Author Topic: Extended/ported barrels  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Extended/ported barrels
« on: December 20, 2002, 04:42:33 AM »
Who out there uses extended or ported barrels in their 1911s?  I see adds for them all the time and wonder if anyone has had any experience with them in terms of their accuracy.  Also, how about the noise factor on the range with the ported barrels - anyone having or had any problems with that?  Mikey.

Offline Beetle

• Trade Count: (0)
Extended/ported barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 06:34:27 PM »
Hi Mikey - I have a V-16 Long Slide with a ported barrel.  I regularly shoot it indoors and have not noticed any problems with noise.  Haven't had any complaints from the person in the stall next to me.  Of course everyone wears hearing protection.  
The only bad thing I've heard about ported barrels is that if you shoot them in the dark,  your night vision is destroyed.
I also have an Ultra-Compact and the difference in recoil is noticeable.  I'm sure that part of that is due to the extra weight of the longslide.

Hope that answers part of your question - Beetle

Offline Beetle

Extended/ported barrels
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 05:07:47 AM »
Hi Mikey - The V-16 is made by Springfield.  It's just a model number.  The Ultra Compact I have is a V-10, also put out by Springfield.  In case you haven't guessed, I like Springers!
Could you explain a little about Cor Bon barrels?  There's a whole lot about guns out there that I know diddley-squat about.  So my ignorance is showing.

Thanks - Beetle

Offline Bob_K

• Contributor
Long Barrels
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 01:44:53 AM »
Barrel length does not drive accuracy, at least not absolute accuracy.  The quality of the barrel and the fitting are the main drivers of accuracy.  That said, follow through becomes a bit more critical in my long barrel .45 and .38 autos.  Errors in execution are just a bit more noticible.
Doubled Distinguished
NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pistol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee
NRA Endowment Member

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Extended barrels
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 04:12:12 AM »
Bob_K and Beetle:  Thanks for the responses.  Bob - I think you are absolutely right about the follow-thru and the longer barrels always did show errors more readily but that's all part of the fun of practice.

Bettle: the 400 CorBon is a 45 ACP cartridge necked down to 10mm or 40 caliber.  The CorBon folks load it hot with a 135 grain flying ashtray that they say will take whitetail at 100 yds.  They also load it with 165 grain loads if you like shooting the heavier bullets.  I developed that case concept in 1978 to shoot the 38-40s 180 grain bullet, and had a lot of fun doing it.  The CorBon cartridge can be loaded to indoor bullseye velocities or up hot enough for the 200 yd silhouette matchs.  For hunting you can consider it to be in the low end of the 41 Magnum range.  I think it is an excellect cartridge concept.  You could have fun with it.  Mikey.

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Ported
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 09:17:23 PM »
I have three ported 1911-style semi auto pistols.  A Springfield V-16, Brolin Custom Comp and an AMT .50AE

The .50AE would be brutal without its ports.  The other two do increase noise to the firing line and do enhance perceived muzzle flash.  That is why you should choose carry ammunition carefully in consideration for the flash.  I've found Remington Golden Sabre to have less flash than many others tried!
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.