ilion NY, things went to pot when H&R Gardner closed a little over a year ago, read the Remiington consolidation info on H&R's website and in the sticky above.  :-\

Tim

Offline schoolmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
This is I believe an older gun it doesn't say anything on the barrel but "made in usa 20 ga. choke" It has a 30 inch barrel and shoots like it is full choke. the receiver is silver color maybe nickeled and the trigger guard is plum colored, it has been reblued. It belonged to a young man who got it from his grandfather, had it reblued and never picked it up from the shop. I had the gun restocked because there was no wood with it when I bought it. It does have a serial number on the receiver. The number is J 51xxx. I believe it is a 2 and 3/4 inch chamber but just want to be sure. I have several boxes of 3 inch lead loads I would like to shoot but don't want to mess up a good gun. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »
It's definitely an older gun, the single letter prefix J denotes a build year of 1949, the FAQs and Help sticky in the H&R Centerfire Rifle forum has a build year list by serial number.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.msg503417.html#msg503417

Offline Walley

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
If H&R customer service can’t answer your question I am sure a competent gunsmith can.  Over the years I have seen quite a few good guns screwed up by people taking advise from self proclaimed experts.  You have a good gun so be careful and don’t make a mistake with it.

Offline schoolmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
I will just shoot it with the 2 and 3/4 inch shells. It is a squirrel killing machine.

Offline Walley

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
I called my gunsmith with your question and he said never use 3-inch shells in any gun that is not marked to use them.  He also said that he is quite sure that your gun is chambered for 2 ¾ shells and it would only take a few minutes for him to check it. Good luck, you have something to pass down to your grandchildren.