Author Topic: Hornady Bullets 44 Caliber  (Read 483 times)

Offline warf73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hornady Bullets 44 Caliber
« on: October 07, 2003, 08:30:05 PM »
I just bought me a 44 Mag. Yesterday (well last week just came in) and I bought some of the Hornady Bullets 44 Caliber (430 Diameter) 240 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point. To see if the pistol would go BANG!  I have gotten into casting thanks to the guys from Shooter's Forum before it went DOA.

My question is does anybody make a mold like the Hornady Bullet? I like the bullet it shoots well and no faster than I'm pushing the bullet I didn't get leading in the barrel yet. I bought the pistol to shoot cast bullet. I really like the Mica powder or what ever that is they use for lube.
Is there another type of bullet I could use that kind of lube, (the powder) it would makes it allot faster than dipping like I do know.

Just thoughts before I go ordering 44 molds.

Thanks in advance. Warf73
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 04:55:35 AM »
warf73 - I'm not exactly sure what your question is.  I think that every mould maker makes a 240 gr SWC  flat nose, and a few make it in a HP version.  But most of these come with a wide lube groove that we lube in the "normal" way.

If you're looking for a SWC that you don't have to lube by dipping, or in a lubrisizer, check out the Lee moulds.  I can't remember exactly what they have, but their "tumble-lube" design might be what you're after.  

These bullets have 5 or so thin, shallow lube grooves, which are designed to be used with Lee's "tumble lube".   You put a bunch of unlubed bullets in a small container, squirt in some Lee tumble lube (it's a dark brown liquid), and then gently move or shake the container around until the lube is well-distributed over the bulets.   Let them dry, and load them.

I don't know anything about powder-type lubes.

Offline Johm D M

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 02:33:29 PM »
The Hornaday is a soft swedged bullet with a liquid waxy lube followed by a mica powder. My best results with over 6 different molds in the 44's for allaround shooting is the LY 429421. RCBS 44 K 250 is reported to be a good one and they make great molds. Either can be cast as soft or hard as your needs are. Gianni.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 04:57:09 AM »
There are those who dust Liquid Alox lubed bullets with Motor Mica. I'm a little dubious since powdered mica is a mild abrasive as well as a lubricant.

A very good alternative to LA is Rooster Jacket if you are shooting pistol bullets at moderate velocity. Under 1000 fps, it works well and is not messy as LA is.

You can use either with conventual cast bullets as well as the Lee TL bullets.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.