Author Topic: New Savage 20 gauge bolt action  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New Savage 20 gauge bolt action
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
Has anyone seen the new Savage bolt action slug gun?  It's supposed to be built on their Model 110 rifle receiver and not a heavy club like former bolt action slug guns.  It's a 20 gauge and sure sounds neat for here in Ohio.

Since PA depleted their deer herd up north where I hunt, I'll be concentrating on my home state of Ohio and an accurate slug gun really sounds nice.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: New Savage 20 gauge bolt action
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
Haven't heard anything other than the press release at savage web site. Been tossing it around in my head also, but think I'll wait until next season to see if there are any bugs they need to work out and maybe see some range reports.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Woodsloafer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »

Offline 3006 deerslayer

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
Mine just came in from the dealer yesterday. Great looking and feeling gun. The gun doesn't come with bases so you'll need to pick some up while your at the gun store. Got a scope all mounted to it now I just need some time to shot it in.  8) THEN wait for the Ohio season to start.  ;D

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
Mine just came in from the dealer yesterday. Great looking and feeling gun. The gun doesn't come with bases so you'll need to pick some up while your at the gun store. Got a scope all mounted to it now I just need some time to shot it in.  8) THEN wait for the Ohio season to start.  ;D

Let us know how it shoots.  I still hope to win the one at the Leetonia Sportsman's Club's Deer Expo on Dec. 13th, but if I have my usual luck I might have to buy one.

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »

Let us know how it shoots.  I still hope to win the one at the Leetonia Sportsman's Club's Deer Expo on Dec. 13th, but if I have my usual luck I might have to buy one.
That I will do. Got mine right from the dealer shipping and tax included for $450. I didn't feel that was to bad. Good luck on winning one.

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:39 AM »
I handled one at Dick's  and it was very light in the hand and pointed great.  I would have walked out with it if they would have had a black one and been able to tell me what mounts I needed for it.

3006 -  What bases fit the gun?  Also please post a range report on it when you get the chance.

Ken

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
I handled one at Dick's  and it was very light in the hand and pointed great.  I would have walked out with it if they would have had a black one and been able to tell me what mounts I needed for it.

3006 -  What bases fit the gun?  Also please post a range report on it when you get the chance.

Ken
The bases that fit the 110 fit the 220. I hope to get out this weekend to shoot it in. Been pretty busy hunting then taken car of a 850 lb. moose since I picked this gun up but as soon as I get some time I will give a report.  8)

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »
hey thanks buddy!  looking forward to the range report, if it's a good one I may have to just get the camo model. 

takin' care of a moose??  ???

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:53 AM »
I used to have a savage 210F 12ga.  I know it's competely different than this, but it shot very very well.  I don't think you will be let down by a savage bolt action shotgun.  If my state was shotgun only I'd probably buy one too. 

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
hey thanks buddy!  looking forward to the range report, if it's a good one I may have to just get the camo model. 

takin' care of a moose??  ???
My son got drawn for a moose permit up here in Maine and got a great moose (850 lbs, 41" spread and 17 pts). I have been busy processing it for the freezer.

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
Had some time yesterday to shoot the 220 in and was very pleased with it. Shot the Hornady SST slugs and was very impressed. 50 yds 1" group and out at 100 yds 1 1/2" groups. Didn't go any further as them slugs are expensive. $3 a bang. :o :o But very happy with the performance of the gun and slugs. You get what you pay for. Now I just can't wait to get to Ohio for the shotgun season to see how well everything works out. Sorry it took so long to get back to you folks.  8) 8)

Offline Goss

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »
I also shoot Hornady SST's

You may want to order them from:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000038623

Get's you down to $2 a bang!! 

-Goss

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »
Here's a review posted by Randy Wakeman about the 220.  It's an interesting read.

http://randywakeman.com/Savage220F.htm

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
Hey thanks for the update, sounds like a real shooter!!  I'll be posting my range report soon because I went and got one right after I read this  ;D
They didn't have and couldn't get me the black one but the guy dropped the price to $449 for me so it made the camo a little more tolerable to me.  ;)    My only complaint is that you need a long scope because of the action length.  I put an old Simmons I use on all my rifles for testing accuracy on it for now to see what it likes and if it shoots real good then I'll put some nice glass on it.  I wish I'd kept that Leupold VX-II  that I just sold on here not long ago.  :'(

Ken

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »
I put an old 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner Lite Site on mine and it works fine. You are right your not going to get a short shotgun scope on it. Enjoy, mine shoots excellent! Couldn't be happier. I wanted the camo version but all I could get was the black so I took it. Doesn't matter what color it is as long as it shoots.  ;D ;D

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
and man does it shoot!!!!  I dropped a 6 point at a lasered 245yds.  I knew the gun and I were capable of the shot so I rested on my shooting stick and put the crosshairs right on the crease of the shoulder, then I slowly raised until my crosshairs were level with the spine (because the gun was sighted in 3" high at 100yds) so with my scope lined up I squeezed that great little 2 1/2 lb accutrigger and KABLOOOM the deer hits the ground.  What was really surprising and still blows my mind is that I hit the deer exactly where I was aiming in the spine!!!  The only explanation I can think of is that I sighted it in without without cleaning the barrel between shots because I forgot my boresnake and when I got home from the range I ran the boresnake through it a couple times, and maybe the gun has a higher point of impact with a clean barrel than it does after a couple fouling shots.  Only another trip to the range will confirm or dismiss this theory but either way, I am extremely happy with the gun. 

Hey 3006deerslayer,  are you interested in trading stocks?  I'm not sure if it will change the way the gun shoots or not, but I don't like the camo and was going to paint it, but if it does'nt change the way our guns shoot then we could swap if your interested. 

Ken

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
Now I got to get one ! the 210 needs company
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
shootall, you will not be disappointed.  I didn't take pics of my range trip as I was in a hurry to see what load it liked and get sighted in but I had 3 shots touching at 100yds with the Remington Accutip and Remington Copper Solid and since the Copper Solid was on sale for $7 and some change at Dicks I went with it and hurried back to buy 5 more boxes.  The 3" Federal Barnes load shot about an 1 1/2" group but one of the rounds failed to fire, so for my gun the Remington loads get the nod and since both the accutip and copper solid shoot to the same POI and have about the same size group I'll just get whichever is the cheapest when I need more.

Ken

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50:19 AM »
I like the 210 alot , all that is but the kick . Been using a 20 ga 870 when shots will be close 50 yards or so . Just got a bbl for it that is smooth with a carlson rifled choke which is better than the full rifled bbl will do . At 50 yards or so it will group with the holes touching . But to hold a group at 200 would be nice .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:30 AM »
Any opinions as to whether having this in black or camo really makes a difderence when hunting?

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
Mine is in black and it kills deer. Kensels is in camo and it kills deer. To me its not the color of the gun but the person behind it that kills the deer. They both look very nice. Each to there own.  8)

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 05:06:09 AM »
I too think it's personal preference. Long before camo came along my grandfather was killing deer in blue jeans and a red plaid jacket. I can only hope to put as many deer in the freezer as that man did in his 60 plus years of hunting.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline coop

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:24 AM »
Ordered mine yesterday in black... right around the $400-405 mark shipped. Good deal I thought. Figured on putting on a regular 3X9 rifle scope, since it almost "riflelike" according to several that have already purchased one. Already know what the Rem. Accutips can do...

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 08:30:37 AM »
I picked mine up today and will shoot it tomorrow.  Mounting the scope was a little tricky, though.  I used a Leupold VX-1 that I had and we needed offset rings to get it mounted right.  The only ammo I could get was Hornady hollow points, but I will try others once I can get them.   I didn't want to wait as Ohio has another weekend for deer this Saturday & Sunday.

Ammo sure isn't cheap.  I wonder if it will be possible to do some reloading since slugs are getting used in more and more states?  I know Ballistics Products has the components so I might give it a try some day.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »
No joy today.  I had a 5" group with Hornady Ballistic tips.  I also had 2 misfires out of 9 shots.  And yes I know about the 3 stage safety.  The primers were hit and I tried each misfire 3 times without them going off.  After a misfire other shells fired okay.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »
No joy today.  I had a 5" group with Hornady Ballistic tips.  I also had 2 misfires out of 9 shots.  And yes I know about the 3 stage safety.  The primers were hit and I tried each misfire 3 times without them going off.  After a misfire other shells fired okay.

I just relaized that my ammo was really Federal Barnes Expander.  I had 2 misfires out of 2 boxes and since KenSel also had a misfire with the same brand it makes me think something is wrong with the Federal Barnes Expanders.  I don't know how many Kensel shot, but I had 2 misfires out of 9 rounds.  Add his into the mix and that is a lot of misfires.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
I also wonder what the temperature was when KenSel had the misfire.  Could it be that the cold made my firing pin stick?  The primers did not have a deep dimple.  Just a thought.

A friend suggested I squirt a little contact cleaner in the firing pin to remove any excess oil.

Offline 3006 deerslayer

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »
I have not had a misfire with mine yet. Shooting Hornady SST. Fired about 50 rounds through her so far and not one issue. A great killing machine. Killed three with it in Ohio.

Offline coop

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
Star1pup... why offset rings, tube length???