Author Topic: Winchester 66  (Read 689 times)

Offline Wannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester 66
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »
What should one look for to identify a refinished 66? Should the magazine tube under the forearm be bluedor was it left bright.  What do I look for in the wood and blueing?  Thank you for your time.
  Bob

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Winchester 66
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »
Unless it is in very good condition a true 66 will show considerable signs of use.
Rounded edges on the barrel.
The brass frame will show some dullness and or discoloration.
The finish on the wood will more than likely be gone and showing wear along the edges that meet the metal.
The barrel and mag tube were blue from the factory but you will see wear near the frame from carrying.
The loading gate will also show signs of wear.
The rifleing should be somewhat dark and or pitted.
This is just a quick, generial guide.
There is much more to it when you are talking the prices these gun can bring.
One in the condition I have described can still bring severial thousand dollars.
A nice one will be over $10,000.
I know of one now for sale in about 30% condition and he still wants over $6,900.00.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:06:44 AM »
Dear Wannabe,

No disrespect to you, but here is some really good advice, from an experienced (and previously burned) antique firearms collector.

If you are interested in buying an antique rifle (particularly a very expensive one like the Winchester 66), and you find it necessary to ask even a single question about how to determine its condition, then you simply do not know enough about that type of antique firearm to be buying it, and you will get burned, cheated, every time!  If you miss or overlook or misjudge even one small factor about that firearm, then you are very likely going to pay $7,500 for rifle, that is only worth $4,000.

You must spend years studying everything out there about the Win. 66, and going to every gunshow you can, and handling and personally inspecting every one you can, for years, before you can even consider buying one, unless you just plain want to get cheated.

And, go to the bigger shows, and find an older guy who has lots of top quality Winchesters, and just start asking him collecting questions, making it clear that you are not  interested in buying  but just learning.  Most of them love to pass their knowledge along, and to give you an on the spot seminar about anything you want to know, even pulling out several rifles with different finishes, conditions, defects, etc. and showing you how to tell the small differences.

Once you have trained your eyes, by inspecting hundreds of different examples of the firearm, then believe me, you will have no problem whatsoever in spotting a re-blue or other such factor.  For some reason, the piece just looks "wrong." 

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:14:20 AM »
Very good words from Mannyrock with no disrespect.
My thoughts also but thought I would give some idea what to look for.

Like said, just a very small item can and does make a vast difference in value.

I once bought a 1873 Win in the rare 22 cal that someone had drilled two holes in the receiver for a peep sight.
The gun was in 80%+ condition with a factory letter and matched but those two holes cost over $2,000.00 to it's potential value.
Very neatly done and plugged but not factory.

I once went to an old farm/estate sale of a friend of mine who had 4 old Winchesters and one true HENRY rifle.
The Henry was in rough shape with missing/broken parts but was a true untouched Henry.
I have been in the antique collecting realm for over 34 years.
From the condition I had guessed the value somewhere in the $5,000.00 to $7,000.00 range.
When it was offered I started the bidding at $3,000.00 and continued until $7,500.00 at which time I dropped out.
That was a plenty IMO.
Three others stayed in until $10,500.00 when the next bidder also dropped out.
The two old men left, of which one of them I knew continued until my friend bid the last bid of $16,000.00.
He was a fool, but he had made his mind up that he was going to own a Henry rifle.
Doesn't mean this one was worth that kind of money but when two people want the same thing, things can happen!

Like mannyrock said, study, study, study the firearms you intend to collect and don't be afraid to get a second oppinion.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Wannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
Thanks for your help guys.  I realize that old Winchesters is an art form all of its own.  I am trying to help my Brother in Law.  He has always wanted a Henry or a 66.  He will not look at a gun unless I am with him.  I deal with used guns in my business.  I like to think I know a little about guns (along with everybody else) and I do pretty good.  I do not know old Winchesters.  They are one of those buyer beware items.  I do appreciate ya'lls comments.  Thanks
  Bob 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM »
Unless he has "Just Gotta" have a real Winchester he'd be better off with a new Uberti. It will be a lot more affordable and stronger to boot. He won't be able to feed a real Henry and likely not a real 66 either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:45:26 AM »
[he'd be better off with a new Uberti.]- +1

A "$1,000 shooter vs. a $10,000+ safe queen ? " is the question for your BIL.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !